Oklahoma Law Enforcement Memorial

Ruben Roy Farmer - Auxiliary Officer

Idabel Police Department

The evening of Sunday, January 20, 1980, a race riot broke out in Idabel over the unexplained shooting death of a black teenager. Shots were fired throughout the evening and several people were wounded including Officer Ruben Farmer. Farmer, 35, had previously served as an Idabel police officer before resigning and going into business in Idabel. Auxiliary Officer Ruben Farmer was shot in the back with the bullet exiting his chest and was first treated at the McCurtain Memorial Hospital before being transferred Sunday evening to Wadley Hospital in Texarkana, Texas, where Ruben Farmer was pronounced dead on arrival.

Ruben Farmer was survived by his wife Kay and a daughter and is buried in Denison Cemetery, Idabel, McCurtain County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 4S-2-21    NLEOM – 25E22

February 16, 2021

Marion Kendrick "M.K" Farrall - Chief,

Shawnee Police Department

About noon on Friday, October 18, 1907, Chief Marion Farrall had gone to the Shawnee Transfer Company to talk to John Curtis Barber about a complaint Barber’s wife had filed against him for adultery. Chief Marion Farrall and John Barber walked out the rear door of the business together, when witnesses heard a heavy blow being struck but did not see it. The witnesses then ran out the back door and found Chief Marian Farrall bleeding heavily from a blow to the head as John Barber ran away. Chief Marion Farrall died eight hours later at 7:55 p.m.

Chief Marion Farrall was survived by his wife Maggie and their three children and is buried in Fairview Cemetery, Shawnee, Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma.

John Barber was arrested later, charged with Chief’ Marion Farrall’s murder and convicted receiving a ninety-nine-year prison sentence.

OLEM – 5N-5-19 (Farrell)    NLEOM – 64W8

February 16, 2021

Samuel J. "Sam" Farris - Deputy Sheriff,

Canadian County Sheriff’s Office

Deputy Sam Farris, 38, recognized the outlaw brothers James and Victor Casey in front of the Walker Saloon in Yukon on Monday, May 21, 1894. The Casey brothers were wanted for the murder of the two Townsend brothers in El Reno earlier in the month.  As Deputy Farris started to arrest them the Casey brothers opened fire on Deputy Farris, wounding him but not before Deputy Farris wounded “Vic” Casey in the foot.  Deputy Samuel Farris died two days later on May 23 from his gunshot wound.

Deputy Samuel Farris was survived by his wife and young son and is buried in an unmarked grave in the Yukon Cemetery, Yukon, Canadian County, Oklahoma.

Vic Casey died November 12th of blood poisoning from the gunshot wound to his foot.

Jim Casey was shot and killed June 30, 1895, during a jailbreak from the Oklahoma County Jail in Oklahoma City.


OLEM – 5N-2-26         NLEOM – 14E28

February 16, 2021

Charles T.  Farrow – City Marshal

City of Okemah

In late June of 1909, City Marshal Charles Farrow had raided P. T. Thompson’s pool hall, confiscated all his illegal “near beer” and arrested Thompson. After his release from jail P. T. Thompson replenished his supply of “near beer” and made threats against City Marshal Charles Farrow’s life.

About 5 p.m. on Saturday, July 3rd, City Marshal Charles Farrow, 42, again went to P. T. Thompson’s pool hall. As City Marshal Farrow entered the pool hall, P. t. Thompson shot twice at the unarmed marshal striking Farrow in the stomach with the second shot. City Marshal Farrow left the pool hall and made his way to a doctor’s office but died at 4 a.m. the next morning, Sunday, July 4, 1909.

Charles Farrow is buried in Highland Cemetery, Okemah, Okfuskee County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 3S-2-3    NLEOM –

February 16, 2021

Frank Faulkner - Posse, Deputy U. S. Marshal

U. S. Marshal

The evening of Friday, September 14, 1894, Deputy U. S. Marshal West Harris and his posse Frank Faulkner, 24, went to the home of John Seabolt, where a large dance was being held, to locate a man named Bush for whom Deputy West Harris had an arrest warrant.

