Oklahoma Law Enforcement Memorial

Thomas Richard Madden - Deputy US Marshal

US Marshal

Thomas Madden had been in the Indian Territory for seventeen years and as a white man married to a Cherokee woman, he was an adopted citizen of the Cherokee Nation. Thomas Madden was sworn in as a Deputy U.S. Marshal for the Western District of Arkansas on June 15, 1894. Thomas Madden owned a large general store in Braggs.

A group of Cherokee men, known as the Kee-too-wah Society, had threatened to murder Thomas Madden and burn down his house. Despite the threat Thomas Madden did not leave the area.

On Sunday morning, April 19, 1896, Thomas Madden, 45, was informed that Mose Miller, a twenty-year-old Cherokee Indian and member of the Kee-too-wah Society, was loitering in front of Thomas Madden’s closed store. Mose Miller had a bad reputation and was out of jail on bond for assault. Thomas Madden’s brother, John, accompanied him to investigate Mose Miller. As the Madden brothers approached the front of the store, Mose Miller drew his gun and fired. The Madden brothers drew their guns and returned fire. Deputy Marshal Thomas Madden was struck in the hip and groin and fell dead. John Madden kept firing at Mose Miller, but Miller escaped.

Thomas Madden is buried in South Bethel Cemetery, Braggs, Muskogee County, Oklahoma.

Mose Miller later killed Deputy U.S. Marshal Joe Jordan on October 14, 1897, before Miller was shot and killed in a shootout with Sequoyah County Deputy Sheriff Till Conley on September 30, 1916.

OLEM – 4N-3-15    NLEOM –

May 10, 2021

J. R. Maddox – Deputy U.S. Marshal

U.S. Marshal Service

 This appears to be a mistaken name on the memorial.  

Initial newspaper reports of a shooting occurring July 4, 1907, near Porum, Oklahoma Territory, reported that two Deputy U.S. Marshal, E. J. Sapper and J. R. Maddox, were killed. Later newspaper reports corrected the name of the only Deputy U.S. Marshal killed in the shooting was Sam Roberts (Samuel E. Roberts). No record has been found of a Deputy U.S. Marshal named J. R. Maddox.

OLEM – 5N-4-8

November 7, 2021

J.C. Magar - Trooper

Oklahoma Highway Patrol

On Sunday morning, June 29, 1975, the day after Trooper J C Magar’s twenty-nineth birthday, Trooper J C Magar stopped to assist a stranded couple two miles south of Hugo on Highway 271. Trooper Magar gave the couple, Charles and Irene McAlpine, a ride into Hugo to a car wash to use a pay phone.

Trooper J C Magar then drove to the Hugo police station a block away. The McAlpine’s soon followed the state trooper into the police station. Charles McAlpine walked over to Trooper Magar and asked him to make a phone call for him then McAlpine grabbed Trooper Magar’s gun from its holster. Charles McAlpine then at gun point ordered Trooper Magar outside and to take him to an airport. Once outside the Hugo police station Charles McAlpine shot Trooper Magar in the chest then ran pursued by Hugo police officers. During the exchange of shots with the Hugo officers Charles McAlpine shot himself in the head. Trooper J C Magar and Charles McAlpine were taken to the hospital where they both died that afternoon.

Trooper J C Magar was survived by his wife Brenda and two children, Dana, 8, and James, 5. His son James went on to become an Oklahoma Highway Patrol Trooper.

J C Magar is buried in Broken Bow Cemetery, Broken Bow, McCurtain County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 1N-3-16    NLEOM – 53W11

March 20, 2021

Steven Leroy Mahan - Sergeant

Elk City Police Department

Shortly after 2 a.m. the morning of Wednesday, January 5, 1983, Sergeant Steven Mahan, 30, stopped by the Los Cuartos Inn motel on I-40 to check the welfare of the night clerk as he routinely did. Sergeant Mahan noticed the motel clerk was absent then saw a black man run around the corner of the motel. Sergeant Mahan was then confronted by two other black men, who then shot Sergeant Steven Mahan in the abdomen. While Sergeant Mahan was lying face down on the ground he was disarmed and shot several times in the head.

Three men were arrested thirty minutes later in Clinton and were charged with the armed robbery of the motel and the murder of Sergeant Steven Mahan.

Sergeant Steven Mahan died at 5:30 a.m. that morning and was survived by his ex-wife and 2-year-old-daughter, Heather.  

Steven Mahan is buried in Clinton Cemetery, Clinton, Custer County, Oklahoma.

Two of the arrested men, Jerry E. Long and Mitchell E. Henderson were sentenced to forty years in prison while the third man, Bobby L. Ross received the death penalty and was executed by lethal injection on December 9, 1999.

OLEM – 2N-2-1    NLEOM – 46W16

March 20, 2021

Johnny Ray Maisano, Sr. - State Game Warden

Oklahoma Department of Wildlife

Johnny Maisano, 53, had been a State Game Warden for thirteen years when in January of 1988 he contracted Lyme Disease from handling animals killed on the roads in his area. Johnny Maisano was hospitalized several times over the next couple years from the effects of the disease. Despite his continual sufferings from the disease Johnny Maisano remained an active Game Warden until his death the morning of Sunday, August 26, 1990. Johnny Maisano had died in his sleep during the night at home following an active day at a local sportsmen’s club fish fry at Robber’s Cave State Park near Wilburton.

Johnny Maisano had filed a worker’s comp claim in 1989 and in late December 1990, four months after his death, the Worker’s Compensation Court of Oklahoma ruled that Game Warden Johnny Maisano had contracted the Lyme Disease in the course and scope of his employment as a State Game Warden.

Johnny Maisano was survived by his wife Mary and two grown children, Jim and Belinda and is buried in Memory Gardens Cemetery, McAlester, Pittsburg County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 9S-2-6    NLEOM – 15W28

March 20, 2021

Thomas Elbert Majors - Deputy Sheriff

Seminole County Sheriffs Office

About 12:30 a.m. on Saturday, October 1, 1927, Deputy Sheriffs Thomas Majors and Jim Villines had tracked some jail escapees to a rooming house in Wilsonville. Deputy Sheriff Thomas Majors went to the front door while Deputy Sheriff Jim Villines went to the back of the rooming house. Upon finding the back door locked Deputy Sheriff Villines returned to the front door and observed Deputy Sheriff Thomas Majors fighting with one of the escapees, Jack Bailey, for control of Deputy Sheriff Major’s gun. Deputy Sheriff Jim Villines drew his gun and fired at Jack Bailey but accidentally shot Deputy Sheriff Thomas Majors in the head. Jack Bailey escaped again, and Deputy Sheriff Thomas Majors died soon after arriving at the hospital.

Thomas Majors, 40, had been an officer at Citra in Hughes County for twelve years prior to becoming a Deputy Sheriff in Seminole County just a few days before his death.  

Deputy Sheriff Thomas Majors was survived by his wife Ruth and their four children ranging in age from 5 to 12 years old and is buried in Holdenville Cemetery, Holdenville, Hughes County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 8S-3-17 (Jim)    NLEOM – 9W23 [C E]

September 2, 2021

James E.dward Maloch - Chief

Perry Police Department

About 8 p.m. on Saturday, December 11, 1915, Chief James Maloch, 37, had an informant make a “buy” of liquor from a known bootlegger named Lee Hilbert. Afterwards when Chief James Maloch and Noble County Deputy Sheriff Barnes started toward Lee Hilbert to arrest him, Lee Hilbert pulled a .38 caliber revolver from his pocket and fired once as he started to run. Police Chief James Maloch returned fire but soon slumped to the ground shot in the abdomen.

