Gable, Stephen

Stephen Cleburn Gable, Officer

Mangum Police Department

About 9 P.M. on Saturday, June 8, 1946, Officer Gable arrested Egtill Buddy McKinney, 35, for public drunk near the intersection of Jefferson and Pennsylvania Streets, northeast of the courthouse square. Officer Gable was escorting McKinney to jail when McKinney struck out at the officer with a knife and cut his throat on the left side, severing major arteries. Officer Gable, 50, died at the scene. Witnesses observed McKinney kick Officer Gable in the head several times as he lay dying. His wife and eight children survived Gable.


Joe Gaines, U.S. Marshal

U.S. Marshals

On Tuesday, August 22, 1893, Deputy Gains was assisting local officers in raiding gambling joints in Pauls Valley. After several arrests the officers went to the business of John Stevenson who was reportedly “under the influence of John Barleycorn”. When Gains tried to arrest Stevenson, he drew a .45 revolver and shot the deputy, killing him. Deputy Gains, 32, was mourned by his wife of two weeks. Stevenson was convicted and hanged by the Federal Court in Paris, Texas on September 13, 1895.


Galyon, Reese

Reese Franklin Galyon Jr., Patrolman

Oklahoma City Police Department

On Saturday, December 22, 1951, Officer Galyon, 34, was pursuing a speeding black Mercury convertible, north on Lincoln Boulevard near the State Capitol. The driver crowded Galyon’s police motorcycle in to the curb, causing him to crash at 80 miles per hour, killing him. The driver of the Mercury convertible kept going and was never located.


Gamble, Joe

Joe "Allen" Gamble, Sergeant

Oklahoma Department of Corrections

About 8:30 A.M. on Monday, June 5, 2000, Dorhee McKissick, an inmate at the Oklahoma State Reformatory in Granite, attacked Correctional Officer William Callaway and stabbed him 13 times with a homemade knife called a “shank”. Sgt. Gamble saw the assault and went to Callaway’s rescue during which McKissick stabbed Gamble twice in the neck. The wound severed both arteries in Gamble’s neck. Gamble died at 9 A.M. the next morning, June 6th, at Jackson County Hospital in Altus. Callaway survived the attack. Gamble was survived by his wife, Sherri, three sons and a step-son.


John Garrett, Deputy U.S. Marshal

U.S. Marshals

On Tuesday, July 30, 1895, the five members of the Rufus Buck gang were inside Parkinson’s grocery store at Seventh and Morton Streets in Okmulgee preparing to rob it, when Deputy Garrett entered the store. Rufus Buck immediately shot Deputy Garrett fatally. For the next two weeks the gang embarked on a spree of brutal rapes, robberies, horse thefts, shootings and at least one other murder. The gang was involved in a seven-hour shootout with other deputy marshals, Creek Indian Police and over 100 Creek citizens on August 10th and finally surrendered. All five members of the gang were hung together at Fort Smith on July 1, 1896.


Robert S Garrett, City Marshal


About 4 P.M. on Tuesday, February 2, 1909, City Marshal Garrett along with County Commissioner Giles went to where a new road was to be laid out leading to the west edge of a new medal bridge that would cross Beaver Creek about five miles from Hastings. Part of the land for the road was on the land of F. M. Powers and had been condemned by the county for building the road. Garrett and Giles were met at a gate at the site of the new road by Powers and his son Lee. The men talked for a few minutes before Lee Powers struck Mr. Giles in the face with his fist. Mr. Giles made a rush for Lee Powers but Lee pulled a gun and shot at Giles missing him. Marshal Garrett pulled his gun and told the younger Powers to drop his gun. Lee Powers instead fired the gun and the bullet struck Marshal Garrett in the abdomen. Garrett then shot Lee Powers dead. Marshal Garrett recovered from his wound and later resigned as Hastings City Marshal. Garrett’s wife had died a couple months before he was shot.   The afternoon of Saturday, October 16, 1909, Garrett was in Hastings when he was approached by Harvey Powers, brother of Lee Powers, and shot in the head several times in revenge for the death of his brother. A Hasting business man named J. A. Cornellus was standing near Garret and was also shot and killed by a stray bullet.  Garrett left behind several young children.


