Oklahoma Law Enforcement Memorial

David Warner "Rocky" Eales -Trooper

Oklahoma Highway Patrol

About 12:30 a.m. Friday, September 24, 1999, Trooper David “Rocky” Eales, 49, and his tactical team partner Trooper John “Buddy” Hamilton, 39, were in a Ford Bronco, the lead vehicle of several law enforcement vehicles which converged on the shanty of Kenneth Eugene Barrett, 38, about five miles northwest of Sallisaw, with an arrest warrant for Kenneth Barrett and a search warrant. As Trooper “Rocky” Eales stopped the Bronco in front of the shack and prepared to exit the vehicle Kenneth Barrett stepped on to his front porch and sprayed gunfire from an AR-15 rifle. One of the bullets hit Trooper “Rocky” Eales under his right armpit, traveled across his chest and exited out his left side. Trooper “Buddy” Hamilton was hit in the eye and shoulder with fragments from glass and/or bullets. Other officers in the caravan opened fire on Kenneth Barrett wounding him. Trooper David “Rocky” Eales died in route to the hospital.

David “Rocky” Eales had been a State Trooper for twenty years and was survived by his wife Kelli, young son Hayden “Mackey” and daughter Allison “Alli”.

David “Rocky” Eales is buried in Oak Hill Memorial Park Cemetery, McAlester, Pittsburg County, Oklahoma.

Kenneth Barrett was convicted of first-degree manslaughter in his second state trial after the first trial ended in a mistrial. Barrett was sentenced to thirty years in the state prison.  

In Kenneth Barrett’s federal trial for intentionally killing a law enforcement officer during the commission of a drug trafficking crime and related weapons charges, he was found guilty of all charges and sentenced to death.

OLEM – 4S-2-7    NLEOM – 49E21

September 24, 2021

Joe Earl – Officer

Chickasha Police Department

About 9 p.m. on Monday, February 1, 1909, Chickasha Chief of Police Emmett Goodwin, 45, and his brother-in-law, Officer Joe Earl, were walking down Chickasha Avenue. In front of People’s Store the two officers met Night Chief of Police Bill Thomas. The discussion soon turned to some critical statements that Night Chief Bill Thomas had made about “the town running wide open”, indicating it was Chief Emmitt Goodwin’s fault. Chief Goodwin told Bill Thomas that he had as much authority to correct the situation as Goodwin did. Night Chief Bill Thomas immediately drew his .38 caliber automatic pistol and shot Chief Emmett Goodwin three times in the head, one of the bullets penetrating his brain, killing him.

Officer Joe Earl and Chief Bill Thomas then began exchanging shots. Officer Joe Earl was wounded three times but survived his wounds.

Chief Bill Thomas was not injured and surrendered himself at the police station and was charged with Chief Goodwin’s murder.

O.L.E.M. – 8S-1-22

February 15, 2021

Sean David Earp - Deputy Sheriff

Mayes County Sheriffs Office

On Sunday morning July 27, 1997, Deputy Sean Earp, 22, had gone south of the small town of Rose on a call of a man with a gun. Finding the man gone Deputy Sean Earp radioed that he would check the turnpike for the man.

At about 10:25 a.m. Deputy Sean Earp was traveling north on a county road and turned on to Highway 412, in his haste disregarding a stop sign. Deputy Sean Earp’s county cruiser was struck by an eastbound vehicle and pushed seventy-three feet into the front of a flea market building.

Deputy Sean Earp was pinned in his patrol car for forty minutes and was pronounced dead at the scene. The two men in the other vehicle received minor injuries.

Deputy Sean Earp, who had only been a full-time deputy sheriff twenty-seven days, was survived by his parents and was buried in Hogan Cemetery, Locust Grove, Mayes County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 4S-1-21    NLEOM – 31E20

February 15, 2021

Cyrus W “Ted” Eaton – Deputy Sheriff,

Stevens County, Kansas

Stevens County, Kansas was just north of what was then called “No man’s land” and later became the Oklahoma panhandle.

