Oklahoma Law Enforcement Memorial

George W. Jackson - Assistant Chief

Oklahoma City Police Department

About 6 a.m. the morning of Sunday, January 16, 1898, Assistant Chief George Jackson responded to a disturbance by two men at a brothel in the 400 block of West Second Street (now Robert S. Kerr Ave.). As Assistant Chief Jackson entered the house, he met one of the men, Bishop Armstrong, an Oklahoma County Deputy Sheriff, and began fighting with him. The other man, Fred Jones, the night bartender at the Compton Saloon and brother of slain Oklahoma City Chief of Police John Milton Jones, then pulled Assistant Chief George Jackson off his friend, Bishop Armstrong, at gunpoint. When Assistant Chief George Jackson tried to disarm Fred Jones, Jones shot Assistant Chief Jackson once, shattering his right hip. Fred Jones took off running and Assistant Chief George Jackson fired at him several times. One of the bullets hit Bishop Armstrong. Bishop Armstrong recovered from his gunshot wound but Assistant Chief George Jackson’s condition continued to deteriorate until he died on Tuesday, April 12, 1898, a month before his fiftieth birthday.

Assistant Chief George W. Jackson was survived by his wife Francis and is buried in Fairlawn Cemetery, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 5N-4-10    NLEOM – 46W3

March 3, 2021

Henry Harrison Jackson - Federal Prohibition Agent

U.S. Department Of Justice

The morning of Friday, April 15, 1932, Agent Henry Jackson and two other Federal Prohibition Agents were searching for a whiskey still in the Frogville community southeast of Hugo in Choctaw County when they came upon Robert Smith and attempted to disarm him. During the struggle Agent Henry Jackson was wounded in the abdomen by Robert Smith who then escaped. That afternoon Agent Henry Jackson, 42, was transported to the Paris Sanitarium in Paris, Texas where he died two days later Sunday, April 17th at 2 p.m.

Agent Henry Jackson was survived by his wife, a daughter and two sons and is buried in Mount Olive Cemetery, Hugo, Choctaw County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 10S-1-10    NLEOM –  

March 3, 2021

Robert S. Jackson - Officer

Tulsa Police Department

About 8:30 p.m. on Monday, October 31, 1927, Officer Robert Jackson was summoned to the Ellis residence at 523 North Greenwood in reference to the husband, Percy Ellis, being drunk and threatening to shoot his wife. As Officer Robert Jackson started up the front steps to the residence, Percy Ellis shot Officer Robert Jackson four times. Officer Jackson returned fire, hitting Percy Ellis in both arms, the left lung and liver before he collapsed. Officer Robert Jackson died on the way to the hospital.  

Robert S. Jackson had been a Tulsa Police Officer for two years and was the first black Tulsa police officer to die in the line of duty.  

Officer Robert Jackson is buried in Rolling Oaks Memorial Gardens Cemetery, East Tulsa, Tulsa County, Oklahoma.

Percy Ellis died from his wounds several days later.

OLEM – 8S-2-14    NLEOM – 53W15

March 3, 2021

Ray Lee Jacomo, Jr. – Deputy Sheriff

Pottawatomie County Sheriff’s Office

Deputy Sheriff Ray Jacomo was a long time Seminole resident moving there in 1988 from his home state of Louisiana. After living in Seminole for seven years he met Teresa Ann “Tracy” Wood. Ray Jacomo and Tracy were married in February 1996. In 2000 their only child, a daughter, Katherine Elizabeth “Katie” was born.

Ray Jacomo had joined the Pottawatomie County Sheriffs Office in 1997 as a Transport Deputy Sheriff.

On Wednesday, April 21, 2021, Deputy Sheriff Ray Jacomo had transported a felony prisoner. When he got back to the Sheriff’s office, Deputy Jacomo told them he did not feel well and went home. Later when Deputy Sheriff Jacomo’s wife got home, she called an ambulance for him. Deputy Sheriff Ray Jacomo died in the ambulance on the way to the hospital.

Deputy Sheriff Ray Jacomo was survived by his wife of twenty-five years, Tracy, and adult daughter Katie.