Garrison, Garland

Garland Lee Garrison, Officer

Oklahoma City Airport Police

About 8:30 A.M. on Wednesday, September 19, 1979, Officer Garrison, 50, and his partner Teresa Wells, 24, responded to a call of a woman with a young boy walking near the airport, throwing clothes in the street and acting strangely. The officers encountered Rita Nauni, 31, and her 10-year-old son, Raymond, in the 5400 block of South Meridian. As Garrison was placing the young Raymond in the police car, Rita Nauni attacked Officer Wells and gained control of her service weapon. Nauni then shot Garrison under the right armpit and Wells in the upper left thigh. Nauni then got in the police car and drove away. She was apprehended a short time later following a pursuit and a collision with other police cars at NW 39th and the south bound I-44 entrance ramp. Garrison died shortly after arriving at South Community Hospital. Officer Wells survived her wound. Garrison left behind his wife, Evva, and four children.


Gary Garrison, Sergeant

Canadian County Sheriff’s Office

Sergeant Garrison, 64, had been with the Canadian County Sheriff’s Office for seventeen years when he suffered a fatal heart attack while on duty on Saturday, February 1, 2014. Garrison was an Army veteran and had worked at the Federal Correction Institute in El Reno before becoming a deputy.


Garrison, George

George Washington Garrison, Sheriff

Oklahoma County Sheriff's Office

On Friday, June 5, 1908, Sheriff Garrison and two of his deputies, Tod Warden and M. L. Sanders, had gone to Watonga by train. They were met by Blaine County Sheriff G. A. McArthur and his deputy, M. B. Skien. From Watonga the five lawmen traveled by buggy to Hitchcock, then about three miles east to the Dobbs place in search of Alf Hunter, alias James Kingsbury, who was wanted for murder in Oklahoma County. The lawmen soon located Hunter and became involved in a running gun battle with him in a hayfield. Sheriff Garrison was shot in the left side of the neck, severing the jugular vein and died almost instantaneously. Deputy Sanders and Alf Hunter were also wounded but Hunter escaped. Deputy Sanders survived his wound. Hunter was apprehended in Pine Bluff, Arkansas in October of 1909, returned to Watonga for trial, found guilty of the murder of Sheriff Garrison and hanged on April 8, 1909. Alf Hunter was the only person ever legally hanged in Blaine County.


Garrison, Melvin

Melvin L. "Bucky" Garrison Jr., Game Warden

Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation

State Game Warden Garrison, 25, left home about 4 P.M. on Monday, December 26, 1971, telling his wife, Marie, that he was going to Lake Eufaula to work duck poachers and he would be home late. When he had not returned by early the next morning a search was launched. Warden Garrison’s flashlight was found floating in shallow water in the area known as “Hoffman Bottoms”, two miles east of Hoffman. Warden Garrison’s body was located in that area about 2:20 P.M. the afternoon of December 27. An autopsy indicated that Garrison had died as a result of drowning. Subsequent investigations were unable to sustain allegations of foul play however the engraved shotgun he always carried has never been located. Warden Garrison also left behind two young daughters.


John Garritson, City Marshal/Posseman

City of Delaware

On Saturday, January 6, 1917, 31-year-old Delaware merchant, John Garritson and his brother Ed were members of a posse led by Delaware City Marshal, Charles Bullock. The posse had trailed suspects in an armed robbery in Delaware the night before to a wooded gulch called Blue Canyon, northeast of Nowata. At the edge of the canyon the robbery suspects, members of the Poe-Hart Gang, ambushed the posse. Marshal Bullock and John Garritson were shot to death and Ed Garritson was wounded but survived.