Lee Hilbert was captured the next day.

Chief James Maloch died three days later at 2 a.m. on Tuesday, December 14th.

Chief James Maloch was survived by his wife Maggie and their five children and is buried in Grace Hill Cemetery, Perry, Noble County, Oklahoma.

Lee Hilbert was found guilty of the killing of Chief James Maloch and sentenced to life in prison.

OLEM – 3S-2-10    NLEOM – 41W19

March 20, 2021

Stephen Mann - City Marshal

City of Medford

City Marshal Stephen Mann, 45, was shot and killed almost instantly early Sunday morning, June 28, 1925, during a gun battle with Ray Johnson and Albert Greer whom City Marshal Mann had surprised in an alley as they were burglarizing a Medford store.

City Marshal Stephen Mann was survived by his wife Annie and their two young children, Doris, and Stephen “Walter”.

Stephen Mann is buried in Rosemound Cemetery, Medford, Grant County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 4S-3-16    NLEOM – 37W24

March 20, 2021

Daniel "Dan"  Maples - Deputy U.S. Marshal

U.S. Marshal

Late Wednesday evening, May 5, 1887, Deputy Marshal Daniel Maples was returning to camp in Tahlequah where he was with his posse, George Jefferson, investigating illegal whiskey operations when Deputy Marshal Maples was shot in the chest from ambush. Deputy Marshal Daniel Maples fired four shots at his attacker as he fell, missing his assailant. Deputy Marshal Maples died shortly after midnight on Thursday, May 6th from his chest wound. Ned Christie, a Cherokee, was quickly suspected of being Deputy Marshal Maples’ killer and a warrant for his arrest issued. For over five years the deputy marshals tried to arrest Ned Chritie. Finally, the early morning hours of Friday, November 4, 1892, Ned Chritie was killed in a fiery gun battle with Deputy U.S. Marshals at Christie’s fortress type log cabin.

In 1918, thirty-one years after Deputy Marshal Daniel Maples’ death, Richard A. “Dick” Humphrey, an eyewitness to the murder of Deputy Marshal Maples, finally revealed that the killer was in fact Thomas Bud Trainor, Jr. who had been killed in 1896.   

Deputy Marshal Daniel Maples was survived by his wife Maletha and their sons Archibald, 17, and George, 6.

Daniel Maples is buried in Bentonville Cemetery, Bentonville, Benton County, Arkansas.

OLEM – 5N-2-1    NLEOM – 26W15

March 20, 2021

Herbert E. Marlow - Officer

Dewey Police Department

At 3:30 a.m. Saturday morning, November 11, 1922, Officers Herbert Marlow and Ralston while patrolling observed two men inside a clothing store putting clothes in suitcases. Officer Marlow sent Officer Ralston, who was unarmed, for the other armed officer on duty while Marlow stood by an open door of the store. Officer Herbert Marlow was unaware that the streetlight back lighted him. A third man acting as look out shot Officer Herbert Marlow in the left lung with a rifle with the bullet then traveling downward. Officer Herbert Marlow fired all five rounds in his revolver before he collapsed. The returning officers pursued the suspects, but they escaped. The two officers then returned and found Officer Herbert Marlow to be dead.

Officer Herbert Marlow is buried in Green Lawn Cemetery, Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio.

OLEM – 8S-2-3 (Hubert)   NLEOM – 19E20

March 20, 2021

Mickey Bryant Maroney - Special Agent

U.S. Secret Service

Mickey Maroney was the youngest of eleven children and was born in Wichita Falls, Texas. Maturing to six-feet five-inches in height, Mickey Maroney was recruited to the University of Arkansas football team by Assistant Coach Barry Switzer. Mickey Maroney was defense end with Arkansas when they won the National Championship in 1964.

Mickey Maroney became an agent with the U.S. Secret Service in 1970. Special Agent Mickey Maroney, 50, was killed in the bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building at 9:02 a.m. Wednesday, April 19, 1995, in Oklahoma City.

Special Agent Mickey Maroney was survived by his wife Robbie, son, daughter and stepson.

Mickey Maroney is buried in Resthaven Gardens Cemetery, Oklahoma City, Cleveland County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 2N-3-13    NLEOM – 18W20

March 22. 2021

Robert Marshal - Private

U.S. Indian Police

Private Robert Marshall may also have been commissioned as a Deputy U.S. Marshal and a member of the Creek Nation Lighhorse. Robert Marshal is described as a mixed blood Creek-Negro.

On Monday September 10, 1894, a black man named Charles Smith was in Muskogee and in the process of cutting the harnesses of some horses he intended to steal when another man, John Welch, interrupted him. Charles Smith shot and killed John Welch. Later that same day at the fairgrounds east of Muskogee, Private Robert Marshall attempted to arrest Charles Smith for John Welch’s murder when Charles Smith shot and killed Private Robert Marshall.

Charles Smith was later arrested, convicted of murder on February 20, 1895, and sentenced to death but his verdict was later reversed, and he was given a new trial. The new trial found Charles Smith guilty of manslaughter and sentenced him to ten years in prison.

The burial site of Robert Marshall is unknown.

OLEM – 4S-1-14    NLEOM – 37E18 [Marshal]

March 22, 2010

William Jessie Marshall - Guard

Oklahoma Department of Corrections

About 5 p.m. Thursday, June 15, 1911, Guard William Marshall, 30, was finishing his shift as a guard at the convict camp west of Cordell. As William Marshall descended the steps of the guard tower his revolver slipped from his hand with the gun’s hammer striking the steps underneath Marshall. The revolver discharged with the bullet passing through William Marshall’s body and coming out under the right shoulder. Guard William Marshall was transported to the Cordell hospital for treatment but died at 6 a.m. the next morning, June 16th.

William Marshall was survived by his wife and is buried in the Granite City Cemetery, Granite, Greer County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 10S-3-15   NLEOM –

March 22, 2021

Daniel Boyd Martin -Trooper

Oklahoma Highway Patrol

Trooper Daniel Martin, 46, was assigned to Troop D, Okfuskee County the afternoon of March 1, 2018, when his shift began at 2 p.m. During his shift Trooper Martin made eleven enforcement contacts and made two felony warrant arrests about 7 p.m. Trooper Martin ended his shift at 11 p.m. arriving at his residence.

At 11:40 p.m. it appeared Trooper Daniel Martin suffered a heart attack and was transported to the local hospital by ambulance. Just after midnight he was med flighted to Saint Francis Hospital in Tulsa.  Trooper Martin underwent open heart surgery. Trooper Martin was released from Saint Francis Hospital three days later and began rehab. Trooper Daniel Martin was still taking rehab on April 22nd when late that evening, he appeared to suffer another heart attack and was transported to the hospital where lifesaving procedures were not successful, and Trooper Daniel Martin was pronounced dead just after midnight the morning of April 23rd.