The towns of Hugoton and Woodsdale in Stevens County became embroiled in a bitter county seat war in 1886. Hugoton was finally named the county seat. John M. Cross was elected Sheriff of Stevens County over Sam Robinson in a desperately fought race. The embittered Sam Robinson became City Marshal of Hugoton.

In early 1888, City Marshal Sam Robinson processed some county bounds to try and encourage railroad development in the area. His opponents claimed Robinson had illegally overstepped his authority and got a warrant issued for Sam Robinson’s arrest. Sam Robinson and some of his allies fought off attempts to serve the warrant in Hugoton.

In July of 1888, Sam Robinson went into “No man’s land” on a camping trip. Woodsdale City Marshal Charles “Ed” Short and a posse were sent to arrest Robinson while he was away from Hugoton. Unable to locate Sam Robinson, City Marshal Ed Short sent back word for more men. County Sheriff John Cross deputized a posse of four men, Ted Eaton, Bob Hubbard, Roland Wilcox, and Herbert Tonney and rode out with them to assist City Marshal Ed Short.

In the meantime, City Marshal Ed Short had lost his way and became involved in a gun battle with a posse from Hugoton that pursued him back to Woodsdale.

Sam Robinson had learned that Ed Short and his posse were searching for him and returned to Hugoton, recruited a fifteen-man posse and started back to “No man’s land” after Ed Short, unaware that Short had already been chased back to Woodsdale.

On Wednesday, July 25, 1888, unable to find Ed Short or Sam Robinson, Sheriff John Cross and his deputies were returning to Woodsdale when they encountered some men working in a hayfield. The officers bedded down for the night in the hayfield in what is now northern Cimarron County, Oklahoma. The five officers were awakened a few hours later and found themselves the prisoners of Hugoton City Marshal Sam Robinson and his posse. One by one Sheriff John Cross and his four deputies were gunned down by Sam Robinson and his men. The hay workers witnessed the shootings but were not harmed. This became known as “The Hayfield Massacre”. Hugoton City Marshal Sam Robinson and his posse then returned to Hugoton.

Sheriff John Cross, Deputies Ted Eaton, Bob Hubbard, and Roland Wilcox died at the scene, but Deputy Herbert Tonney survived, and made his way back to Stevens County to testify against Sam Robinson and his posse.  City Marshal Sam Robinson and five of his posse were tried, convicted, and sentenced to be hanged by the Federal Court in Paris, Texas.  They were all released later on appeal when the U. S. Supreme Court ruled that the Paris Federal Court had no jurisdiction in the murder cases as “No Man’s Land” was not part of the United States at the time of the murders.  They were never tried again. “No Man’s Land” was made a part of the Oklahoma Territory by The Oklahoma Organic Act of 1890.

Deputy Cyrus “Ted” Eaton was never married and was buried in Woodsdale Cemetery, but his grave was moved in 1930 to Moscow Cemetery, Moscow, Steven’s County, Kansas.

OLEM – 4N-3-17     NLEOM –

July 25, 2021


August Lee Edwards - Deputy Sheriff

Sequoyah County Sheriff's Office

On Thursday evening, Christmas Eve, 1925, Deputy August Edwards, 32, and the rural town of Gans’ Constable Luther Lewellen were looking for a man named I. L. Martin, 22, who reportedly was seen carrying a revolver.

About 9 p.m. they located Martin with two other black men in a buggy on a road three miles west of Gans. The two officers pulled their car in front of the buggy and got out. As the officers approached the buggy and advised I. L. Martin he was under arrest, Martin pulled his gun and shot Deputy August Edwards once in the forehead, killing him instantly. I. L. Martin then escaped on foot into the brush but was arrested early the next morning, Christmas Day, and charged with the murder of Deputy August Edwards.

Deputy August Edwards was survived by his wife Danna and their adopted daughter Lois and is buried in the Mitchell Cemetery, Gans, Sequoyah County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 10S-1-1    NLEOM – 1E29

February 15, 2021

Frank Edwards - Officer

Tahlequah Police Department

Shortly after 4 a.m. on Sunday, September 17, 1932, Officer Frank Edwards was part of a four-member posse formed by Muskogee County Deputy Sheriff Webster Reece in an attempt to apprehend three men wanted for the murder of a women earlier in the month near Braggs.