Ray Jacomo is buried at Little Cemetery, Little, Seminole County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 12S-1-1   NLEOM –

April 21, 2022

Darrell Elven "Jack" James - Lake Ranger

City of Duncan

Shortly before 9 p.m. on Monday, June 3, 1985, Lake Ranger Darrell James, 34, radioed Marlow Police dispatchers that he was stopping a brown and white van with “Security” printed on the side. Lake Ranger James was investigating a report of shots fired southeast of Clear Creek Lake, northwest of Duncan. Less than half an hour later, responding backup officers found Lake ranger Darrell James dead from gun shots to his head and chest. Lake Ranger James’ service revolver was missing. The next day, Arthur Michael Parks, 35, the owner of Delta Security Systems, was arrested in Lawton.

Lake Ranger Darrell James was survived by his wife, Cheryl and two children and is buried in Marlow Cemetery, Marlow, Stephens County, Oklahoma.

Arthur Parks was tried twice, found guilty of the murder of Lake Ranger Darrell James both times and sentenced to life in prison both times.

OLEM – 2N-2-11    NLEOM – 29W15

March 3, 2021

William Aaron "Bill" James - City Marshal

City of Texhoma

About 4 a.m. the morning of Sunday, May 20, 1962, City Marshal William James, 24, and Deputy City Marshal Joe Dale Hartman had taken Kenneth James Hoover, 24, home after finding him drunk near the downtown area of Texhoma, in Texas County in the panhandle of Oklahoma. Kenneth Hoover did not stay home and walked back downtown where the two officers took him into custody again after a brief fight. The officers took Kenneth Hoover to City Hall where Hoover hit City Marshal William James in the head and escaped. Kenneth Hoover went home and got a 12-gauge shotgun and returned to City Hall because he felt the two officers had been harassing him. Kenneth Hoover saw City Marshal William James through a window and opened fire on him, killing City Marshal James. Kenneth Hoover reloaded the shotgun and went inside where he saw the unarmed Deputy City Marshal Joe Hartman go into a room and close the door behind him. Deputy City Marshal Joe Hartman leaned against the door to keep Kenneth Hoover out. Kenneth Hoover then fired the shotgun through the door, fatally wounding Deputy City Marshal Joe Hartman. The shotgun was found at the scene by responding officers and Kenneth Hoover was located hiding in a ditch a few blocks away.

City Marshal William James was survived by his wife and two children and is buried in Texhoma Cemetery, Texhoma, Sherman County, Texas.

OLEM – 7N-5-17             NLEOM – 12E24

March 3, 2021

Guy Milton Jarvis - Undersheriff

Blaine County Sheriff's Office

On the morning of Thursday, June 25, 1931, Undersheriff Guy Jarvis, 38, and Deputy Sheriff George Gender went to arrest Charles Fillmore Davis, 41, for stealing gasoline. As the county officers approached Charles Davis’ two room shack seven miles northeast of Watonga, Charles Davis fired through the door twice. Charles Davis then yelled at the county officers that if they put down their guns he come out and surrender to them. The county officers laid their guns down. Charles Davis came out with a 12-gauge shotgun and shot Undersheriff Guy Jarvis in the chest killing him instantly and slightly wounding Deputy Sheriff George Gender. Deputy Sheriff George Gender retreated out of the area. Charles Davis then picked up the two county officers’ guns and left in their county car.

Undersheriff Guy Jarvis was survived by his wife and daughter and is buried in Memory Lane Cemetery, Anadarko, Caddo County, Oklahoma.

Charles Davis was arrested on July 17 near Drumright with the two county officers’ guns. Charles Davis was convicted of Undersheriff Guy Jarvis’ murder and died in the Oklahoma electric chair on August 9, 1932.

OLEM – 1N-1-21 / 7N-2-3              NLEOM – 52E12

Undersheriff Guy M. Jarvis’ name is duplicated on the Oklahoma Law Enforcement Memorial.

March 3, 2021

Stephen Roshawn Jenkins Sr. – Corporal

Oklahoma Department of Corrections

The evening of Saturday, January 7, 2017, Corporal Stephen Jenkins, 42, and three other correctional officers observed prison inmate Jerime Williams just outside of the boundary fence of the Clara Waters Community Corrections Center in Oklahoma City retrieving a bag of contraband. As the correctional officers approached Jerime Willams he ran. The four correctional officers gave foot pursuit and were able to apprehend Jerime Williams. The four officers were bringing Jerime Williams back inside the prison yard for disciplinary action when Corporal Stephen Jenkins suffered a heart attack and collapsed. Corporal Stephen Jenkins was transported to a hospital but died shortly after arriving.