John Seabolt’s home was located seven miles from Muldrow, Indian Territory and twenty miles from Fort Smith, Arkansas. During the evening, Deputy West Harris spotted Bush in the yard of the house and the lawmen moved in to arrest him. A gun battle broke out and when the smoke cleared both lawmen and a Cherokee Indian named Charlie Benge, who had served as a posse for other deputies in the past, lay dead.

Deputy U. S. Marshal Jim Cole was sent from Ft. Smith to investigate. Deputy Cole arrived Saturday morning and found the three deceased men still laying in the front yard of the Seabolt house. Deputy West Harris was shot once in the chest still clutching his empty gun in his hand, posse Frank Faulkner had been shot seven times with his empty gun found about ten yards from his body and Charlie Benge was shot once through the body with his empty gun still in his hand. Deputy Cole noticed that all three men had been shot with a handgun or rifle, but Faulkner also had been shot with a shotgun. Two other bodies were located under the house.

Deputy Marshal Jim Cole was unable to find any witnesses who were willing to tell what happened and the case was closed. No one was ever charged with the deaths of the two lawmen.

The burial site of Deputy West Harris is unknown.

Posse Frank Faulkner is buried in Lee’s Chapel Cemetery, Muldrow, Sequoyah County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 10S-2-11    NLEOM –  

February 16, 2021

Aubrey Winfield "Bud" Felker - Sheriff

McCurtain County Sheriff's Office

Aubrey “Bud” Felker was first elected Sheriff of McCurtain County in 1920.  He was re-elected Sheriff on August 1, 1922.

Sunday night, August 13, 1922, Sheriff “Bud” Felker, 46, had gone to Wright City to investigate a double murder committed by a man named Clayton Thompson. Sheriff “Bud” Felker and his Undersheriff Richard Jones were driven into town by a man named Cleve Christian and his friend, John Bowling. Sheriff Felker and John Bowling rode in the back seat. The men searched for the murderer Clayton Thompson all night.

About 8 a.m. the next morning, Monday, August 14th, the group observed Clayton Thompson walking down a road about four blocks from the business district of Wright City carrying a 30-30 caliber rifle.

Sheriff “Bud” Felker told Cleve Christian to stop the car and not to disturb Clayton Thompson as there were several people on the sidewalk nearby. Sheriff “Bud” Felker spoke with Clayton Thompson, as they had known each other for many years. When Sheriff Felker asked Thompson to get in the car Thompson said he wanted to walk downtown and give himself up. Sheriff Felker agreed to allow Clayton Thompson to turn himself in downtown. Sheriff Felker then told Cleve Christian to drive on downtown.

Just as the men started driving off, Clayton Thompson fired into the car striking Sheriff “Bud” Felker in the head, killing him instantly.  A second shot hit the Sheriff between his shoulder blades.  Clayton Thompson’s third shot hit Cleve Christian and the fourth shot hit John Bowling in the left shoulder. Undersheriff Richard Jones was unhurt and able to escape the car. Undersheriff Jones took cover and watched Thompson go into a nearby cafe. When Undersheriff Jones tried to arrest Thompson inside of the cafe Clayton Thompson lunged for Jones’ gun. Undersheriff Richard Jones was able to shoot Clayton Thompson in the stomach and arrest him. Cleve Christian and John Bowling recovered from their wounds, but Clayton Thompson died the next afternoon in his jail cell in Idabel.

Sheriff Aubrey “Bud” Felker was survived by his wife Jewel and their five children and is buried in Wheelock Cemetery, Millerton, McCurtain County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 8S-2-16    NLEOM – 20W20

February 16, 2021

Levi Elmer Ferguson - City Marshal

City of Ringwood

On Friday, Christmas Day, December 25, 1903, City Marshal Levi Ferguson attempted to arrest Clint Fox while inside his Uncle Martin Fox’s meat market for making threats against the marshal’s life and carrying a concealed weapon. Clint Fox drew his gun and shot the city marshal twice, firing at him a third time after he had fallen outside the store but missing with that shot. The 36-year-old city marshal Levi Ferguson died at the scene.