Gaston, Albert

Albert "Creel" Gaston, Sheriff

Woodward County Sheriff's Office

Shortly after 2:30 P.M. on January 6, 1982, Sheriff Gaston was investigating a report of someone stealing gasoline from parked cars in rural Woodward County. Near the intersection of Highways 270 and 34, he saw a car parked at the side of the road that fit the description of the suspect vehicle in the thefts. As the Sheriff approached the car, the driver, David M. Behrens, 23, shot him once in the chest with a .38 pistol. The bullet penetrated one lung and lodged against his spine, paralyzing the Sheriff from the waist down. After many months in the hospital the Sheriff recovered enough to complete the last two years of his term confined to a wheelchair. David Behrens was convicted of shooting the Sheriff and sentenced to 144 years in prison. The Sheriff suffered long term complications from his wound. He died on February 12, 1986, from pneumonia following surgery earlier in January for an infection. Sheriff Gaston was 70 years old at the time of his death and was survived by his wife, Max.


Gates, Douglas

Douglas W. Gates, Detective

Oklahoma City Police Department

On the morning of Sunday, December 3, 1933, Detective Gates, 23, and his partner, Webb Campbell, became involved in a pursuit with a stolen car near the State Capitol. The stolen car stopped a few blocks west at NW 23rd Street and N. Robinson Street. As the officers approached the car, the driver, Ernest Oglesby, fired at them through the car’s rear window and started to drive off. Detective Campbell, a former University of Oklahoma football player, jumped on the car’s rear bumper and began exchanging shots with Oglesby with Gates starting to follow in the police unit. Oglesby wreaked the car before clearing the intersection, throwing Campbell clear of the wreckage with glass in his eyes. Oglesby shot Gates twice as he approached the car then ran off. Gates died later that day. Oglesby was arrested a few hours later, convicted of Gates’ murder and died in Oklahoma’s electric chair on January 4, 1935. Detective Gates’ younger brother Patrolman John “Jack” Gates was killed in the line of duty three years earlier. Detective Campbell died in the line of duty five years after his partner’s death.


Gates, John

John D. "Jack" Gates, Patrolman

Oklahoma City Police Department

On Saturday, March 22, 1930, three weeks after joining the police department, Patrolman Gates was assigned inside the Clarence Saunders store at 1412 North Robinson to guard against armed robberies as the store was robbed the month before and the manager was shot. About 9 P.M. two armed men robbed the store. As Gates stepped out to try to stop the robbery, one of the robbers shot him three times with a .32 automatic pistol, wounding him in both arms and chest, just above the heart. Officer Gates was immediately taken across the street to the Polyclinic Hospital. In spite of being so close to medical attention the 26-year-old officer died at 5:35 P.M. the next day, Sunday, March 23rd. The armed robbers, H. D. Bradbury and Charlie Points, were later arrested, convicted and sentenced to life in prison. Jack Gates’ older brother, Douglas, also died in the line of duty three years later.


James H. Gibson, Night City Marshal

City of Dewey

About 2 A.M. on Tuesday, April 27, 1915, Marshal Gibson tried to arrest Nathan Bozarth, who was drunk and holding a crowd at bay with his gun after shooting one man. When Marshal Gibson approached Bozarth he was shot in the chest and abdomen by Bozarth. Marshal Gibson, 40, died from his wounds the afternoon of May 5th in a Bartlesville hospital. Bozarth was later cornered in a livery barn by a deputy sheriff and committed suicide before he could be arrested.


James P. Gibson, Deputy Sheriff

Nowata County Sheriff's Office

Shortly after noon on Friday, September 29, 1916, two prisoners, Mark Foreman and Sonny Powell, attacked Sheriff James Mayes in the Nowata County jail in an attempt to escape. As Deputy Gibson ran to assist the sheriff, Foreman got control of the sheriff’s gun and shot Gibson fatally. Taking the dead deputy’s gun the pair escaped. The pair was arrested less than three hours later. At 8:30 P.M. that night a large mob of citizens broke the pair out of jail and lynched them. Powell was hanged from a tree across the street from the county court house and Foreman was hanged from a nearby light post.