Corporal Stephen Jenkins had only served with the Department of Corrections for eighteen months before his death and was survived by his four children.

Stephen Jenkins is buried in Hillcrest Memory Gardens, Spencer, Oklahoma County, Oklahoma.

Inmate Jerime Williams was charged with Manslaughter in the death of Corporal Stephen Jenkins.

OLEM – 4N-2-16    NLEOM – 10W31

March 3, 2021

Leslie Jennings - Traffic Officer

Muskogee Police Department

On Monday, July 14, 1924, Traffic Officer Leslie Jennings had been on the Muskogee police force two weeks and was riding with S. Pike, Chief of the traffic force. The two officers had stopped a motorist at the intersection of Fifth and Broadway, in front of the Muskogee Drug Company. While Officer Leslie Jennings, 32, was standing next to the stopped car issuing a citation, a car driven by Robert Venus, 19, sideswiped the police car and struck Officer Leslie Jennings. Officer Jennings was knocked twenty feet and landed on his head. Officer Leslie Jennings died of his injuries the next morning, Tuesday, July 15th.

Officer Leslie Jennings was survived by his wife and is buried in Greenhill Cemetery, Muskogee, Muskogee County, Oklahoma.  

Robert Venus was charged with manslaughter in the death of Officer Leslie Jennings.

OLEM – 8S-2-5    NLEOM – 55W26

March 3, 2021

Aron Wilson Johnson - Deputy U. S. Marshal

U. S. Marshal

On Wednesday, October 21, 1896, Deputy U.S. Marshals Aron Johnson, and Ryan were attempting to serve an arrest warrant on Jess Stedham in the Chickasaw Nation, Oklahoma Territory. Upon approaching the Jess Stedham home Deputy Marshal Aron Johnson headed towards the front as Deputy Marshal Ryan went to the back of the house. Deputy Marshal Aron Johnson knocked on the door and identified himself as a Deputy U.S. Marshal. Deputy Marshal Ryan then heard a single gunshot and ran to the front of the house and found Deputy Marshal Aron Johnson dead from a single gunshot to his chest.  

Jess Stedham was arrested on the original warrant and charged with the murder of Deputy Marshal Aron Johnson.

Deputy U.S. Marshal Aron Johnson is buried in Grady Cemetery, Jefferson County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 9N-1-5     NLEOM – 7E2

March 3, 2021

Craig Vincent Johnson - Sergeant

Tulsa Police Department

About 3:30 a.m. the morning of Monday, June 29, 2020, patrol officer Aurash Zarkeshan, stopped a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt near the intersection of East 21st Street and 89th East Avenue for having a temporary paper tag that was two months expired. Officer Zarkeshan’s shift supervisor Sergeant Craig Johnson, 45, arrived shortly thereafter as the backup officer.

The driver of the stopped vehicle was David Anthony Ware, 32. The officers advised Ware that they were going to impound the Chevrolet Cobalt and ordered David Ware twelve times to get out of the vehicle. Sergeant Craig Johnson demonstrated three times that his Taster was charged. David Ware continued to refuse to exit the vehicle. The two officers attempted to forcibly remove David Ware from the vehicle during which Ware was tased but just ripped out the taser probes. Sergeant Craig Johnson then twice pepper sprayed David Ware while they were struggling to remove him. As the officers were pulling David Ware out of the vehicle Ware reached under the driver’s seat of the car, pulled out a .40 caliber semi-automatic handgun and fired at each officer three times. Both officers were struck in the head and torso. As the officers laid on the payment David Ware shot Sergeant Craig Johnson three more times.

David Ware then slowly walked away from the scene and escaped in a waiting red Jeep SUV, driven by his friend Matthew Hall, 29, whom Ware had called earlier.

Both wounded officers were transported to different hospitals in Tulsa in extremely critical condition for treatment.

Early Monday, before he was arrested, David Ware was charged with two counts of shooting with intent to kill and possession of a firearm after a former conviction of a felony by the Tulsa County District Attorney.

Matthew Hall was arrested that same Monday afternoon and charged with accessory to a felony.