Trooper Daniel Martin was survived by his wife Cara and sons Nicholas and Jacob and is buried in Welty Cemetery, Welty, Okfuskee County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 10N-3-15   NLEOM – 44E31

March 22, 2021

John Thomas "Red" Martin - Night Marshal

City of Carnegie

On Tuesday night April 19, 1960, George Adkins had advised Night City Marshal John Martin, 57, that two men were burglarizing a barn on his father-in-law’s farm, two miles south of Carnegie. City Marshal John Martin and George Adkins went to the farm and found one man still in the barn. George Adkins stayed in the barn while City Marshal John Martin went to look for the second man. City Marshal John Martin observed the second man, Murbus Yarbrough, walking with a shotgun. City Marshal John Martin ordered Murbus Yarbrough to stop but Yarbrough kept walking. City Marshal Martin then fired at Murbus Yarbrough four times when Yarbrough turned and fired one shot at City Marshal John Martin striking him in the face and neck, killing him.


Night City Marshal John Martin was survived by his wife, Joy “Louise”, married daughter Addie (Reeder) and a fifteen-year-old son Alfred Lee, and is buried in Pryor Cemetery, Pittsburg County, Oklahoma.

Murbus Yarbrough pled guilty to manslaughter and was sentenced to thirty-five years in prison.

OLEM – 4N-3-12    NLEOM – 63E23

April 19, 2022

Ben Mayes - Officer

Seminole Police Department


On Sunday December 1, 1929, Officer Mayes was attempting to arrest a black man named H. L. “Sonny” Carson when Carson shot him in the leg. Although Officer Mayes’ wound was thought not to be serious, he died in a Seminole hospital on the morning of December 3rd. Officer Mayes was a black officer with extensive law enforcement experience having served as a deputy sheriff in Seminole and Okmulgee Counties before becoming a Seminole officer.Officer Ben Mayes was a black officer with extensive law enforcement experience having served as a deputy sheriff in Seminole and Okmulgee Counties before becoming a Seminole Police Officer.

On Sunday December 1, 1929, Officer Ben Mayes was attempting to arrest a black man named H. L. “Sonny” Carson when Carson resisted arrest and shot Officer Mayes in the leg. Although Officer Ben Mayes’ wound was thought not to be serious, he died in a Seminole hospital the morning of Tuesday, December 3rd.

Officer Ben Mayes’ burial site is unknown.

OLEM – 7N-2-6    NLEOM –

March 22, 2021

William “Bill” Mayes - Field Inspector

Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association

Sunday morning, May 4, 1919, Inspector William Mayes, 52, along with U.S. Bureau of Indian Affairs  Officer, William Miller went to the Kiamichi Hills near Sherwood in the northern part of McCurtain County with the purpose of raiding a moonshine still operated by West Henry. Both agents were killed from ambush when they were each shot in the back twice with a 30-30 caliber rifle and Officer William Miller was shot once in the face with a shotgun by West Henry. West Henry soon after surrendered himself to the sheriff and admitted the killings stating they were in self-defense. West Henry was acquitted of the charges at trial.


Inspector William Mayes was survived by his wife Jeanette and their two children.

Inspector William Mayes and Officer William Miller are buried in the same unmarked grave in Holly Creek Cemetery, Broken Bow, McCurtain County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 10S-1-5    NLEOM – 60W25

March 22, 2021

William R. Mayfield - Supervisor

Oklahoma State Penitentiary

Oklahoma Department Of Corrections

On Tuesday January 19, 1926, William Mayfield was supervisor for the brickyard at the State Penitentiary in McAlester. One of the prisoners in the brickyard that day was George McCall. McCall was originally sentenced to five years for burglary but in 1925 he killed his cellmate and received and additional twenty-five-year sentence.

George McCall had a plan to escape on this Tuesday. McCall threw a brick at Supervisor William Mayfield striking him in the back of the head causing a deep wound and a fractured skull. Other prison guards then shot McCall.


William Mayfield died of his head wound the next morning on Wednesday, January 20, 1926, survived by his wife and four children.

William Mayfield is buried in Mount Washington Cemetery, Lenapah, Nowata County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 10N-2-6    NLEOM – 25E11


January 20, 2021

William James “Will” McAnally - Chief of Police

Beggs Police Department

At 10:40 a.m. on Wednesday May 18, 1927, Chief William McAnally was talking to a local merchant in front of the Farmers National Bank in Beggs, when three men walked past them, got into a car, and drove off. The merchant recognized one of the men as Matt Kimes, notorious leader of a gang of bank robbers. The merchant advised Chief McAnally who quickly stepped into the bank and found it had been robbed by the three men. Chief McAnally stepped back outside and fired twice at the fleeing vehicle.


Chief William McAnally was unaware that the Kimes gang was robbing two banks in Beggs that morning. Two more carloads of gang members were just leaving the First National Bank down the street. Seeing Chief McAnally firing at their comrades in the other car, the two cars pulled up in front of Chief William McAnally and opened fire on him with automatic shotguns. With ninety-six pellets of Number Four shot in his body, Chief William McAnally died within twenty minutes.

Chief William McAnally was survived by his wife Lucious, four sons and two daughters.

William McAnally is buried in Park Grove Cemetery, Broken Arrow, Tulsa County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 8S-2-7   NLEOM – 38E17

March 25, 2021

W. W. “Bill” McCall - Deputy U. S. Marshal

U. S. Marshal

William “Bill” McCall was twenty-nine when he was appointed a Deputy U.S. Marshal in 1889 for the Eastern District of Texas in Paris, Texas. For the next three years William McCall was an efficient officer and made many arrests. In January of 1892, a group of four black men, Esau Gordon, Henderson Gordon, Nero Blue, and Washington Bruner, had been going up and down the Canadian River stealing whatever they could get their hands on. Numerous citizens were robbed, and dozens of horses stolen. Deputy Marshal William McCall was especially acquainted with gang member Esau Gordon from a previous encounter with him. The robberies occurred in the Chickasaw Nation which fell under the jurisdiction of the U. S. Marshal of the Eastern District of Texas. Several arrest warrants were issued for the gang members. Deputy Marshal William McCall along with three other deputies and two possemen soon picked up the gang’s trail.

On Friday, January 29, 1892, shortly after dark, the lawmen arrived at Caesar Bruner’s house, located five miles northwest of Seminole, outside the town of Heliswa, Deputy Marshal William MCall went to the horse lot looking for the homeowner Caesar Bruner to make arrangements to feed the officers. Deputy Marshal William McCall was surprised to see Easu Gordon and three others there with Caesar Bruner. Esau Gordon recognized the lawman, drew his guns and opened fire on the deputy marshal, who returned fire. The rest of the lawmen came running to the horse lot and opened fire on the outlaws. Deputy Marshal William McCall was wounded in the thigh by one of Easu Gordon’s bullets. Finally, the outlaws withdrew. Washington Bruner was found dead in the horse lot. Deputy Marshal William McCall was taken to the nearest doctor for treatment of his leg wound and it appeared he would survive. On Thursday, January 10, 1895, Deputy Marshal William McCall died in Allen, Indian Territory, according to medical reports, as a direct result of the leg wound sustained in the line of duty.

William McCall is buried in Allen Cemetery, Allen, Pontotoc County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 9N-3-5    NLEOM -

March 25, 2021

William L. “Bill” McClendon - Trooper

Oklahoma Highway Patrol

About 1:20 p.m. on Sunday, October 1, 2006, Trooper William McClendon, 37, was dispatched to an emergency call on the Will Rogers Turnpike near Claremore. While he was in route on the Will Rogers Turnpike, the call was canceled. Trooper William McClendon pulled to the shoulder of the turnpike in preparation for a turnaround. As Trooper McClendon attempted the turn through a concrete barrier opening his Dodge Charger patrol car was struck by an eighteen-wheel Peterbuilt tractor-trailer. Trooper William McClendon and the truck driver, Hussein Haji-ege Osman, 25, were both killed.