A large crowd quickly gathered and engaged in a running gun battle with Clint Fox who was gunned down by the citizens within half a mile.

City Marshal Levi Ferguson was survived by his wife and several children and is buried in the Pleasant Hill Cemetery, Meno, Major County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 9S-2-10    NLEOM – 3W24

February 16, 2021

James Ernest "Jim" Fields - Deputy Sheriff

Osage County Sheriff’s Office

About 2 p.m. Friday, April 14, 1961, Deputy James Fields, 55, was in the Turf Café in Pawhuska where he served some court papers to Eugene “Sonny” Ward, 29, who was setting on a stool at the counter. The owner of the café, A. L. Pradmore , advised Deputy James Fields that he wanted to talk to him. Deputy Fields and Pradmore walked to the back of the café to talk. While they were talking a customer came in the café and advised that there was a fight outside the café.

Deputy James Fields and A. L. Pradmore went outside and found a man named Bill Eaton, 33, was “stomping” his brother-in-law, Sonny Ward, who was on the ground bleeding about the head. As Deputy Fields pulled Bill Eaton off of Sonny Ward, Eaton took a swing at the deputy. Deputy James Fields pulled his gun and struck Bill Eaton in the back of the head. Deputy Fields then handcuffed Eaton and placed him in the front passenger seat of his patrol car. Deputy Fields then walked around and got in the driver’s seat of the patrol car and called for an ambulance. Mr. Pradmore had helped Sonny Ward up and brought him around to the driver’s side of the patrol car where Deputy Fields got out and was standing by the open car door talking to Sonny Ward when Deputy Fields slumped to the ground in a setting position. The ambulance arrived about this same time and transported Deputy James Fields to the city hospital where he died soon after arriving from a heart attack.

Deputy James Fields was survived by his wife of twenty years Melvina and two teenage daughters, Saundra, 17, and Ines, 13.

James Fields was originally buried in Fairview Cemetery, Vinita, Craig County but his wife had his remains moved to Big Cabin Cemetery, Big Cabin, Craig County, Oklahoma so she could be buried next to him which she was upon her death in 2004.

OLEM – 5N-3-3    NLEOM – 31W2

February 16, 2021

John Fields – Deputy U.S. Marshal

U.S. Marshal

Deputy John Fields was a member of a large group of lawmen that had surrounded the veritable fort like cabin of Ned Christie fifteen miles east of Tahlequah on October 11, 1892. The lawmen had two warrants for Ned Christie’s arrest. One was for the murder of Deputy U.S. Marshal Dan Maples on April 4, 1887, and one for the wounding of Deputy U.S. Marshal L. P. Isbell on September 26, 1889, when marshals attempted to arrest Ned Christie at his cabin earlier.

This day the marshals shouted for Ned Christie to come out but as usual were met by gun fire from within the cabin. The deputies returned fire, without effect. Deputy John Fields poked his head up from behind cover and was shot in the neck and fell to the ground. Other deputies pulled Deputy John Fields to safety. Another lawman, Joe Bowers, was also wounded. Deputy John Fields and Joe Bowers were taken to Tahlequah for medical treatment. It appeared both men would survive but on the following Wednesday, October 19, 1892, Deputy John Fields died.

The burial site of Deputy John Fields is unknown.

On November 4th lawmen again surrounded Ned Christie’s cabin. This time they used an Army cannon to try and force Christie out of the cabin. It worked, and Ned Christie was shot and killed as he ran from his cabin exchanging gunfire with the lawmen.

OLEM – 5N-3-3    NLEOM – 31W2

February 16, 2021

William H. Fields - Deputy U.S. Marshal

U.S. Marshal

Deputy Marshal William Fields, and his posse, Crowder Nix, had a warrant for James H. “Jim” Cunnicus for stealing eight-hundred pounds of flour from a railroad car and proceeded to a camp near Eufaula where “Jim” Cunnicus was believed to be hiding. The afternoon of Sunday, April 10, 1887, as the lawmen rode up to the camp, Deputy Marshal William Fields recognized “Jim” Cunnicus and advised him he had a warrant for his arrest. “Jim” Cunnicus grabbed a shotgun from his saddle and fired both barrels into Deputy Marshal Fields, killing him. Posse Crowder Nix then arrested “Jim” Cunnicus after wounding him in both legs.