Sergeant Craig Johnson was awarded the Tulsa Police Department’s Purple Heart Medal before he died of his wounds at 1:19 p.m. Tuesday, June 30th.

One of the “shooting with intent to kill” charges against David Ware was then changed to first degree murder.

Sergeant Craig Johnson was a fifteen-year veteran of the Tulsa Police Department being promoted to Sergeant in 2015.  

Sergeant Craig Johnson was survived by his wife Kristi and two sons Connor, 11, and Clinton, 8, and is buried at Floral Haven Memorial Gardens, Broken Arrow, Tulsa County, Oklahoma.

In March 2021 Matthew Hall was convicted and sentenced to two consecutive twelve year prison terms for two counts of being an accessory to a shooting with intent to kill as the getaway driver and getting rid of the gun used in the shootings.

In April 2022 David Ware was convicted on all five counts against him. Ware was sentenced to life in prison for shooting with intent to kill Officer Zarkeshan; 30 years in prison for possession of a firearm after conviction of a felony; 25 years in prison for possession of drugs with intent to distribute; 1 year for obstructing an officer; and death for the first-degree murder of Sergeant Craig Johnson.

OLEM – 10N-1-18    NLEOM – 31E32

May 30, 2022

Monty Thomas Johnson - Undersheriff

Pawnee County Sheriffs Office

Monty Johnson, 63, had been with the Pawnee County Sheriff’s Office for fifteen years and was serving as the Undersheriff the morning of Thursday, February 21, 2019. About 6:30 a.m. that Thursday morning Undersheriff Monty Johnson was four miles south of Pawnee north bound on Highway 18 four-tenths of a mile south of County Road 510 in route to pick up a co-worker for a training class. A 2003 Ford pickup going in the opposite direction apparently ran off the right side of the road then the thirty-year-old driver, Alexander Pummill, over corrected and went left of center striking Undersheriff Monty Johnson’s 2008 Ford Crown Victoria county patrol car head-on killing the Undersheriff instantly. Alexander Plummill was seriously injured and transported to a local hospital.

Undersheriff Monty Johnson was survived by his wife Anita and three adult children, Monica Johnson, Melissa and husband Jeff Waters, and Kendal Johnson and his wife Lydia.

Monty Johnson is buried in Terlton Cemetery, Terlton, Pawnee County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 10N-1-16   NLEOM – 64E31

February 20, 2022

Thearel Major Johnson - City Marshal

City of Wister

The evening of Friday, June 30, 1950, City Marshal Thearel Johnson saw two men he was looking for to question about the robbery of a taxicab driver two days earlier. As City Marshal Thearel Johnson, 41, approached the two men, one of them, Troy Sterling, 22, drew a gun and opened fire on the City Marshal. Although he was hit three times, in the head and chest, City Marshal Johnson returned fire.

City Marshal Thearel Johnson died a short time later in a Poteau hospital. Troy Sterling’s dead body was found a short distance from the shooting scene. The other man, 17-year-old, Odis Ollar, surrendered to the Sheriff the next morning.

City Marshal Thearel Johnson was survived by wife and five children and is buried in Ellis Chapel Cemetery, Wister, Le Flore County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 7N-4-6    NLEOM – 45E26

March 3, 2021

Thomas M. Johnson - Deputy Sheriff

Pawnee County Sheriff's Office

Thomas Johnson was born July 9, 1870, in Nebraska.  

On Tuesday, March 19, 1901, Deputy Sheriff Thomas Johnson, 30, was part of a posse that had tracked two men who robbed a store and killed the manager in Red Rock the day before, to the home of Isom Cunningham three miles north of Pawnee. Some of the posse were talking to Isom Cunningham at the front door. Deputy Sheriff Thomas Johnson was approaching them when someone in the house fired through a crack in the door and shot Deputy Sheriff Thomas Johnson.  The shooting suspects, Bert Welty and Ben Cravens escaped. Deputy Sheriff Thomas Johnson died two days later Thursday, March 21st.