The posse set up a roadblock in a curve of a rural highway near Standing Rock on the Illinois River about twenty miles south of Tahlequah. A police car was placed across the road with Deputy Webster Reece behind it to signal the other officers, who were concealed beside the road, with a flashlight. A car came into the curve faster than expected and skidded to a stop blowing out one of the tires. Deputy Webster Reece signaled with the flashlight and was immediately shot and killed by the occupants of the stopped car. The other officers opened fire on the car. Officer Frank Edwards was wounded in the neck. When the shooting stopped the officers approached the car and found one of the men dead and the other two had escaped. Officer Frank Edwards was taken to the Tahlequah Hospital.

The other two men who escaped were cornered the next day and killed but not before killing two more law enforcement officers.


Officer Frank Edwards recovered well enough to be released from the hospital a couple weeks later. Over the next three weeks Officer Edwards went downtown a couple times. Still weak he caught pneumonia and was taken to the hospital on Tuesday, October 25th and died at 1:20 p.m. that afternoon.

Officer Frank Edwards left behind his wife Blanche and is buried in Tahlequah Cemetery, Tahlequah, Cherokee County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 4S-3-7    NLEOM – 61W23

February 15, 2021


Paul Douglas Eirwin Sr - Agent

Oklahoma Alcoholic Beverage Law Enforcement Comm.

Paul Eirwin was born on February 19, 1949, in Clinton, Oklahoma. Paul Eirwin served two years in the U.S. Army as a paratrooper. Paul Eirwin joined the Oklahoma Alcoholic Beverage Law Enforcement Commission (A.B.L.E.) on July 7, 1978.

The morning of Saturday, March 14, 1992, Agent Paul Eirwin, then a fourteen-year veteran of the Oklahoma Alcoholic Beverage Law Enforcement Commission, was traveling from Clinton to Durant to meet another agent to inspect a club. Four miles north of Alfalfa in Caddo County on Highway 58, A.B.L.E. Agent Paul Eirwin, 43, was involved in a traffic accident and died of his injuries.

Agent Paul Eirwin, Sr. is buried in Parkersburg Cemetery, Parkersburg, Custer County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 2N-2-28    NLEOM – 37E18

February 14, 2022

Edward Allen Elliott - Trooper

Oklahoma Highway Patrol

Late Thursday night, August 21, 1980, Trooper Edward Elliott, 42, and his partner, Trooper Tom Flanagan, stopped a semi-truck pulling a lowboy trailer for speeding on the H. E. Baily Turnpike, eight miles north of Elgin. The two troopers and the truck driver, John S. Carr, were standing between the highway patrol unit and the lowboy trailer when a car driven by David J. Laase ran into the back of the highway patrol unit at about fifty-five miles an hour. Trooper Tom Flanagan and truck driver John Carr were knocked onto the lowboy trailer and sustained minor injuries. Trooper Edward Elliott was knocked under the lowboy trailer, sustaining fatal internal injuries. Trooper Edward Elliott was pronounced dead upon arrival at the hospital just after midnight, on August 22nd.

The driver of the car, David Laase was charged with negligent homicide.

Trooper Edward Elliott had been a state trooper fourteen years. He was survived by his wife, Wanda, a son and two stepdaughters and is buried in Woodlawn Cemetery, Claremore, Rogers County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 2N-1-11    NLEOM – 51E11

February 16, 2021

Jesse W. Elliott - Deputy Sheriff

Rogers County Sheriff's Office

Deputy Sheriff Jesse Elliott, 40, was in Catoosa serving legal papers on Thursday, November 3, 1892, when he became involved in a fight in a pool hall with Bob Rogers alias Bob Talton, 19, who was on probation for horse stealing. It was reported that both men were drunk. Bob Rogers knocked Deputy Sheriff Jesse Elliott to the floor and started beating him unmercifully. Bystanders pulled Bob Rogers off Deputy Sheriff Elliott and hustled him outside. Deputy Sheriff Jesse Elliott was detained inside until he had fully revived. When Deputy Sheriff Jesse Elliott recovered and felt able, he got on his horse and rode out of town.