Deputy Marshal William Fields was survived by his wife Fannie and died five days before his thirty-fourth birthday.

William Fields is buried in Westview Cemetery, Atoka, Atoka County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 4S-1-2    NLEOM – 14E13

April 10, 2022

Edward D Fink - Deputy U.S. Marshal

U.S. Marshal

On Monday, November 28, 1904, Marshal Edward Fink, 40, was watching for a wagon load of whiskey being brought into Wetumka from Keokuk Falls, a small town in northeast Pottawatomie County.  After a few hours Marshal Fink observed a man driving a wagon up a trail with one man on horseback riding near the wagon. Deputy Marshal Edward Fink stepped into the road and ordered the men to “halt”.  The driver, Jim Tiger, stopped the wagon as the rider, Peter Fish, reined his horse and at almost the same time raised a Winchester rifle and shot Deputy Marshal Edward Fink through the chest killing him.

Edward Fink had been a Deputy U.S. Marshal for three years and is buried in the Elmdale Cemetery, Elmdale, Chase County, Kansas.

Jim Tiger and Peter Fish were later arrested. In November 1905, Peter Fish was tried for the Deputy Marshal Fink’s murder with Jim Tiger as a witness for the government. Peter Fish was convicted and sentenced to ninety-nine years in prison.

OLEM – 5N-5-5    NLEOM – 11E3

February 16, 2021

Terry B Fisher - Deputy Sheriff

Oklahoma County Sheriff’s Office

Terry Fisher joined the Oklahoma County Sheriff’s Office as a Reserve Deputy in 2002 and became a full-time deputy on May 19, 2009. By 2014 he was a Field Training Deputy.

The morning of Friday, January 10, 2014, Deputy Fisher, 43, went to work at 6 a.m. with his temporary partner, Deputy David Sanderson, who was in the final phase of his field training program. The deputies made several calls that morning including a domestic disturbance and a traffic stop. About 2:30 p.m. Deputy Fisher advised Deputy Sanderson that he was feeling so bad that he was going to go home. Deputy Fisher went out of service at 3:15 p.m. over the radio and went home.

Deputy Terry Fisher continued to feel bad the rest of Friday evening and Saturday. Sunday morning, he went to the Oklahoma Heart Hospital where it was determined that he had suffered a heart attack while on duty Friday.  Deputy Terry Fisher died just after 11 a.m. that Sunday, January 12th.

Deputy Terry Fisher was survived by his wife Kristi, daughters Deanna and Jessica and sons Brett and Aaron.

Terry Fisher’s earthly remains were cremated.

OLEM – 10S-1-2    NLEOM – 31E29

February 16, 2021

Robert Patrick “Pat” Flickinger - Special Agent

Chickasaw Lighthorse Police Department

About 7:55 p.m. on Friday, March 7, 2008, Special Agent Robert Flickinger, 37, was east bound on the upgrade of a hill on State Highway 199 just east of Madill in Marshall County approaching Whiskey Creek Road. A north bound pickup driven by Darrell Kemp, 39, on Whiskey Creek Road made a right hand turn from the stop sign in front of Agent Flickinger’s vehicle.  Agent Flickinger attempted to pass the pickup as he ran up on it and collided with a west bound pickup which had just came over the hill driven by Ronny Goff, age 67, of Madill. The area was marked as a “No Passing “zone. Agent Robert Flickinger died at the scene. Ronny Goff was transported to an Oklahoma City hospital. Ronny Goff’s wife Donna was riding with him in the pickup and was transported to a Madill hospital where she was treated and released.