W. Jacob "Jake" Giles, Sheriff

Jefferson County Sheriff's Office - Texas

On Friday, March 24, 1916, Sheriff Giles was transporting Paul V. Hadley, 30, by train back to Beaumont, Texas from Kansas City, Missouri, on a warrant for assault with intent to kill. Also traveling with the men was Hadley’s 22-year-old wife, Ida. The sheriff had known the couple for several years and trusted them and therefore had not handcuffed Paul or searched Ida. Just before the train entered Checotah, Oklahoma, Ida Hadley retrieved a pistol she had apparently hidden in the women’s toilet previously. Walking up behind the sheriff, she shot him fatally once in the head. Paul Hadley took the dead sheriff’s gun, forced the train to stop and the pair got off in Checotah. The couple was arrested the next night near Texanna. Paul Hadley was convicted and sentenced to life in prison and Ida was found not guilty by reason of insanity. The day after her trial ended, Ida pled guilty to attempting to aid her husband’s escape and was sentenced to ten years in prison. Sheriff Giles left behind a wife and nine children, ages 4 to 19.


Isaac Lincoln "Ike" Gilstrap
, Deputy U.S. Marshal

U.S. Marshals

On Monday, March 12, 1906, Deputy Gilstrap was leading a posse in pursuit of Charley Wickliffe and his gang, which included his brothers John and Tom, on Little Sabine Creek, 25 miles southeast of Vinita. About 4 P.M. that afternoon the Wickliffes ambushed the posse. Deputy Gilstrap was shot in the head and killed and one other member of the posse, Dick Terry, was wounded but survived. The posse retreated for reinforcements. When they returned, the gang had escaped. Checking Deputy Gilstarp’s body, it appeared that in addition to his initial head wound, one of the gang had stood over his prostrate body and fired another shot into one of his eyes. His wife and several daughters survived Deputy Gilstrap.


Herbert Melvin Goddard, Deputy U.S. Marshal

U.S. Marshal Service

Sometime on Monday August 13, 1900, Deputy Goddard attempted to arrest a 20 year old full blood Choctaw Indian named Ambrose “Ombus” Wilson, three miles south of Goodwater in what is now McCurtain County. Wilson shot Deputy Goddard and Goddard returned fire with his shotgun hitting Wilson nine times with buckshot breaking one of his arms before he escaped. Deputy Goddard died the next day. Wilson was arrested from under his uncle’s house where he had been hiding a week later and taken to South McAlester.  Deputy Goddard was survived by his wife Mary Emma and four young children.


Godfrey, Fred

Fred C. Godfrey, Day Sergeant

Oklahoma Department of Corrections

Godfrey, 38, was one of seven people killed during a prison escape about 4:20 P.M. on Monday, January 19, 1914, at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary in McAlester. Three escaping convicts, Tom Lane, Chiney Reed and Charles Kuntz (or Koontz) became involved in a gun battle with Deputy Warden D. C. Oates near his office just as Bertillon Officer Herman H. Drover was coming out of his office. Drover was killed by gunfire from convict Tom Lane. Oates ran down the hall for more guns and ammunition. The convicts burst into the office of Deputy Warden Oates and confronted stenographer Mary Foster, Day Sergeant Fred Godfrey, parole officer Frank Rice and attorney John R. Thomas. The convicts ordered everyone to raise their hands. The elderly Thomas moved to slow for them so Lane shot him fatally. Sergeant Godfrey then attacked Lane. Lane shot Sergeant Godfrey in the head, killing him instantly. The convicts then took Miss Foster and parole officer Rice as protection and hostages and moved back into the hallway where Deputy Warden Oates met them with a shotgun. Oates ordered Lane to drop his gun but Lane shot and killed Oates. The group then moved outside and got into a buggy. They started across the prison farm field. R. J. Richie, keeper of the prisons bloodhounds, pursued the group, caught up to them and was able to shoot and kill the three convicts.