Deputy Sheriff Jesse Elliott had only ridden a short distance from Catoosa when Bob Rogers jumped from his hiding spot by the side of the road. Bob Rogers grabbed the horse’s reins, pulled the startled deputy sheriff from the saddle, and wrestled him to the ground. Bob Rogers then slit Deputy Sheriff Jesse Elliott’s throat with a knife, then rode off leaving the bleeding deputy sheriff by the side of the road. A traveler witnessed Bob Rogers riding off and tried to help Deputy Sheriff Elliott, but Elliott died moments later.


Deputy U.S. Marshal John Taylor was notified. A doctor Warren and other neighbors planned to watch the body of Deputy Sheriff Jesse Elliott until Deputy Marshal Taylor arrived.


Shortly after dark Bob Rogers returned to the scene and rode amidst the group of men scaring them away but they remained close enough to see Bob Rogers pounce on the corpse kicking and stomping it while wearing Deputy Sheriff Jesse Elliott’s hat. Bob Rogers left shortly afterwards and just before Deputy Marshal John Taylor arrived on the scene.


Deputy Sheriff Jesse Elliott left behind his wife Mary Jane and four children and is buried in Elliott (Big Cabin) Cemetery, Big Cabin, Craig County, Oklahoma.

Bob Tilton (Rogers) was eventually arrested in January 1894, tried, convicted, and sentenced to hang for the murder of Deputy Sheriff Jesse Elliott. While out on appeal Bob Tilton (Rogers) continued his robberies, cattle stealing and other crimes. On the evening of March 14, 1895, Bob Rogers was located at his father’s home near Horseshoe Mound. Officers surrounded the house. Three officers entered the house and Bob Rogers shot all three killing Deputy U.S. Marshal W. D. McDaniel. The other two officers were able to escape. After many shots were exchanged with the posse Bob Rogers came out carrying his rifle with the barrel down.  As Bob Rogers started to raise the rifle, he was shot several times and killed.

Another story is that Bob Rogers was hung in Tahlequah on Friday, July 31, 1896 for the murder of Deputy Sheriff Jesse Elliott.


OLEM – 5N-2-14   NLEOM –

May 17, 2021


G Ralph Ellis - Deputy Constable

Bristow, Creek County

On Saturday afternoon November 6, 1915, 26-year-old G. “Ralph” Ellis was deputized along with A. U. Alcorn by Constable C. C. Hartman to assist Hartman in raiding liquor joints and gambling houses in Depew later that evening. The three lawmen arrived in Depew about 7 p.m. and raided several places before midnight and captured a quantity of liquor.

They next proceeded to the Armstrong place, which served as a dance hall, plus a liquor and gambling joint, arriving about midnight. The officers broke in the door and arrested the participants of a dice game except for a few who escaped.


Deputy Constable A. U. Alcorn was left to guard the prisoners away from the house while Constable C. C. Hartman and Deputy Constable G. Ralph Ellis returned to wait on any of the men who fled who might return. The officers arrested one man in the yard and G. Ralph Ellis was left to guard him while Constable Hartman went inside.


A little while later about 1 a.m. the morning of Sunday November 7, 1915, Constable Hartman heard shots outside and ran to find Deputy Constable G. Ralph Ellis dead from being shot several times including once in the head and once in the heart. Ellis’ gun was missing along with his prisoner.

G.  Ralph Ellis, the son of Deputy U. S. Marshal William N. Ellis, was survived by his wife Hila and is buried in Bristow Cemetery, Bristow, Creek County, Oklahoma.

Hila Ellis gave birth to their only child, May 23, 1916, seven months after her husband’s death. The baby, believed to be a son named Sydney, died two months after his birth on August 7, 1916.

OLEM – 9S-2-3    NLEOM – 38E26

November 6, 2021

William Summer "Bill" Ellis - City Marshal

City of Ochelata

On Saturday morning, October 25, 1924, City Marshal “Bill” Ellis, 28, went to a local garage to investigate a report of weapons in a car brought in for repairs by two brothers, R. L. Stevens, 26, and Eddie, 21. The City Marshal soon learned that the car was stolen from Kansas and a gunfight broke out between the marshal and the two brothers. Marshal “Bill” Ellis wounded Eddie Stevens in the abdomen and lung before R. L. Stevens shot City Marshal “Bill” Ellis fatally in the throat.