Robert Flickinger had been in law enforcement for sixteen years. He joined the Chickasaw Lighthorse Police Department on September 27, 2004, as a uniformed officer and was promoted to Special Agent on October 15, 2007. Robert Flickinger was survived by his daughter Cheyenne.

Robert Flickinger is buried in Linn Cemetery, Linn, Marshall County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 9S-1-7    NLEOM – 5E30

February 17, 2021

James Hurt Flippin - Deputy Sheriff

Rogers County Sheriff's Office

Deputy Sheriff James Flippin and Muskogee County Special Deputy Sheriff Andrew McGinnis were members of a posse that had been searching for Tom “Kye” Carlisle and Troy Love for the murder of a woman near Braggs in rural Muskogee County and the murder of Muskogee County Deputy Sheriff Webster Reece.  

Around dusk the evening of Sunday, September 18, 1932, the posse cornered the two fugitives in a thicket about five miles from where Deputy Sheriff Webster Reece had been killed the day before.  Deputy Sheriff’s James Flippin and Andrew McGinnis were both shot in the ensuing gun battle. The two fugitives, Carlisle and Love, ran about three hundred yards in the running gun battle during which they were both shot and killed.  

Deputy Sheriff Andrew McGinnis died at the scene, but Deputy Sheriff James “Hurt” Flippin, 51, wounded in one ankle, was taken to the hospital where he died early the next morning, Monday, September 19th, having lost a great deal of blood from his wound.

Deputy Sheriff James Flippin was survived by his wife Elva and is buried in Woodlawn Cemetery, Claremore, Rogers County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 8S-4-12    NLEOM – 34W22

September 19, 2021

Michael R. Flaherty, Jr. – Officer

Collinsville Police Department

About 9:30 p.m. Sunday night, July 8, 1973 Officer Michael Flaherty, 30, was riding his motorcycle to work. At the intersection of Highways 69 and 88, south of Oologah, a car failed to yield the right of way from a stop sign and struck Officer Flaherty’s motorcycle broadside.

Officer Michael Flaherty died of his injuries.

Michael Flaherty had been a Collinsville Police Officer less than a month when he died.

Michael Flaherty is buried in Oak Hill Cemetery, Oologah, Rogers County, Oklahoma.

Cletis Tom Cole, 17, of Owasso, was charged with negligent homicide in the death of Officer Michael Flaherty.

OLEM. – 1N-3-9   NLEOM –

February 16, 2021

Wiley Florence - City Marshal

City of Purcell  

About 2 p.m. the afternoon of Monday, June 20, 1932, Purcell night policeman Joe Biggerstaff was dismissed from his job by acting city mayor Bernice Rackley. Joe Biggerstaff had been on the police force about twelve years. Following the termination Mayor Rackley was preparing to get in his car parked in front of city hall when he heard Joe Biggerstaff yell “wait a minute, Bernice.”  As Mayor Rackley turned he saw Joe Biggerstaff, who was standing at the top of the steps to city hall, start to draw a gun. City Marshal Wiley Florence was talking to a man a few feet away from Mayor Rackley. Rackley yelled to the City Marshal “Stop him Wiley” and to Biggerstaff “don’t pull that gun Joe!” Mayor Rackley started up the steps toward Joe Biggerstaff when Biggerstaff fired at him. The shot missed Mayor Rackley but struck City Marshal Wiley Florence in the chest. Joe Biggerstaff fired a second shot which missed both men. Joe Biggerstaff then surrendered to the county attorney.

City Marshal Wiley Florence was transported by ambulance to St. Anthony Hospital in Oklahoma City but did not arrive until 4:10 p.m. because the first ambulance had a flat tire between Lexington and Noble and an ambulance from Norman was then called. City Marshal Florence died later that night from his wound. Wiley Florence, 46, had only been City Marshal three weeks.

Wiley Florence’s wife Amanda had died eight months earlier. He was survived by their three teen age children, Estelle, 19, Mildred, 16, and Douglas, 14.

Wiley Florence is buried next to his wife Amanda in Hillside Cemetery, Purcell, McClain County, Oklahoma.