Emmett Goodwin, Chief

Chickasha Police Department

About 9 P.M. on Monday, February 1, 1909, Chief Goodwin and his brother-in-law, Officer Joe Earl, were walking down Chickasha Avenue. In front of People’s Store they met Night Chief of Police Bill Thomas. The discussion soon turned to some critical statements that Thomas had made about “the town running wide open”, indicating it was Chief Goodwin’s fault. Goodwin told Thomas that he had as much authority to correct the situation as Goodwin did. Thomas immediately drew his gun and shot Chief Goodwin three times in the head, one of the bullets penetrating his brain, killing him. Officer Earl and Chief Thomas then began exchanging shots. Officer Earl was wounded three times but survived. Chief Thomas was not injured and surrendered himself at the police station and was charged with Goodwin’s murder. His wife and seven children survived Chief Goodwin.


Franklin Walter Goss, Constable

City of Chouteau

About 11 A.M. on Thursday, MAY 9, 1957, Constable Goss had Justice of the Peace Will C. Rector riding with him in his patrol unit when they were involved in a traffic accident with a south-bound MK&T Railroad train. Both men died from their injuries.


Gossett, Irvin

Irvin Burgin Gossett, Chief

Duncan Police Department

Just after midnight on Tuesday, May 13, 1930, Stephens County Sheriff Waldo A. Williams, Undersheriff Ed Sumrill, Duncan Chief Gossett, Assistant Chief Charles Coker and Night Policeman W. F. McKinzey had stopped a black Buick that “looked brand new” south bound on Highway 81 about 4 miles north of Duncan. The lawmen were looking for a Buick of this description containing four men wanted in connection with several armed robberies in the area in recent months including one at a service station in Lawton a few hours before. The men in the Buick were the Cunningham brothers, Forrest “Doc”, 27, John B., 25, Emanuel “Skinney”, 23, and Jess “Jake”, 18. As the officers approached the Buick and it’s occupants were getting out, a gunfight broke out. When it was over Sheriff Williams was wounded in the stomach, chest and leg, and died at 2:30 P.M. that afternoon. Chief Gossett was wounded in the stomach. Forrest Cunningham was dead, John was wounded in the arm and stomach, Emanuel was shot in the spine and paralyzed for life and Jess had escaped. Jess was captured later in Colorado and all three surviving brothers pled guilty to the Sheriff’s murder and were given life sentences. Chief Gossett was given a direct blood transfusion and eventually recovered enough to return to work but he was never well and died Saturday, October 7, 1939 from the effects of his wound. His wife, Angie, and two sons survived Chief Gossett.

Osie R. Gourd, Deputy Sheriff

Cherokee County Sheriff's Office

Shortly after 5 P.M. on Thursday, May 12, 1938, Deputy Gourd and two other deputies located escaped convicts A. L. Whitham and Clovis Montgomery, in a combination café/dance hall in Camp Cook, five miles north of Tahlequah. The pair was also wanted for a recent armed robbery in Walking Stick Spring. As the deputies approached the two men, Whitham opened fire on Deputy Gourd without warning, shooting him in the stomach. Deputy Gourd shot Whitham five times with his Winchester rifle before he fell dead. When he tried to flee Whitham was shot again by one of the other deputies. Whitham also died at the scene. His wife and five children survived Deputy Gourd.


J. Boley Grady, Deputy U.S. Marshal

U.S. Marshals

On Sunday, July 17, 1898, Deputy U. S. Marshals Grady and L S Hill were attempting to serve warrants on Floyd Simpson and a man named Self for disturbing a religious meeting. Deputy Grady wrestled Floyd Simpson to the ground when he resisted arrest. Floyd Simpson’s father, W. Jasper Simpson went up to Deputy Grady and shot him in the neck with a .45 revolver. When Deputy Hill approached the elder Simpson shot him in the chest. Deputy Grady died immediately and Deputy Hill died within an hour