Marshal William “Bill” Ellis was survived by his wife and one child and is buried in Woodlawn Cemetery, Claremore, Rogers County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 3S-3-5    NLEOM - 61W20

February 16, 2021

Jerry D. Emerson, Jailer

Logan County Sheriffs Office

Shortly after three o’clock the afternoon of Thursday, May 14, 1903, Jailer Jerry Emerson was escorting a prisoner, W. W. Montgomery, from his cell to the shower area in the southwest corner of the Logan County jail. As they neared the bathroom prisoner Montgomery grabbed one of the two pistols that were in the rear pockets of Jailer Jerry Emerson’s trousers. As Montgomery grabbed the gun he commanded Jailer Emerson to throw up his hands. Instead, Jailer Emerson drew the other gun from his trousers and fired twice at Montgomery, hitting him once in the groin. Prisoner Montgomery then fired in return striking Jailer Jerry Emerson in the breast and forehead. Jailer Emerson fell to the floor and continued shooting as he called to his wife Sally, who was in the front part of the jail, to bring him the other revolver. As Mrs. Emerson started with the revolver, she was intercepted by prisoner Montgomery. Mrs. Emerson fired at Montgomery wounding him in the chest, but Montgomery was able to wrench the gun from her right hand, severely injuring her little finger. Prisoner J. J. Montgomery then escaped out of the jail. Jailer Jerry Emerson was dead when his wife Sally got to him. The Emerson’s had three children.

The burial site of Jerry D. Emerson is unknown.

J. J. Montgomery was hiding under a house when he was arrested the next week and charged with the murder of Jailer Jerry Emerson.

OLEM – 4N-3-5    NLEOM – 45W27

February 16, 2021     

George W England - Chief

Coalgate Police Department

About 1 o’clock in the morning of Friday, September 30, 1910, Chief George England, 35, was walking down Main Street when James Thompson, the half-brother of Park Thompson, approached him. Chief England had killed Park Thompson in an earlier shootout. Chief George England and James Thompson exchanged words then James Thompson shot Chief George England five times with a .45 caliber revolver. Chief George England was found lying in the street, shot three times in the right side of the chest, once in the right side of the head and once in the back of the head.

Chief George England’s wife survived him, and he is buried in the Lehigh Cemetery, Lehigh, Coal County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 5N-5-17 (Anglin)   NLEOM –

Charles Isaac Epperson - City Marshal


About 9 p.m. the evening of Thursday, June 25, 1925, a fight broke out at a black brothel between Nick Lockridge and Will Love. Nick Lockridge had cut Will Love on the arm and breast. “Mexican Pete” Samara went to City Marshal Charles Epperson’s home and summoned him to quell the disturbance. Upon arriving at the scene City Marshal Epperson pulled his gun and placed Will Love under arrest, put his gun back in his pocket then started walking with Wil Love to the city jail which was about a block away. Suddenly Will Love leaped behind the marshal, grabbed the marshal’s gun from his pocket, shoved it into his side and told him he was not going to jail.

In the meantime, Night Watchman William Worley arrived and grabbed Will Love’s arm to prevent him from shooting the marshal but did not draw his own gun. “Mexican Pete” grabbed Watchman Worley from behind and pulled Worley’s gun from his pocket. “Mexican Pete’ then leaped back, placed the gun within a few inches of Marshal Charles Epperson’s face and fired. The bullet struck the city marshal in the left side of his chin ranging downward into his throat. City Marshal Charles Epperson died before medical help arrived.

In the excitement Will Love and “Mexican Pete” Samara escaped. A posse was soon formed, and they located Samara in a corn field. When ordered to “throw up” his hands Samara responded with a gun shot. Samara was then shot five times by the posse. Two of the shots shattered the bone in one of his legs and the leg was amputated just below the hip. Will Love was captured Friday evening.