William McClendon had been a State Trooper for eight years and was survived by his wife Hope, and three children, Dakota, 17, Maverick, 13, and Kendra, 10.  

Trooper William McClendon is buried in Green Hill Memorial Gardens Cemetery, Sapulpa, Creek County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 9S-1-1    NLEOM – 12E25

March 25, 2021

Jeffery Matthew "Jeff"  McCoy - Probation and Parole Officer

Oklahoma Department of Corrections

On Friday, May 18, 2012, a little before noon, Probation and Parole Officer Jeffery McCoy, 32, went to the address of 1440 Maple Drive in Midwest City for an unannounced visit with one of his clients. Another man named Lester E. Kinchlon, 21, answered the door of the residence and immediately knocked Probation and Parole Officer Jeffery McCoy off the porch. The two men fought into the street where Officer Jeffery McCoy was knocked unconscious and Lester Kinchlon was able to take control of Officer McCoy’s service weapon and shot McCoy in the head killing him. When Midwest City Police arrived Lester Kinchlon fired several shots at them.

Jeffery McCoy had been a state probation and parole officer for seven years.

Jeffery McCoy was survived by his wife Megan, their son, Alex, 7, and their daughter Allie, age 4.  

Jeffery McCoy is buried in Sunset Memorial Park, Norman, Clevland County, Oklahoma.

In December 2012, Lester Kinchlon plead guilty to First Degree Murder and was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole. Lester Kinchlon also pled guilty on two weapons charges and was sentenced to another life in prison term plus ten years.

OLEM – 9S-3-9    NLEOM – 40E28

March 25. 2021

Kenneth Glenn McCullough - Special Agent

U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency

Special Agent Kenneth McCullough, 36, served in the U.S. Army for six years, 1980 to 1986, leaving at the rank of Captain. McCullough then worked for the Defense Investigative Service before becoming a U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) agent for the last five years before he was killed in the bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building at 9:02 a.m. Wednesday, April 19, 1995.

Special Agent Kenneth McCullough was survived by his wife Sharon, a son and a daughter.

Kenneth McCullough is buried in Memorial Park Cemetery, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 2N-3-10    NLEOM – 17W20

March 25, 2021


William Bartlett McDaniel - Posse, Deputy U.S. Marshal

U.S. Marshal Service

William McDaniel was born in Parke County, Indiana on December 8, 1847. William was the fourth of five sons born to Nathan and Elva (Hoggart) McDaniel.

From 1860 to 1883 William lived with his brother Clark. William McDaniel served nine months under General George Custer in the Apache War.

In the fall of 1883 William McDaniel moved to the Indian Territory where he had a large ranch about six miles northwest of Nowata and did extensive livestock business.

On Friday March 15, 1895, William McDaniel, 47, was sworn in as part of a posse formed by Deputy U.S. Marshal James Mayes to capture Bob Rogers who was wanted for cattle stealing, train robbery and murder. Deputy Marshal Mayes had located Bob Rogers at his father’s house at Horseshoe Mound in Indian Territory, twenty miles south of Coffeyville, Kansas and about three miles north of Nowata.

Early the next morning Saturday, March 16th about 4 a.m. the posse surrounded the Rogers house. Deputy Marshal Hayes along with posse William McDaniel, Phil Williams, and two other posse entered the Rogers’ house.  

Inside the house the officers met Charles Collier who was staying there. Collier advised the officers that Bob Rogers and his father were sleeping upstairs. Deputy Marshal Mayes called for the two men to come downstairs with their hands up. After a few minutes old man Rogers came down the stairs. Bob Rogers yelled to the officers to come get him. Old man Rogers was ordered to lead the officers up the stairs followed by Deputy Marshal James Mayes, Phil Williams, and William McDaniel. As the four men neared the top of the stairs Bob Rogers opened fire on them. One shot hit Posse William McDaniel in the heart killing him instantly. Another shot wounded Posse Phil Williams in the arm. Mayes and Williams retreated outside. There they ordered Bob Rogers to come out. Bob Rogers stepped out the front door, raised his rife and started firing at the officers. Bob Rogers was finally killed by the posse in the gun battle that followed in which over three-hundred rounds were fired.

Posse William McDaniel was not married so his body was sent back to his brother Clark McDaniel in Indiana for burial in Poplar Grove Cemetery, Marshal, Parke County, Indiana.

OLEM – 5N-2-24 (W C McDaniel)    NLEOM – 61W13 [W C McDaniels]

March 16, 2022

Claude H. McDonald - Special Detective


Rock Island Railroad

Claude McDonald, 30, had served as a Canadian County Deputy Sheriff and an El Reno Police Officer before becoming a Special Officer with the Rock Island Railroad. McDonald had been a Rock Island officer for seven years and was the head of their Secret Service in Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas for the past two years prior to March 25, 1911. Special Detective Claude McDonald and his cousin Charlie McCain, also a Special Officer, went to Chickasha that Saturday night, arriving about 11 p.m. to investigate a series of box car burglaries. There were four strings of box cars in the yard that night and while searching them the two officers separated so they could walk on either side of each row of cars.

The officers started off walking opposite of each other but Claude McDonald it seems fell back. About 2:15 a.m. Sunday morning Charlie McCain saw a large man walking the opposite direction on the other side of a car then moments later three-gun shots were heard. Special Detective Claude McDonald was found dead, face down with a bullet through his heart. McDonald’s gun was in his hand and had been fired once.

Claude McDonald was survived by Pearl, his wife of less than two years, and their three-month-old son, Joseph.

Claude McDonald is buried in El Reno Cemetery, El Reno, Canadian County, Oklahoma.

Two months later on Monday, May 29th a black man named Walton “Will” Roberts was caught in the act of stealing from a box car in the Chickasha railroad yards. Roberts was shot as he ran from pursuing officers and died from his wounds on June 2nd. Before he died Walton Roberts gave a full confession to killing Special Detective Claude McDonald as well as a Tyler, Texas police officer several years earlier.

OLEM – 10N-2-8    NLEOM – 23W28      

March 25, 2022

Henry McGillv- Deputy Sheriff

Tishomingo County, Chickasaw Nation, Indian Territory

On Saturday night November 3, 1883, Tishomingo County Sheriff Jep Fry and Deputy Sheriff Henry McGill were attempting to arrest Edmiston Parker, who was drunk and firing his gun, when Edmiston Parker shot Deputy Sheriff Henry McGill. Edmiston Parker then emptied his gun shooting at Sheriff Jep Fry who was able to escape unharmed. Edmiston Parker then took the wounded Deputy Sheriff Henry McGill’s gun and shot McGill three more times, killing him. Edmiston Parker then fell to his knees beside Deputy Sheriff McGill’s body and committed suicide by shooting himself in the head with the deputy sheriff’s gun.

The burial site of Deputy Sheriff Henry McGill is unknown.

OLEM – 10S-2-2     NLEOM – 57E18

March 25, 2021

Andrew Madison McGinnisv- Special  Deputy Sheriff

Muskogee County Sheriff's Office

Around dusk on Sunday September 18, 1932, Deputy Sheriff Andrew McGinnis was a member of a posse that had trapped Tom Carlisle and Troy Love, the two remaining fugitives wanted for a murder a few weeks earlier and the killing of Deputy Sheriff Webster Reece the day before.