Joe Biggerstaff was acquitted of the murder charge at his second trial in 1934, his first trial ended in a hung jury.

OLEM – 9S-3-8    NLEOM – 39E28

July 3, 2021

Walter C. Floyd - City Marshal

City of Roff

On Saturday, June 23, 1923, City Marshal Walter Floyd encountered a local blacksmith named J. M. Neal carrying a shotgun while walking down Ninth Street. City Marshal Floyd demanded that Neal surrender his weapon. J. M. Neal refused, and the unarmed City Marshal Floyd left, armed himself and again sought out J. M. Neal. A witness stated that J. M. Neal opened fire with the shotgun on City Marshal Walter Floyd as soon as Neal saw the City Marshal approaching him. City Marshal Walter Floyd died from his shotgun wounds the next morning, June 24th, in a Sulphur hospital.

J. M. Neal was charged with City Marshal Walter Floyd’s murder.

The burial site of Walter Floyd is unknown.

OLEM – 4N-1-15    NLEOM – 63E23

February 17, 2021

George Flute - Deputy Sheriff

Sequoyah County Sheriffs Office

Deputy Sheriff George Flute, 42, was shot and killed by Dexter Rider, 20, an Army deserter whom Deputy Sheriff George Flute was attempting to disarm and arrest for causing a disturbance by firing his gun in the ground at a picnic early the morning of Sunday July 6, 1941, at Flute Springs, in Sequoyah County, twenty miles southwest of Stillwell. Both Deputy Sheriff George Flute and Dexter Rider were Cherokee Indians.

Deputy Sheriff George Flute was survived by his wife Nahyesah and is buried in the Flute Springs Cemetery, Marble City, Sequoyah County, Oklahoma.

The Army deserter, Dexter Rider, 20, was convicted of First-Degree Manslaughter on December 4, 1941, for the death of Deputy Sheriff George Flute and sentenced to seven years in prison.

OLEM – 4S-3-13    NLEOM – 26E23

July 5, 2021

C. M. Fly - Chief

Commerce Police Department

About 2 a.m. on Sunday, April 27, 1924, Chief C. M. Fly led a raid on a dice parlor located in a barber shop on South Commerce Street. When the officers broke the locked door in, it came completely off its hinges and the officers threw it inside on top of one of the dice tables. As the officers were entering, some of the gamblers picked up the door and threw it back at them. One edge of the door caught the hammer of Officer Troy Leveridge’s .44 caliber pistol, cocking it and releasing it, causing it to fire. The bullet hit Chief C. M. Fly, 56, in the left arm, and passed through his chest from side to side, causing a fatal wound.

Chief C. M. Fly was survived by his wife Mary and one adopted daughter.

C. M. Fly is buried in Grand Army of the Republic Cemetery, Miami, Ottawa County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 1N-3-4   NLEOM – 26E23

February 17, 2021

Oscar Francis Followwill – Patrolman

Norman Police Department

 Officer Oscar Followwill, 57, drove his wife Ruth to work early the morning of Sunday, December 30, 1951. As he drove back home, officer Oscar Followwwill, off duty and in his personal vehicle, was east bound on Main Street at about fifteen miles an hour as he approached the Santa Fe Railroad tracks with the railroad crossing lights flashing.  At the same time a north bound Santa Fe Railroad train was approaching the Main street crossing. The front of Officer Followwill’s car struck the train engine, the car spun around, and Officer Followwill was thrown from the car out the passenger door. When Officer Followwill was found after the collision, his head and shoulders were laying on the pavement with his feet still in the car. Officer Followwill was transported to Norman Municipal Hospital with head injuries, six broken ribs and a broken right shoulder. It is believed Officer Followwill may have suffered a dizzy spell as he had been in ill health for several months.

Officer Oscar Followwill’s condition gradually worsened and he died on the morning of Sunday, January 13, 1952.

Officer Oscar Followwill had been an ordained minister of the Freewill Baptist Church and was known as “the dean of Norman law enforcement officers”.

Officer Oscar Followwilll was survived by his wife Ruth, five son,s five daughters and eight grandchildren.