City Marshal Charles Epperson would have been thirty-five years old on July 1st and had been the City Marshal of Boynton for six weeks when he was killed. Charles Epperson was single.

Charles Epperson is buried in Greenhill Cemetery, Muskogee, Muskogee County, Oklahoma.

“Mexican Pete” Samara was found guilty of the city marshal’s murder and sentenced to life in prison.

Will Love was charged with attempted murder. A trial was held with a jury picked and evidence presented when the county attorney motioned for the charges to be dismissed. Will Love was then charged with resisting an officer, tried, convicted, and sentenced to twelve months in jail and a five hundred dollar fine. Will Love’s conviction was later reversed by the State Court of Criminal Appeals.

OLEM – 4N-2-3    NLEOM – 36E24

February 16, 2021

Choc Douglas Ericsson - Senior Agent

Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs

Choc Ericsson had been a State Narcotics agent for five years when on the evening of Friday, November11, 2005, his wife Glenda and their three young children ran into their home and told him that a man in a pickup had tried to run her off the road and had followed them home. When Agent Choc Ericsson, 38, went outside to investigate, he saw the pickup parked in their driveway. Upon seeing Agent Ericsson come out of the house the driver of the pickup backed out of the driveway and started to drive off. Agent Ericsson got in his OBNDD state vehicle and started after the fleeing pickup which pulled over when Agent Choc Ericsson engaged the police lights on his state vehicle.

After confronting the driver, Leslie Don Vance, 29, outside the pickup Agent Ericsson soon realized that he was dealing with a man high on methamphetamine. Vance became combative and dove back into his pickup. Agent Choc Ericsson apparently thought Vance was going for a gun and tried to grab Leslie Vance but Vance pushed the gas and started driving off, dragging Agent Choc Ericsson. Agent Ericsson was able to shoot Leslie Vance once in the chest before Agent Ericsson fell and was run over by the pickup. Agent Choc Ericsson suffered severe head injuries and was transported to a local hospital. The wounded Leslie Vance was arrested a short distance away and was also transported to the hospital.

Senior Agent Choc Ericsson died about 6 p.m. the next Friday, November 18, 2005 from his injuries.

Senior Agent Choc Ericsson had served as a Police Officer in Durant and Mooreland before joining the Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs in 2000.

Choc Ericsson  was survived by his wife Glenda and their three children Reata, Hailey and Quaid and is buried in Elmwood Cemetery, Woodward, Woodward County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 4S-3-21   NLEOM – 19W25

February 16, 2021


John Nelson Ernst - Deputy Sheriff

Tulsa County Sheriff's Office

The evening of Christmas Eve, Saturday, December 24, 1910, Deputy John Ernst was summoned from his home in the small town of Fisher to a dance to quell a disturbance resulting from a game of craps.  Upon his appearance the crowd turned on Deputy Ernst. During the melee, which followed Deputy John Ernst was shot in the heart and died twenty minutes later. Thou three men were arrested and charged with Deputy John Ernst’s murder all three were released after their trials due to lack of evidence proving of who had actually shot Deputy Ernst.

Deputy John Ernst had been a Tulsa County Deputy Sheriff for three years and was survived by his wife Dora and seven children.

John Ernst is buried in the Old Sapulpa Cemetery, Sapulpa, Creek County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 4S-2-14    NLEOM – 43W22 [Earnest]

February 16, 2021

William H. Erwin - Deputy U.S. Marshal

U.S. Marshal

William Erwin was appointed a Deputy U.S. Marshal for the Western District of Arkansas on January 1, 1886. In April 1886 Cherokee lawmen arrested Felix Griffin for escaping their prison on an armed robbery charge. The officers turned Felix Griffin over to Deputy Marshal William Erwin at Webbers Falls for transport to the Federal Court in Fort Smith on a burglary charge.