The two fugitives were in some woods south of Tahlequah. The two men started firing at the posse. Deputy Sheriff Andrew McGinnis and Rogers County Deputy Sheriff J. Hurt Flippin charged at the fugitives and were shot down. The rest of the posse then shot and killed the two fugitives. Deputy Sheriff Andrew McGinnis was dead at the scene and Deputy Sheriff J. Hurt Flippin died the next morning, September 19th.

Andrew McGinnis was survived by his wife Myrtle and five children and is buried in Oktaha Cemetery, Oktaha, Muskogee County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 8S-5-7    NLEOM – 54W23

September 12, 2021

John Lee McHenry – Deputy U. S. Marshal

U. S. Marshal Service

On Christmas Day 1896 Lem Young and one of the Lauderdale brothers, either Tom or Mose, got in a fight in the cabin the two men shared on Blue River, about thirty miles east of Caddo in the Choctaw Nation. During the fight Lem Young pulled a gun on Lauderdale. Later that day Lem Young gave himself up to Deputy U.S. Marshal C. R. V. Hamilton.

The next day, December 26, 1895, Deputy Marshal Hamilton and his posse John Slaughter went to the cabin with Lem Young to collect witnesses and take them and Young before the Commissioner in Atoka for a preliminary examining trial.


Deputy Marshal John McHenry had a warrant for Lem Young for larceny of hogs and learned that Deputy Marshal Hamilton, had arrested Lem Young and was at the cabin on Blue River. Deputy McHenry had killed Lem Young’s brother several months before.

Deputy John McHenry with his posse went to the cabin and demanded that Deputy Marshal Hamilton turn Lem Young over to him. Deputy Marshal Hamilton told Deputy Marshal John McHenry he would not relinquish Lem Young even though McHenry held an arrest warrant. It is unknown who drew first, but a gun battle followed during which Deputy Marshal John McHenry and Lem Young were killed.

Murder warrants were issued for all eight men involved in the gun battle. The six charged with killing Lem Young were Sam McHenry, Jimmie Jones, Tom and Mose Lauderdale, Frank McGahey, and Jim Bowlin. Charged with killing Deputy Marshal John McHenry was Deputy C. R. V. Hamilton and his posse John Slaughter.

On Thursday, January 2, 1896, an examination was conducted before the U.S. Commissioner in Paris, Texas. After hearing the evidence, the U.S. Commissioner bound Sam McHenry over for trial and released the other five men charged with killing Lem Young.

Deputy Marshal C. R. V. Hamilton and his pose John Slaughter were remanded to jail without bond.

Later in January, another hearing was conducted, and bail was set at $5,000 for Sam McHenry, which was soon posted by his friends, and he was released. Bail again was refused for C. R. V. Hamilton and John Slaughter.

It appears from a newspaper article that all three men were acquitted in later trials but actual trial disposition of the murder cases against, Sam McHenry, C. R. V. Hamilton and John Slaughter are unknown as no record can be found of further action by the courts due to a large fire on March 21, 1916, which destroyed almost half of the Paris, Texas business district including the federal courthouse and newspaper offices.

 On Saturday, March 28, 1896, the two-year-old child of Deputy Marshal John McHenry was killed when it accidentally fell out of a buggy in Denison, Texas and broke its neck.

The burial site of Deputy U.S. Marshal John McHenry or his child are unknown.

OLEM – 1N-3-12    NLEOM – 48W4

December 26, 2021

Herbert “Heavy Duty” McIntosh, Jr. -  Corporal

McAlester Police Department

About 6:00 a.m. the morning of Wednesday, May 9, 1984, Corporal Herbert McIntosh was finishing his 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. “Hoot Shift” when he met his shift Captain, William D. Faries, at the police station and asked if he could ride with him the remainder of the shift. This was not an uncommon reque

Captain William Faries and Corporal Herbert McIntosh left the station to patrol the streets a little longer before getting off shift. A few minutes after leaving the police station Captain Faries heard Herbert McIntosh make a sound like a snore. Captain Faries joked about Herbert McIntosh sleeping and when Captain Faries touched Corporal McIntosh’s arm to shake him, Faries felt that McIntosh was warm and clammy. Corporal Herbert McIntosh then fell over against Captain William Faries’ right shoulder. Captain Faries immediately proceeded to the hospital where Corporal Herbert McIntosh was pronounced dead of a heart attack minutes later.

Herbert McIntosh, Jr. had been a McAlester Police Officer for almost eleven years and was a popular officer especially with the youth of the city whom he worked with off duty.

Corporal Herbert McIntosh was survived by his wife Mary, 3 sons and a daughter.

Herbert McIntosh, Jr. is buried in Oak Hill Memorial Park, McAlester, Pittsburg County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 10N-1-2    NLEOM – – – –

March 25, 2021

Mose McIntosh – Posse, Deputy U. S. Marshal / Officer

U. S. Marshal  / Creek Nation Lighthorse

On Friday morning, November 9, 1888 Deputy Marshal Mose McIntosh, a Creek Indian, was a member of a large posse that had divided up into three groups to check houses for the outlaw Wesley Barnett and his gang.

As the posse, of which Mose McIntosh was a member, approached the house of Abe Carr, north of Okmulgee, gunfire erupted from the house. Posse Mose McIntosh was shot from his horse and died. Two other possemen were also wounded. The gun battle lasted into the night. The next morning the posse found the outlaws had escaped.

Posse Mose McIntosh was also a member of the Creek Lighthorse.

The burial site of Deputy U.S. Marshal Posse Mose McIntosh is unknown.

Two months later outlaw Wesley Barnett was shot and killed by Deputy U. S. Marshal, Wallace McNac.

OLEM - 9N-3-13    NLEOM – 36W11

March 25, 2021

Abner David McLellan - Deputy U.S. Marshal

U.S. Marshal

Abner David McLellan was the youngest of seven children born to Franklin and Dortha (Foster) McLellan. Abner was born in Abenezer, Jackson Parish, Louisiana about 1866. Abner married Susan Emily Black on February 10, 1892, in Caddo in Indian Territory.

The evening of Friday, July 20, 1894, Deputy Marshal Abner McLellan along with his Posse Jack Basie attempted to arrest Gerald Bryant, 19, and Jim Dice for stealing corn from John Hester’s farm, about ten miles west of Caddo in the Choctaw Nation. As Gerald Bryant and Jim Dice were leaving the Hester farm cornfield with several bags of corn, Deputy Marshal McLellan and his Posse Basie stepped out of their concealment and ordered the men to raise their hands and surrender. Instead, Gerald Bryant opened fire with his Colt .45 caliber revolver. Deputy Marshal Abner McLellan was hit fatally in the right shoulder by one of the shots, the bullet passing through his body and exiting his left side.

Gerald Bryant escaped to the Bradburn farm about six miles away. Jim Dice was taken into custody by a five member citizens posse, and he advised them where Gerald Bryant could be found. The next morning at daybreak the posse surrounded Bradburn’s house and ordered him to come out. Bradburn came out and advised the posse that he had not seen Gerald Bryant. The citizens posse then entered the Bradburn house as Gerald Bryant ran out the back of the house toward his horse. The citizens ordered Bryant to stop. Again, Gerald Bryant went for his .45 revolver, but Gerald Bryant and his horse were shot and killed by the posse of citizens.