Officer Oscar Followwill is buried in Blackburn Cemetery, Norman, Cleveland County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 7N-3-24

February 17, 2021

Sylvester G. "Sly" Ford - Sheriff

Kay County Sheriff's Office

Shortly after 9 p.m. on Monday, March 9, 1908, Sheriff “Sly” Ford and two deputies were returning to Ponca City on the evening train. Several hundred feet short of the depot platform, Sheriff “Sly” Ford, 47, jumped from the moving train, presumably to avoid being seen arriving at the depot by people for whom he had arrest warrants. Sheriff Ford accidentally fell under the train’s wheels and was instantly killed. Newspaper reports stated that Sheriff Ford’s body was almost completely severed at the hips and his legs were “crushed to jelly”.

Sheriff Sylvester Ford was survived by his wife Kate, a son 20, and a daughter 17 and is buried in Newkirk Cemetery, Newkirk, Kay County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 4S-3-9    NLEOM – 42E23

February 17, 2021

William A. "Tab" Ford - Deputy Sheriff

Pittsburg County Sheriff's Office

On Sunday morning, August 10, 1941, Deputy Sheriff William Ford, 54, was off duty but lounging around the Pittsburg County Sheriff’s Office, keeping company with on duty Deputy Sheriff Bill Alexander, a former prison guard. About 11 a.m., a call for assistance came in from the guards at the nearby State Penitentiary. Four prisoners were attempting to escape using Warden Jess Dunn and a communications engineer as hostages. The prisoners were armed with rifles and handguns taken from the prison’s tower guards. The convicts and hostages had gotten in a car and were leaving the prison.

Deputies Alexander and Ford quickly intercepted the getaway car about three blocks north of the prison. When the two deputies blocked the road with their car and refused to let the other car by the convicts opened fire. Warden Jess Dunn was immediately shot twice in the back of the head and Deputy Sheriff William Ford was shot in the head by a rifle shot from the convicts. Deputy Sheriff Bill Alexander continued to return fire.

When the shooting was over, two convicts, Roy McGee, 37, and Claude Beaver, 39, were dead along with Warden Jess Dunn. Deputy William Ford died in the hospital about 2 p.m. and convict Bill Anderson, 36, died from his wounds two days later. Convict Hiram Prather, 33, survived the shootout but later died in the Oklahoma electric chair on July 14, 1943.

Deputy Sheriff William “Tab” Ford was survived by his wife Anna and son William and is buried in Elmwood Cemetery, Hartshorne, Pittsburg County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 1N-3-6    NLEOM – 52W22

February 17, 2021

John H. Fowler - Deputy Sheriff

Pontotoc County Sheriff's Office

On the afternoon of Wednesday, November 18, 1931, Deputy Sheriff John Fowler became involved in a pursuit with a man named Bun Land driving a stolen car from Fitzhugh to Ada. Near the Springbrook bottoms, Bun Land pulled into a driveway. As Deputy Sheriff John Fowler approached the stopped vehicle, Bun Land shot Fowler, in the intestines and breaking his left arm in two places. Deputy Sheriff John Fowler returned one shot, which missed, and Bun Land escaped.

Deputy John Fowler, 45, died the next evening, Thursday, November 19th at 8:30 p.m.

John Fowler was survived by his wife Mary, six sons and two daughters and is buried in Rosedale Cemetery, Ada, Pontotoc County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 8S-4-11    NLEOM – 28E23

February 17, 2021

Ronnie Nile Fox - Corporal

McAlester Police Department

On Thursday morning, July 30, 1981, McAlester Police Department Detective David Sheehan, 28, and Corporal Ronnie Fox, 38, were flying with Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs Control Agent Billy Morgan, 29, as observers. Agent Billy Morgan was the plane’s pilot flying in a leased single-engine airplane looking for marijuana patches in Pittsburg County.