On Tuesday, April 13, 1886, Deputy William Erwin left Webbers Falls with Felix Griffin in custody for the sixty-five-mile trip to Fort Smith crossing the Arkansas River on Squirrel Field’s Ferry between Webbers Falls and Pheasant Bluff. Witnesses later stated that two members of Felix Griffin’s gang, Frank Palmer and Jack Spaniard, used the same ferry to cross a few hours later. Just before sunset gun shots were heard near Pheasant Bluff. The following morning, residents found a saddled horse grazing in the area. Shortly afterwards the body of Deputy William Erwin was found. It appeared he was shot and killed by rifle fire. Deputy Erwin’s guns were still holstered and had not been fired. Evidence immediately pointed to Frank Palmer and Jack Spaniard. Warrants were issued for their arrest for murder.

Felix Griffin was killed while trying to steal some horses the first week of May 1887. Frank Palmer was never apprehended. Jack Spaniard, 36, was arrested on March 25, 1888 and hanged at Fort Smith on August 30, 1889 for the murder of Deputy William Erwin.

Deputy William Erwin was a widower supporting two small children and is buried in Lowes Creek Cemetery, Peter Pender, Franklin County, Arkansas.

OLEM – 5N-1-1   NLEOM – 59W1 [Irwin]

Deputy William Erwin was mistakenly engraved on the Oklahoma Law Enforcement Memorial also as William Irwin at 5N-1-11, ten names below his correctly spelled name.

February 16, 2021

Edward Adam Eshelman - Night Officer

Pawnee Police Department  

Night Officer Edward Eshelman, 43, had received information Friday night May 12, 1922, that a stolen Buick might be headed toward Pawnee from Ponca City. About 1:30 a.m. the morning of Saturday, May 13, 1922, Officer Eshelman spotted the Buick parked in Pawnee with three men inside it. Officer Eshelman approached the Buick and told the men they were under arrest. Officer Eshelman jumped on the running board of the Buick and ordered the driver to drive to the Pawnee County jail. When the stolen Buick arrived at the county jail Officer Eshelman stepped off the running board and at the same time the three men in the car opened fire on him.  Officer Eshelman was struck several times however while laying wounded on the ground he emptied his gun at the three fleeing suspects but appears none of the shots took effect.

Officer Eshelman was transported to a Stillwater hospital and died at 9 p.m. later that night before three suspects who had been arrested could be brought to the Stillwater hospital for Officer Eshelman to identify.

Officer Edward Eshelman was survived by his wife Ruth, their three sons, Wilford, 23, his wife Martha, Wayne, 19, and Charles, 17, and their daughter Daisy Harris, 21, her husband William.

Eshelman is buried in Highland Cemetery, Pawnee, Pawnee County, Oklahoma.

Over a year later in July 1923 Joe Wilson was charged with the murder of Officer Edward Eshelman.

OLEM – 12N-2-1   NLEOM –

April 26, 2022

Charles W. Estes - Deputy Game Warden

Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation

The morning of Sunday, February 26, 1911, Deputy Game Warden Charles Estes left his home in Jenks and rode to the area of Turkey Mountain to investigate complaints that some men were illegally hunting ducks on Sunday. At that time Turkey Mountain was about five miles south of Tulsa but today is near where 71st Street intersects the Arkansas River.


Charles Estes rode to the top of the mountain, left his horse and walked down the side of the mountain searching for the illegal hunters. Between 1 and 2 p.m. a nearby resident heard two gunshots and went to investigate. He found the forty-year-old Deputy Game Warden dead with a single .33 caliber rifle shot wound to his abdomen. Charles Estes’ Colt revolver, cartridge belt and money were missing. The second shot could have been a missed shot by the killer or Charles Estes returning fire.

Neither the killer nor any of Deputy Game Warden Charles Estes’ property was ever found.

Estes was survived by his wife and is buried in Highland Cemetery, Stonewall, Pontotoc County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 4S-1-9    NLEOM – 50W20

February 16, 2021

Fred A. Evans - Posseman/Constable

City of Mannford

Fred Evans, 40, was a member of a posse made up of local men looking for two men who robbed two other men the morning of Friday, December 1, 1911. About 8 p.m. that night the suspects, Bud and Bob Walker, were located in a house in Mannford. When the posse called for the men to surrender the posse was met with gunfire. Fred Evans was hit and killed with the first volley. During the melee, the suspects escaped. Bud Walker was located just before midnight and was wounded by a shotgun blast. Deputy Constable D. H. Poulter then took Bud Walker to the Mannford jail.  A few hours later a group of twenty-five men broke into the jail, subdued the Deputy on duty and dragged Bud Walker out into the street. Bud Walker was forced to run for his life while the mob opened fire on him, shooting him down in the street. Wounded at least a half a dozen times but still alive, Bud Walker was then hanged from a nearby telephone pole and shot several more times. The Sheriff cut the body of Bud Walker down that afternoon.