Deputy U.S. Marshals from Paris, Texas investigated the shooting and found that the five citizens had no authority to arrest Gerald Bryant and arrested all five of the men for manslaughter. All five men were convicted of manslaughter and sentenced to prison.   

Deputy Marshal Abner McLellan was survived by his wife “Susie”, a six-month-old son Frank Black born December 25, 1893, and a soon to be born daughter, Abner David “Abbie” McLellan who was born February 2, 1895, six months after her father died.  

Abner McLellan is buried in an unmarked grave in the old section of Caddo Cemetery, Caddo, Bryan County, Oklahoma but his exact grave location is unknown.

OLEM – 3S-1-6    NLEOM – 27W14

July 21, 2021

John McWeir - Deputy U.S. Marshal

U.S. Marshal

Deputy U.S. Marshals John McWeir and J. H Wilkinson along with a cook, who doubled as a guard, were transporting a Creek Indian named Johnson Foster from the Fort Reno guardhouse to Fort Smith for trial on a charge of murder that occurred in the Pottawatomie Nation, which did not have a judicial system.

On Monday, July 2, 1883, the group made camp near the Osage Agency at Pawhuska. Deputy Marshal J. H. Wilkinson and the guard went to the agency to pick up other prisoners leaving Deputy Marshal John McWeir with the prisoner Johnson Foster. When Deputy Marshal Wilkinson and the guard returned to the camp later that day with the additional prisoners, they found Deputy Marshal John McWeir dead from several gunshot wounds and his head almost severed by an axe. Johnson Foster was missing along with Deputy Marshal McWeir’s guns and all the ammunition in camp.

The burial site of Deputy U.S. Marshal John McWeir is unknown.

Johnson Foster was shot and killed a few weeks later by friends of two brothers he had robbed and killed.

OLEM – 9N-2-8    NLEOM – 60W11

March 25, 2021

William Charles Meachum - Detective

Tulsa Police Department

On Tuesday, June 1, 1920, about 6 p.m. Detective William Meachum was advised by one of his informants where a fugitive named George H. Smith might be located. Detective Meachum located George Smith about 7 p.m. in downtown Tulsa and arrested him. Detective Meachum searched Smith and removed a gun. Detective Meachum then went to a call box with his prisoner Smith and while calling in for transportation, George Smith shot Detective Meachum three times with a second gun that Detective Meachum missed in his search.

George Smith escaped, and Detective William Meachum died a week later at 8 a.m. the morning of Tuesday, June 8th.

George Smith was killed in a shootout with police officers in Kansas City, Missouri on June 19th.

Detective William Meachum had turned in his resignation papers with the Tulsa Police Department at noon the day he was shot to become the City Marshal of Bigheart.

William Meachum was survived by his wife Mary and six children, three sons and three daughters, the oldest being 15-year-old son Lonnie.

Detective William Meachum is buried in Oaklawn Cemetery, Batesville, Independence County, Arkansas.

OLEM – 8S-2-18 (Meacham)    NLEOM – 51E11 [Meachem]   

April 6, 2021

Claude Arthur Medearis - Senior Special Agent in Charge

U.S. Customs Service

Senior Special Agent Claude Medearis, 41, was transferred to the Oklahoma City U.S. Customs field office in 1992, from Texas where he had served as a U.S. Customs Agent along the Texas-Mexico border between Eagle Pass and Del Rio, Texas.

Agent Claude Medearis was promoted to Senior Special Agent in Charge of the Oklahoma City U.S. Customs office shortly before his death in the bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building at 9:02 a.m. the morning of Wednesday, April 19, 1995.


Senior Special Agent Claude Medearis was survived by his wife Sharon, son Michael, daughter Catherine and four grandchildren.

Claude Medearis’ earthly remains were cremated.

OLEM – 2N-3-16    NLEOM – 37W20

April 6, 2021

Melvin Cleo Meeks - Deputy Sheriff

Washita County Sheriff’s Office

Deputy Sheriff Cleo Meeks, 54, had been a Washita County Deputy Sheriff almost twelve years on Saturday, October 21, 1967. About 8 p.m. that evening Deputy Sheriff Cleo Meeks was assisting Kiowa County Deputy Sheriff Virgil Weitner in serving an arrest warrant on Michael Caldwell, 19, in Hobart in Kiowa County, for a burglary in Washita County. As the two deputy sheriffs approached the Caldwell house the young man’s father, Sid Caldwell, opened fire on the deputies, wounding both.  Deputy Sheriff Cleo Meeks was shot in the head and chest. Young Michael Caldwell dragged the wounded deputies to safety and called police and medical assistance, but Deputy Sheriff Cleo Meeks died before help could arrive.

Deputy Sheriff Virgil Weitner survived his wounds.

Deputy Sheriff Cleo Meeks was survived by his wife Glennis and three adult daughters and is buried in Lawnview Cemetery, Cordell, Washita County, Oklahoma.

Sid Caldwell was arrested for Deputy Sheriff Cleo Meek’s murder, tried, convicted, and sentenced to life in prison.

OLEM – 7N-5-18    NLEOM – 5E12

April 6, 2021

Adam Michael Mehagan - Deputy Sheriff

Osage County Sheriffs Office

At 11:30 p.m. the night of Wednesday, December 2, 2009, Deputy Sheriff Adam Mehagan, 25, received a call to back another Deputy Sheriff on a burglary in progress call. At 11:50 p.m. the assigned Deputy Sheriff advised that his back up unit could disregard (10-22) as everything was ok at the scene. Dispatcher tried to advise Deputy Sheriff Adam Mehagan but could get no response. Shorty after midnight other units started looking for Deputy Sheriff Adam Mehagan. Deputy Sheriff Adam Mehagan and his county unit were located about 12:10 a.m. Deputy Sheriff Mehagan had failed to negotiate an S curve while north bound on County Road 1475 a mile south of County Road 1401 and one and a half miles north of Prue in the far southern part of Osage County. Deputy Sheriff Adam Mehagan’s 2006 Ford Crown Victoria squad car had rolled twice ejecting him. Deputy Sheriff Adam Mehagan died at the scene shortly before midnight from his injuries.

Deputy Sheriff Adam Mehagan had been an Osage County Deputy Sheriff for nine months and had served with the Pawhuska Police Department and Washington County Sheriff’s Office prior to going to work for Osage County.

Deputy Sheriff Adam Mehagan was survived by his wife Amber and eleven-month-old daughter Lena Rea.

Deputy Sheriff Adam Mehagan is buried at Memorial Park Cemetery, Bartlesville, Washington County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 9S-2-9    NLEOM – 59W27

April 6, 2021

Guy Mercer - Sheriff

Texas County Sheriffs Office

On Thursday afternoon, December 9, 1948, Sheriff Guy Mercer was transporting a prisoner, J. L. Morris, from Tahoka, Texas back to Texas County in the Oklahoma Panhandle when they were involved in a head-on collision south of Amarillo, Texas. The prisoner J. L. Morris died shortly after the vehicle crash. Sheriff Guy Mercer, 50, died two days later the evening of Saturday, December 11th from his injuries.

Guy Mercer had served four years as Chief of Police of Hooker before being elected Texas County Sheriff. Sheriff Guy Mercer had been defeated in his bid for re-election and had twenty-two more days to serve as Sheriff.