Deputy Sheriff Thomas Johnson was survived by his wife Eva and two young children and is buried in Highland Cemetery, Pawnee, Pawnee County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 1N-2-16    NLEOM –

March 21, 2022

Benjamin H."Ben" Johnston - Detective

Tulsa Police Department

Detective Benjamin Johnston and his partner Detective S. R. Carmack were questioning a couple of suspicious men by a car near the Sophian Plaza in the 1500 block of South Frisco Avenue on the evening of Thursday, September 12, 1946.   Detective S. R. Carmack was talking with James Oswell Neely, 17, on the passenger’s side of the car while Detective Benjamin Johnston was talking with Victor Lloyd Everhart, 23, on the driver’s side. At almost the same time both men in the car drew guns and fired at both officers. Detective Benjamin Johnston was hit in the upper right chest and Detective S. R. Carmack was shot through the heart. Detective Carmack was able to shoot James Neely in the leg before he died at the scene. Detective Benjamin Johnston, 57, died on Friday January 3, 1947, from a heart ailment aggravated by his gunshot wound.

Victor Everhart was charged with Detective Benjamin Johnston’s murder but escaped from the Tulsa County Jail on February 2. Everhart was later killed in a shootout with Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troopers south of Chouteau.

Detective Benjamin Johnston was survived by his wife Mable and his six-year-old son Benjamin and is buried in Oaklawn Cemetery, Tulsa, Tulsa County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 7N-3-6    NLEOM – 46E12

March 3, 2021

William H. Johnston - Detective

Bristow Police Department

Just afternoon of Saturday, September 20, 1924, the State Bank of Kellyville was held up for the third time in two years. The word went out to law enforcement in all surrounding communities including Bristow, seven miles southwest of Kellyville. Bristow Detective William H. Johnston, 57, Creek County Deputy Sheriff William Cooke and Constable E. L. McElvaine got in a Buick touring car and started north toward Kellyville in hopes of heading off the bank robbers. The speeding Buick crashed a mile outside of Bristow overturning twice and ejecting Detective William Johnston killing him. The other two officers were only slightly injured. Detective William Johnston had severed as an Okmulgee Police Officer for twelve years before joining the Bristow police force.

Detective William Johnston is buried in Greenhill Cemetery, Muskogee, Muskogee County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 9N-1-18 (Johnson)    NLEOM – 4W31

March 3, 2021

Alvis Jones - Deputy Sheriff

Pontotoc County Sheriff's Office

On Friday, January 29, 1937, Pontotoc County Deputies Alvis Jones and Charley Shockley along with Deputy U. S. Marshal Allen Stanfield stopped a car on Highway 12 east of Ada. The officers were searching for the suspect in an armed robbery that occurred in McAlester in which a policeman was wounded. As Deputy Marshal Stanfield was searching the car, the driver, Jack Scott, 17, opened fire on the officers with a .22 automatic pistol, shooting through his pocket. Deputy Marshal Stanfield was wounded and Deputy Sheriff Alvis Jones, 38, was hit in the left side, the bullet fatally puncturing his aorta.

The suspect, Jack Scott, then drove off with officers firing at him. Scott was arrested the next morning near his bullet-riddled car one mile south of Stringtown. Jack Scott had been wounded in the left hand and the tip of his nose had been shot off by the officers’ bullets the day before. Jack Scott was a runaway from St. Louis and said he just “wanted some excitement”.

Alvis Jones had been a Pontotoc County Deputy Sheriff four years and was survived by his wife Juanita.

Alvis Jones is buried in Rosedale Cemetery, Ada, Pontotoc County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 8S-4-22 (Alvin)    NLEOM – 50W27

January 29, 2021

Benjamin Franklin Jones - Sheriff

Tobucksy (Toboxy) County, Choctaw Nation, I.T

On Wednesday, September 20, 1876, Sheriff Benjamin Jones was standing in John J. McAlester’s store in McAlester Station (later McAlester) named after the store’s owner, when Robert Ream fired a shotgun blast of buckshot through a store window, hitting Sheriff Benjamin Jones in the side, killing him. Robert Ream immediately surrendered to another officer, admitted the shooting, and claimed self-defense because Sheriff Benjamin Jones intended to kill him on sight. The local paper reported there had been difficulty between the two men for some time and blamed the killing on the interaction between illegal liquor and Indian tribes.


Benjamin F. Jones is buried in North McAlester Cemetery, McAlester, Pittsburg County, Oklahoma.