Bob Walker had been arrested about 4 a.m. that morning, December 2nd, in Claremore.

Fred Evans is buried in Oak Hill Cemetery, Mannford, Creek County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 10S-1-8    NLEOM –

February 16, 2021


Matthew Scott Evans - Trooper

Oklahoma Highway Patrol

About 3 a.m. the morning of Thursday, August 31, 2000, State Trooper Matthew Evans, 24, was west bound on I-40 in the inside lane starting to pass a semi-tractor truck and trailer on the left near Pennsylvania Avenue in Oklahoma City, responding to another State Trooper’s call for assistance. At that moment, a Pontiac Firebird speeding east bound in the west bound lanes of I-40 was being pursued by Oklahoma City Police Officer Jeffery D. Rominger. The Firebird went around the semi-truck on its left side, clipped the front left corner of the truck and hit Trooper Matthew Evans’ patrol unit head-on.  Officer Jeffery Rominger, close behind the Firebird, collided with the other two vehicles, which had burst into flames. Trooper Matthew Evans and the two people in the Firebird died at the scene. Officer Jeffery Rominger died shortly after arriving at University Hospital.

State Trooper Matthew Evans was survived by his wife, Jennifer and is buried in Arlington Memorial Gardens, Midwest City, Oklahoma County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 4S-2-12    NLEOM – 29W22

February 16, 2021

Ian Todd Ewing - Deputy Sheriff

Kay County Sheriff's Office

On Thursday, May 6, 1999, about 5:25 p.m. Deputy Ian Ewing, 27, was responding to assist a reserve deputy sheriff who had stopped a vehicle possibly containing three armed suspects from a burglary. Deputy Ian Ewing had his emergency equipment activated as he approached Hubbard Street while north bound on Union Street in Ponca City. An east bound van collided with Deputy Ian Ewing’s unit in the intersection. Deputy Ewing was pinned in his unit over an hour and a half and died at the scene.   

Deputy Ian Ewing was survived by his wife, Shawna and is buried in Grandview Cemetery, Kaw City, Kay County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 4S-2-4    NLEOM – 25E21

February 16, 2021

Levi A. "Bill" Ezell - Deputy Sheriff

Oklahoma County Sheriff’s Office

The afternoon of Monday, August 24, 1914, Deputy Sheriff Levi Ezzell, age 41, was returning to the county jail in Oklahoma City walking with Warren Mankin who had just been arraigned before Justice of the Peace T. F. Donnell for stealing bicycles. Near Hudson and Main Streets, the prisoner Warren Mankin broke loose from Deputy Sheriff Levi Ezzell and started running down an alley when Deputy Sheriff Ezzell drew his .45 caliber automatic handgun and threw it at the escaping prisoner. The gun hit Warren Mankin in the back then fell to the payment. Upon striking the pavement the gun discharged with the bullet striking Deputy Sheriff Levi Ezzell in the stomach. Deputy Sheriff Levi Ezzell died at 5:45 p.m. following surgery at the Post Graduate Hospital from loss of blood as the bullet had struck a large blood vessel near his liver.

Deputy Levi Ezzell was survived by his wife Mattie and three children and is buried in Fairlawn Cemetery, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma County, Oklahoma.

Warren Mankin was soon recaptured but was not charged with Deputy Sheriff Levi Ezzell’s death at the request of Deputy Sheriff Ezzell. Deputy Sheriff Levi Ezzell made a statement before he died that Warren Mankin was not responsible for the shooting and should not be charged.

OLEM – 9S-1-9    NLEOM – 25W26

August 24, 2021