Sheriff Guy Mercer was survived by his wife Zephry and a son Richard and is buried in Hooker Cemetery, Hooker, Texas County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 1N-1-11    NLEOM – 45W24

April 6, 2021

Lewis Merritt, Posseman - Deputy U.S. Marshal

U.S. Marshal

By 1883 Addison Beck had been a Deputy U.S. Marshal working out of the Fort Smith court for eight years and promised his wife he would find a safer occupation after one more trip to the Indian Territory. During that last trip Deputy U.S. Marshal Addison Beck and his posse Lewis Merritt were looking for John Bart (or Bark) for whiskey violations.

About 11 a.m. on Thursday, September 27, 1883, the officers located John Bart working in a corn field with Johnson Jacks near Big Vienne, east of Webbers Falls and about forty miles from Fort Smith. As the two federal officers approached the men a gun battle broke out and Deputy U.S. Marshal Addison Beck was shot in the head and killed instantly. Posse Lewis Merritt was wounded in the chest and head and was still alive when a wounded Johnson Jacks approached Posse Lewis Merritt and shot him several more times before beating his head in with a gun.

Posse Lewis Merritt is buried next to Deputy U.S. Marshal Addison Beck in Oak Cemetery, Fort Smith, Sebastian County, Arkansas.

OLEM – 5N-1-10   NLEOM – 48W11

April 6, 2021

Donald Heath Meyer – Lieutenant

Oklahoma Highway Patrol

About 10:20 p.m. the night of Friday, July14, 2017, Lieutenant “Heath” Meyer, 43, responded to a high-speed pursuit coming north on Interstate-35 from Norman. Lieutenant Meyer had just laid stop sticks out on the north bound lanes of I-35 near North 27th Street in Moore when the fleeing vehicle, being pursued by State Troopers Rodney Rideaux and Clint Painter, tried to avoid the stop sticks. The pursuing troopers also attempted to avoid the stop sticks but their Oklahoma Highway Patrol units struck one another. Trooper Painter's vehicle went off the roadway and struck Lieutenant “Heath” Meyer, critically injuring him. Lieutenant Meyer was transported to the OU Medical Center in Oklahoma City where he died from his injuries the evening of Monday, July 24, 2017.

Lieutenant Donald “Heath” Meyer, a twelve-year veteran of the highway patrol, was survived by his wife Melissa “Missy” and daughters, Isabelle, and Lily.

Lieutenant Donald “Heath” Meyer is buried in Sunset Memorial Park Cemetery, Norman, Cleveland County, Oklahoma.

The driver of the fleeing vehicle, Dangelo Ladon Burgess, 28, was taken into custody shortly after Lieutenant Meyer was struck and injured. Dangelo Burgess was tried, found guilty of first-degree murder, and sentenced to life in prison.

OLEM – 10S-2-14    NLEOM – 48E30

April 6, 2021

John "Two Guns" Middleton - Deputy Sheriff

Kay County Sheriffs Office

About noon on Saturday, July 21, 1923, Deputy Sheriffs John “Two Gun” Middleton, 35, and George “Hookey” Miller went into a cafe in Three Sands. Seated at the counter of the café was Jackson Burns whom had been handled recently by both deputies. When Jackson Burns saw the two deputies enter the café, he began shooting at them with his .45 caliber revolver. Neither deputy had time to draw their weapons. Deputy Sheriff George Miller was hit three times, collapsed, and died on the way to the hospital. Deputy Sheriff John Middleton was also hit three times and died the next day, Sunday, July 22nd.

The burial site of John Middleton is unknown.

Jackson Burns was later tried and acquitted of killing Deputy Sheriff John Middleton and was never tried afterwards for the killing of Deputy Sheriff George Miller.

OLEM – 8S-2-15             NLEOM – 52E22

April 10, 2021

Oscar Mathew Milhollan – Detective

Oklahoma City Police Department

Oscar Milhollan was born in Missouri January 27, 1875, to Joseph C and Sarah F Anglin Milhollan. Oscar Milhollan moved to Oklahoma City in 1903 where he became a printer for The Daily Oklahoman newspaper. In 1920 he moved to Yukon and for six months was the editor and publisher of The Yukon Sun.

When Otto A. Cargill became Mayor of Oklahoma City in April 1923, Oscar Milhollan was appointed Desk Sergeant for the Oklahoma City Police Department. Milhollan later transferred to plain clothes detective.

The afternoon of Thursday, January 24, 1924, Detective Oscar Milhollan collapsed in the police station. His condition was diagnosed as a “stroke of paralysis”, probably a cerebral hemorrhage. Detective Milhollan was taken to his home at 208 East 16th Street where he died at 1:45 a.m. the morning of Saturday, January 26, at the age of forty-eight years old.

Oscar Milhollan was survived by his wife Lorena and is buried in Fairlawn Cemetery, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma County, Oklahoma.

Oscar Milhollan’s name was probably included on the original Oklahoma Peace Officers Memorial (now the Oklahoma Law Enforcement Memorial) due to a page in the 1929 Oklahoma City Police Department Annual that listed fourteen officers whose families had collected on a $1,000 police insurance policy provided by an association of Oklahoma City Police officers for officers who died while on duty, even though they did not die in the line of duty. The 1929 Annual noted that six of the fourteen officer’s deaths “were due directly to the nature of their work.” By today’s standards, only two of the six officers, Briggs Chumley and A. L. Walton, meets the commonly accepted standards for a line of duty death. Nevertheless, the other four officers’ names were also engraved on the state’s Peace Officers Memorial when it was built in 1969. The other four officers are M. C. Hiatt, O. M. Milhollan, M. E. Shelton and W. M. Slaton.



OLEM – 8S-3-3 (O. M. Milhollan)

George Daniel "Hookey" Miller - Deputy Sheriff

Kay County Sheriffs Office

About noon on Saturday, July 21, 1923, Deputy Sheriffs George “Hookey” Miller, 55, and John “Two Gun” Middleton went into a cafe in Three Sands. Seated at the counter of the café was Jackson Burns whom had been handled recently by both officers. When Jackson Burns saw the deputies enter the café he began shooting at them with his .45 caliber revolver. Neither deputy had time to draw their weapons. Deputy Sheriff George Miller was hit three times, collapsed, and died on the way to the hospital.

Deputy Sheriff John Middleton was also hit three times and died the next day.


George Miller was survived by his two sons, George D., Jr. and J. E. “Ed”.

George Miller is buried in Rose Hill Burial Park, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma County, Oklahoma.

Jackson Burns was later acquitted of killing Deputy Sheriff John Middleton and was never tried afterwards for the killing of Deputy Sheriff George Miller.

OLEM – 8S-3-5    NLEOM – 1W23

April 10, 2021

Henry Miller, Guard - Deputy U.S. Marshal

U.S. Marshal

About 3 p.m. on Friday, April 9, 1886, Deputy U.S. Marshal Guard Henry Miller,19, was one of a group of deputies who made camp near Flatwoods in the Cherokee Nation, about twenty-two miles from Fort Smith, Arkansas. The deputies were taking a Cherokee Indian outlaw named Big Chewey to Fort Smith for trial. Guard Henry Miller was left with the prisoner for a couple hours while the other deputies were away on business. When the other deputies returned, they found Guard Henry Miller dead. It appeared Miller’s head had been crushed from behind by an axe found lying next to him. The prisoner was trailed and recaptured about a mile from the camp. Apparently, Big Chewey was later tried in a Cherokee court and acquitted of the murder.