Tobucksy County later became Pittsburg County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 5N-1-2    NLEOM – 58E18

March 4, 2021

Berry Jones - Sheriff

Okfuskee County Sheriff’s Office

Saturday evening, February 14, 1920, about 6 p.m. Sheriff Berry Jones, and Deputy Frank Cole were called upon to arrest three young men who were creating a disturbance in Okemah. One of the men was arrested after a struggle in the south part of town and brought to jail by Deputy Cole. Sheriff Berry Jones and Deputy Roland Green then pursued the other two men, who were escaping on horseback, in Deputy Green’s Ford car. A couple miles south of town Sheriff Berry Jones told Deputy Green to “Stop”. As Deputy Roland Green brought the Ford to a stop Sheriff Berry Jones fell over on him dead from an apparent heart attack.

Sheriff Berry Jones was survived by his wife and one son and is buried in Highland Cemetery, Okemah, Okfuskee County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 10S-1-6    NLEOM – 51E26

February 12, 2021

Harrison Jones - Constable

Smeltertown, Jackson Township

Saturday evening, February 14, 1920, about 6 p.m. Sheriff Berry Jones, and Deputy Frank Cole were called upon to arrest three young men who were creating a disturbance in Okemah. One of the men was arrested after a struggle in the south part of town and brought to jail by Deputy Cole. Sheriff Berry Jones and Deputy Roland Green then pursued the other two men, who were escaping on horseback, in Deputy Green’s Ford car. A couple miles south of town Sheriff Berry Jones told Deputy Green to “Stop”. As Deputy Roland Green brought the Ford to a stop Sheriff Berry Jones fell over on him dead from an apparent heart attack.

Sheriff Berry Jones was survived by his wife and one son and is buried in Highland Cemetery, Okemah, Okfuskee County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 10S-1-6    NLEOM – 51E26

February 12, 2021

James Payton "Pate" Jones - Security Officer

Granite State Reformatory

Oklahoma Department of Correction

Shortly after 2 p.m. on Sunday, February 17, 1935, thirty-two prisoners at the State Reformatory at Granite were able to arm themselves, take a group of women and children touring the prison hostage and attempted to escape. As the prisoners and their hostages approached the front gate tower where Security Officer James Jones, 65, was on duty, one of the prisoners, Bennett Pat Casey, 22, a five-time convicted burglar, fatally shot Officer James Jones with a shotgun.

Officer James Jones’s wife, Amelia, was standing on the front porch of the officer’s barracks a short distance away and saw her husband shot down.

James Jones was also survived by his adult children, son Nay, 47, and daughter Hettie, 40 and is buried in Rosehill Cemetery, Chickasha, Grady County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 8S-5-20 (Peter Jones)   NLEOM – 2E23

February 17, 2021

John B. Jones - Deputy U. S. Marshal

U. S. Marshal

John B. Jones was a Deputy U.S. Marshal for ten years, serving under several marshals, including William Fossett, the U.S. Marshal for the District of Oklahoma Territory. John B. Jones moved to Bartlesville one year before his death, assigned by Marshal Fossett to police the Osage Nation.

Friday, July 3, 1903, was the first day of a two-day Independence Day celebration by the Osage Tribe on the grounds of the home of tribal Governor Bigheart on Bird Creek about twelve miles southeast of Pawhuska.

The governor asked Deputy Marshal John Jones to be present during the festivities to maintain order. All seemed to go well until about 11 p.m. when Deputy Marshal Jones came upon two men drunk on wine. When the deputy marshal tried to take the wine away from the men, one of them, Ed Lisle, ran away up some stairs threatening to get a gun and shoot the deputy marshal. Deputy Marshal John Jones was standing at the bottom of the stairs in a lit area. Ed Lisle came back out of a room at the top of the stairs with a rifle, which the deputy marshal could not see due to the darkness at the top of the stairs.  As Deputy Marshal Jones tried to talk Lisle in to coming down Ed Lisle shot Deputy Marshal John Jones, killing him almost instantly. Ed Lisle went back into the room and escaped out a window. The next day Ed Lisle turned himself in at Pawhuska and was charged with Deputy Marshal John Jones’ murder.
Deputy Marshal John B. Jones, 46, was reported to be “about 50 years old” was married to a blind woman, seventeen years younger than himself, named Grace. When Grace Jones died in 1916, she was buried next to her husband John in Fairlawn Cemetery in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 5N-5-1    NLEOM – 61W11

March 4, 2021

John Milton "Milt" Jones - Chief

Oklahoma City Police Department

On Sunday, June 30, 1895, three armed men escaped from the Oklahoma County Jail in Oklahoma City. The men were the Christian brothers, Bob, and Bill, being held for the murder of Pottawatomie County Deputy Sheriff Will Turner and Jim Casey being held for the murder of Canadian County Deputy Sheriff Sam Farris.