Graham, Jefferson

Jefferson Davis "J.D." Graham, City Marshal

City of Temple

About 9:30 P.M. on Saturday, April 27, 1929, Marshal Graham, 63, removed drunk flour mill worker Harry Adair from a Temple pool hall and ordered him to go home. A short time later Adair returned with a 12-gauge shotgun and confronted Marshal Graham in the street. Marshal Graham again told Adair to go home and sleep it off. Marshal Graham turned to walk away when Adair fired the shotgun. The blast fired from less than six feet away struck the popular Marshal in the back of the head, killing him instantly. His wife Fannie and ten children survived Marshal Graham. Adair was convicted of Graham’s murder and sentenced to forty years in prison but while out on appeal was shot and killed by Marshal Graham’s son, Jim. Jim Graham was later acquitted of Adair’s murder.


Albert Graves, Chief

Custer Police Department

About 1 A.M. on Tuesday, July 31, 1928, Chief Graves, 57, was called to the home of Buzz and Ella Wilson on a family quarrel. Buzz Wilson had already left prior to the Chief’s arrival. Ella Wilson was armed and waiting behind a hedge when the Chief arrived. Thinking it was her husband coming back to take the family car, Ella opened fire on the Chief killing him. Before he died, the Chief was able to return four shots of which one struck Ella in the leg. His wife, a son and four daughters survived Chief Graves. Ella Wilson was tried three times before being found guilty of killing the Chief but only served one year of her seven-year sentence.


George Calvin Green, Jr., Captain

Oklahoma Highway Patrol

Captain Green, 56, was involved in an on duty accident involving a dump truck just off the Turner Turnpike near Sapulpa on Monday afternoon October 25th, 2010.  Investigators are still gathering information, but early signs indicate Captain Green's view was blocked by a truck-trailer and he unknowingly turned his patrol car into the path of a dump truck.  Captain Green suffered multiple injuries and passed away from his injuries the following afternoon about 3:30 P.M. Captain Green is survived by his wife and children.  He was to have retired in 6 months.



John Green, Deputy Sheriff

Creek Tribe, I.T.

Deputy Green was killed Sunday, December 25, 1878, by another Creek Indian named Yahola north of Muskogee. Yahola was later arrested, convicted and executed by shooting in Eufaula. Under Creek law, the condemned man could pick his own executioner. Yahola picked Deputy Sheriff Joe Riley, a deputy under Sheriff Richard Berryhill.


Green, Nikky

Nikky Joe Green, Trooper

Oklahoma Highway Patrol

About 6:30 A.M. Friday, December 26, 2003, Trooper Green, 35, stopped to assist what he thought was a disabled vehicle on a rural Cotton County road about a mile from US 70 north of Devol, about five miles north of the Texas state line. Trooper Green soon discovered that the car was a mobile meth lab. When Trooper Green attempted to arrest the driver, a struggle ensued and Trooper Green lost control of his weapon. Trooper Green was shot in the head, killing him. His wife Linda and three young daughters survive Trooper Green.
Ricky Ray Malone was arrested, convicted and sentenced to death for the first degree murder of Trooper Green.


Greer, Hugh

Hugh G. Greer, Officer

Tulsa Police Department

Shortly after midnight on Friday, April 27, 1962, Officer Greer and his partner, Corporal Ray Burch, responded to a possible burglary in progress call at the rear of the Safeway store at 17th Street and South Boston Avenue. As the officers approached two men at the back door of the store the men began running through the adjoining residential area. The officers caught the men in the rear of 1725 South Baltimore Avenue at which time one of the men, Joe Allen Johnson, 23, grabbed Officer Greer’s gun and emptied it at both officers. Officer Greer was hit twice in the upper right chest and Burch was shot in the mouth. Burch then shot Johnson in the chest. Officer Greer, 37, died an hour later in the hospital. Burch survived his wound. Joe Allen Johnson was arrested a block from the scene and the second man, Dennis Lee McGinnis, 21, was arrested eight hours later. Both men were charged with Officer Greer’s murder. Officer Greer left behind a wife, a son and two daughters.