About 8:20 a.m. that Thursday morning the plane came out of a cloud bank and Agent Billy Morgan had to put the plane in a steep climb to avoid a mountain. During the climb both wings cracked, and the left wing fell off. The plane crashed in the foothills of the Jack Fork Mountains, six miles northeast of Daisy, just inside Pittsburg County killing all three officers instantly.

Officer Ronnie Fox was survived by his wife, Betty, and is buried in Arpelar Cemetery, Arpelar, Pittsburg County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 2N-1-19    NLEOM – 24E2

July 28, 2021

Michael Steven Francis - Deputy Sheriff

Kiowa County Sheriff's Office

On Friday, January 19, 1996, Deputy Sheriff Michael Francis, 46, had responded to a domestic fight call in Roosevelt that resulted in an arrest being made. Deputy Sheriff Francis was in the process of handcuffing the arrested person when he suffered an apparent heart attack. Deputy Sheriff Michael Francis died shortly after arriving at the hospital in Hobart.

Deputy Sheriff Michael Francis was survived by his wife, Patsy and a daughter and is buried in Hobart Rose Cemetery, Hobart, Kiowa County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 4S-1-20    NLEOM – 12E20

February 17, 2021

Kirby Frans - Federal Prohibition Agent

U. S. Internal Revenue Service

Agent Kirby Frans and his partner Agent Joal Bates had gone to Perry to serve a search warrant for the property of George Willis on Friday, November 19, 1920. Upon arrival Mrs. Willis led the agents to a cellar in the back yard. The agents found a working fifty-gallon still in the cellar. While inspecting the contraband, George Willis opened fire on the two agents from the rear of the cellar, wounding Agent Kirby Frans in the chest. Mrs. Willis begged her husband not to kill the agents and they were allowed to leave. Agent Kirby Frans was taken to a hospital in Oklahoma City where he died during surgery the next morning, Saturday, November 20th.

Agent Kirby Frans was survived by his second wife Linda and is buried in Mound Valley Cemetery, Thomas, Custer County, Oklahoma.

George Willis was never apprehended for Agent Kirby Frans’s murder.

OLEM – 3S-3-1    NLEOM – 20W16

February 17, 2021

Grover C. Fulkerson - Deputy Sheriff

Cleveland County Sheriff's Office

On Friday, August 24, 1917, Deputy Sheriff Grover Fulkerson had only been a Deputy a month when he was stationed at an intersection two miles southwest of Norman stopping and checking cars possibly smuggling liquor.  About 5 p.m., a roadster with two men in it attempted to bypass Deputy Fulkerson as he flagged them down. Deputy Sheriff Fulkerson jumped on the car’s running board and forced them to pull over. When Deputy Fulkerson told the men he intended to search their car, they asked on what authority? The deputy produced his .38 caliber revolver and stated, “This is my authority”. One of the men, John Jay, 27, began struggling with Deputy Sheriff Fulkerson, causing him to drop his gun inside the car. The other man, Charles Holden, 30, then picked up Deputy Fulkerson’s gun and shot Deputy Fulkerson twice in the stomach. The two men then loaded Deputy Fulkerson into their car and continued to drive north toward Moore. Deputy Sheriff Fulkerson pleaded with them to take him to a doctor in Norman. After driving around about an hour, the men finally took Deputy Fulkerson to a doctor. The doctor said he needed to be treated in Oklahoma City and put Deputy Sheriff Grover Fulkerson on a train. Deputy Sheriff Fulkerson died on the train before reaching Oklahoma City.

Deputy Sheriff Grover Fulkerson was survived by his wife Mamie and two children and is buried in IOOF Cemetery, Norman, Cleveland County, Oklahoma.

Six months later February 15, 1918 while still out on bail Charles Holden shot and killed Wilbarger County (TX) Deputy Sheriff James Coffee on the Oklahoma side of the Red River at the Webb Crossing. Charles Holden was later arrested, pled guilty to the murder of Deputy Sheriff James Coffee, and was sentenced to ninety-nine years in prison. Charles Holden was never tried for the murder of Deputy Sheriff Grover Fulkerson.

OLEM – 5N-5-10    NLEOM – 2W20

February 19, 2021