Chief John “Milt” Jones, 30, and Officer G. W. Jackson confronted the escapees at Grand and Broadway. A gunfight broke out during which Chief John Jones and Jim Casey were killed. The two Christian brothers escaped.

Chief John Jones was survived by his wife Lillie and is buried in Fairlawn Cemetery, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma County, Oklahoma.

Chief John M. Jones was the first Oklahoma City Police Officer to die in the line of duty.

Bill Christian was killed in Arizona in 1897.

Bob Christian was never located.

OLEM – 5N-2-15    NLEOM – 39W5

March 4, 2021

William Franklin "Bill" Jones - Constable/Deputy Sheriff

City of Frederick/Tillman County Sheriff's Dept.

On Sunday, July 15, 1934, Constable William “Bill” Jones, 52, was attending a picnic at Manitou Twin Lakes Park when two men got into a knife fight. As the two men, Virgil Jones, 28, and Claude Meadows, 32, crashed into a concession stand, Tillman County Deputy Sheriff Roy Reddin stepped in to break up what he thought was a fist fight. Constable William Jones came over to assist Deputy Sheriff Reddin.

As Constable William Jones stepped up behind Claude Meadows, Meadows swung his fist around and struck Constable Jones on the left side of his throat above the collarbone. Claude Meadows then said, “Don’t hit me, Bill, I didn’t know it was you”. Constable William Jones began leading Claude Meadows, who continued to apologize, through the crowd but collapsed after a short distance. It was discovered that Constable William Jones had been stabbed, his jugular vein had been severed and he died in moments.

Constable William Jones was survived by his wife and two daughters and is buried in Frederick Memorial Cemetery, Frederick, Tillman County, Oklahoma.

Claude Meadows was convicted of killing Constable William Jones and sentenced to twenty years in prison.

OLEM – 9N-2-11    NLEOM – 21E26

March 4, 2021

Joseph Martin Jordan - Deputy US Marshal

US Marshal

Mose Miller was wanted on a murder warrant charging him with the killing of Deputy U.S. Marshal Thomas R. Madden on April 19, 1896.  The warrant was issued, and Mose Miller had been on the run ever since.  Mose Miller was running with his brother John and George Boyles, who were both wanted by the Cherokee authorities for several crimes.

Joe Jordan and his younger brother, John, ran a cattle ranch twelve miles from Muskogee, near Keefeton in the Indian Territory.  Joe Jordan was also a commissioned Deputy U.S. Marshal, serving under United States Marshal Leo Bennett of the Northern District of Indian Territory. Joe was married and had a family.  


The Jordan brothers had been losing cattle to rustlers and were continually on the watch for the thieves.  On Thursday, October 14, 1897, John Jordan saw two men sleeping alongside the roadway near the ranch.  His first thought was that they were the rustlers.  John hurriedly went to the ranch and told Joe what he had seen.  The brothers grabbed their weapons and went to investigate.  As the Jordan brothers rode up, the two men were still sleeping, and their horses were tied nearby.  The Jordan brothers quietly got down from their horses and approached the sleeping men.  Unknown to either of them, the sleepers were John Miller and George Boyles. Joe Jordan called to the men to raise their hands and surrender.  Both John Miller and George Boyles rolled, grabbed their rifles, and came up firing.  Joe Jordan was struck in the chest, the bullet piercing his heart, and he fell to the ground dead.  John Jordan returned fire and managed to kill both John Miller and George Boyles.  John Jordan was lucky as a bullet had gone through his clothing.

Joe Jordan was buried in the Agnew Cemetery near the present-day town of Keefeton in Muskogee County, Oklahoma.  


The Cherokee Lighthorse arrested John Jordan, charging him with the killing of John Miller and George Boyles.  John Jordan was released later and died about a month later of undetermined causes.  The family said that John was deeply disturbed because of the killings.  Both John Miller and George Boyles were under twenty years old and were Cherokees, as was John Jordan.

OLEM – 9N-2-11                           NLEOM –

March 4, 2021