Grimes, James

James Pat Grimes, Second Lieutenant

Oklahoma Highway Patrol

On Friday morning, May 26, 1978, the nation wide search for two escaped convicts, Claude Eugene Dennis, 35, and Michael Charles Lancaster, 25, centered around Lake Texhoma. The pair had escaped from the Oklahoma State Penitentiary in McAlester thirty-four days earlier. Since then the pair had engaged in a crime spree that covered 1,000 miles from Oklahoma to Alabama and included seven murders. They also had wounded a police officer in Alabama. Highway Patrol (OHP) Troopers were sent from all over Oklahoma to assist in the search. That morning a farmer in Kenefic reported that two heavily armed men tied him up and stole his pickup truck. The description of the pickup was broadcast to all units in the area. OHP Troopers Houston F. “Pappy” Summers, 62, and Billy Gene Young, 50, located the pickup on Highway 48 eight miles north of Durant and pursued it north to near Kenefic. The pickup finally pulled over to the side of the road. As the troopers patrol unit came to a stop behind the pickup the two convicts opened fire on them. Both Trooper Summers and Young were killed. The convicts then traveled east on Highway 22 into Caddo with their location being broadcast by an OHP airplane that was following them overhead. Once in Caddo the pickup pulled into a driveway on Court Street, the two convicts jumped out and hid behind some nearby shrubbery. Almost immediately, an unmarked OHP unit pulled up in front of the driveway driven by Lt. Hoyt Hughes with his partner, Lt. Pat Grimes, 36. The convicts opened fire on the troopers immediately, killing Trooper Grimes. Trooper Hughes was also wounded but after empting his pistol retrieved a semi-automatic rifle from his dead partners lap and emptied it at the convicts, killing Lancaster. Other troopers soon arrived and in the continuing shootout killed Dennis. His wife, Kay and a daughter survived Trooper Grimes. May 26, 1978, “Black Friday” was the worst day in the 40-year history of the OHP, however less than two months later three more troopers would die in the line of duty.


Grundy, Duane

Duane Lee Grundy, Trooper

Oklahoma Highway Patrol

Shortly after 2 A.M. on Wednesday, April 11, 1990, Trooper Grundy, 40, was on the shoulder of the west-bound lanes of the Will Rogers Turnpike, nine miles north of Vinita issuing a citation for a burned out headlight to the driver of a van, which was towing another van. Trooper Grundy’s patrol unit was parked behind the vans with the emergency lights on. Trooper Grundy was walking toward the back of the towed van to get a license plate number when he was struck by a passing 1975 Chevrolet pickup traveling at 60 miles an hour. Trooper Grundy was knocked into the van and died instantly. The driver of the van used Grundy’s unit radio to call for help. The driver of the pickup, James A. Grundy, 68, (no relation to the trooper) was charged with negligent homicide. His wife, Deborah, a daughter and a son, survived Trooper Grundy.


James H. Guy, U.S. Marshal/Sergeant

U.S. Marshals/U.S. Indian Police

On Friday, May 1, 1885, Deputy Guy had arrest warrants for the Lee brothers, Tom “Pink” and Jim for cattle theft and a warrant for Della Humby for murdering his wife. Humby was believed to be hiding out with the Lee’s at their ranch, near Dresden (now Gene Autry) a small town northeast of Ardmore. Marshal Guy deputized a posse of about 15 men, including William “Bill” Kirksey and brothers Andrew and Jim Roff. The posse approached the Lee ranch soon after dawn that Friday morning. The ranch house was occupied by “Pink” and Jim Lee, their brother-in-law, Ed Stein and Della Humby. As the posse approached the front of the house the occupants opened fire on them. Marshal Guy and his possemen, Andrew Roff, Jim Roff and William Kirksey were all shot and killed. The rest of the posse retreated and the men in the house escaped. The Lee brothers were killed in a shootout with lawmen September 7th. The other men were later arrested and acquitted at their trials.