Henry Miller was survived by his parents and is buried in West Cemetery, Strang, Mayes County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 4N-1-13    NLEOM – 43E6

April 9, 2021

Kenneth Ellsworth Miller - Undersheriff

Beaver County Sheriffs Office

Shortly after midnight on Saturday, December 10, 1977, Undersheriff Kenneth Miller was notified of two men trying to stop traffic. Undersheriff Miller and a friend, Danny Cambern, went to investigate.


The dispatcher was unable to make radio contact and sent other units to search for them. About half an hour later, they found Undersheriff Kenneth Miller and Danny Cambern north of Turpin on Highway 83 lying dead in a ditch. Both men had been shot in the head with a .22 caliber pistol. Undersheriff Kenneth Miller’s patrol car was missing, and a stolen station wagon was left nearby.


The suspects were two men, James E. Lewis and David Richardson, who had escaped from the Wagoner County jail two weeks earlier. The suspects were arrested later in Utah after a high-speed chase.

Undersheriff Kenneth Miller was survived by his wife and is buried in the Beaver Pioneer Cemetery, Beaver, Beaver County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 1N-3-22   NLEOM – 51E7

April 10, 2021

Lucky Christian Miller - Chief

Mannford Police Department

Lucky Miller, 44, had been the Chief of Police at Mannford since 2007.

Chief Lucky Miller and Mannford Detective Michael Nealey, 49, were in Pensacola Beach, Florida the weekend of November 9, 2019, to attend a conference on death scene investigations starting Monday.

About 9:50 p.m. Sunday, November 10th police were called to the hotel room of Chief Lucky Miller and Detective Michael Nealey at the Hilton Hotel in Pensacola Beach after hotel security had received complaints of a loud disturbance in their room earlier. Escambia County Sheriff’s Office deputies responded to the call. Deputies found Chief Lucky Miller dead with his face beaten and his eyes swollen. Detective Michael Nealey was found lying across the room from Chief Miller mumbling, his right hand swollen and red. Detective Michael Nealey was charged with second degree murder.

Chief Lucky Miller was survived by his wife Amber and their children, sons Kale, 18, Logan, 16, and daughter Carly, 10.

Lucky Miller is buried in the Stroud Cemetery, Stroud, Lincoln County, Oklahoma.

In March 2021, Michael Nealey was found guilty of Manslaughter in the death of Chief Lucky Miller.

OLEM – 10S-3-16   NLEOM –

April 12, 2021

Michael Grant Miller - Agent

U.S. Bureau of Indian Affairs

On Monday August 28, 1995, BIA Drug Enforcement Agent Michael Miller, 34, was a member of a multi-agency drug task force targeting marijuana growers and traffickers in the Tulsa/Bixby area of the state. Agent Michael Miller was an observer in an Oklahoma National Guard helicopter flown by Chief Warrant Officer Dennis Laffick, 49. The helicopter was one of two being used that day to conduct airborne searches for marijuana fields and suspects.

About 2:30 p.m. that Monday afternoon their helicopter struck some power lines and crashed instantly killing both Agent Michael Miller and pilot Dennis Laffick.

Agent Michael Miller was survived by his wife, Gerri, and their five children and is buried in Mount Scott Cemetery, Meers, Comanche County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 4S-1-11    NLEOM – 16W20

April 10, 2021

Nimrod Johnson Miller - Sheriff

Burnet County Sheriff's Office (Texas)

In late August of 1881 Sheriff Nimrod Miller, 37, left Burnet County, Texas for Pauls Valley in the Indian Territory (I.T.) in search of a man named W. P. Brown who was wanted for a murder that occurred in Burnet County in February 1876. Sheriff Nimrod Miller was last seen on Thursday, September 1, 1881, in Dennison and Sherman, Texas area headed to the Indian Territory. Shortly after that reports of the death of Sheriff Nimrod Miller in the Indian Territory were received but Miller’s body and the circumstances of his death were never found.

In August of 1882, there was an unsubstantiated report of a man named Sam Paul, who was in the Ft. Smith jail, stating that he witnessed the killing of a Sheriff Nimrod Miller in Chickasaw County (I.T.) by a Sam S. Wood.

Sheriff Nimrod Miller was survived by his wife Pollie and seven children.

The burial site of Sheriff Nimrod Miller is unknown.

OLEM – 4N-2-10         NLEOM – 35W23

April 10, 2021

William “Will” Miller - Officer

Bureau of Indian Affairs.

U.S. Department of the Interior

Sunday morning, May 4, 1919, Officer William Miller along with Agent Will Mayes, Field Inspector for the Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association, went to the Kiamichi Hills near Sherwood in the northern part of McCurtain County with the purpose of raiding a moonshine still operated by a man named West Henry.

Both officers were killed from ambush when they were each shot in the back twice with a 30-30 caliber rifle and Officer William Miller was also shot once in the face with a shotgun by West Henry. Officer William Miller apparently was able to turn and fire one shot from his revolver before being shot in the face.

West Henry soon after surrendered himself to the county sheriff and admitted the killings but stated it was self-defense. West Henry was acquitted at trial of the murders of both officers.


Officer William Miller was survived by his wife.

Officer William Miller and Inspector Wil Mayes are buried together in an unmarked grave in Holly Creek Cemetery, Broken Bow, McCurtain County, Oklahoma.

OLEM –             NLEOM –

April 10, 2021

Benjamin F. Milligan - Deputy Sheriff

Cimarron County Sheriff's Office

About 11:30 a.m. on Thursday, January 7, 1909, Deputy Sheriff Benjamin Milligan, 60, arrested Ezra Revis in a feed yard in Boise City to return him to Dalhart, Texas where he had jumped bond. Ezra Revis asked Deputy Sheriff Milliagan if he could use the restroom before leaving the feed yard. Deputy Sheriff Milligan allowed Revis to go and waited outside for him. When Ezra Revis came out of the restroom, he had a pistol and shot Deputy Sheriff Benjamin Milligan in the side with the bullet piercing his heart and killing him. Ezra Revis then stole a nearby horse and rode west out of town never to be seen again.

Deputy Sheriff Benjamin Milligan was survived by his wife, two sons, a daughter, eight grandchildren and one great-grandchild.

Benjamin Milligan is buried in Boise City Cemetery, Boise City, Cimarron County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 9N-2-10    NLEOM – 29W25

April 10, 2021

Eugene Henry Mills - Patrolman

Oklahoma City Police Department

About 4 a.m. the morning of Thursday, December 11, 1954, Officer Eugene Mills, 25, and his partner Officer Kenneth Dunlap responded to a drunken domestic disturbance in the 3200 block of North Shartel. The officers found two men, Billy D. Spradlin and John C. Copeland, fighting with their wives. The officers eventually arrested the two men. Billy Spradlin began fighting with Officer Eugene Mills and got possession of Mills’ gun. Officer Kenneth Dunlap leaned over his partner and Billy Spradlin as they wrestled on the ground and pointed his gun at Spradlin who slapped it, causing it to discharge. Officer Eugene Mills was struck in the left chest by the bullet and died.

Officer Eugene Mills was survived by his wife Cletus and three young daughters and is buried in Sunnylane Cemetery, Del City, Oklahoma County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 7N-4-12    NLEOM – 37W7

April 10, 2021

Thomas Ernest Milstead - Humane Officer

Tulsa Police Department Dog Pound

On Wednesday, May 11, 1960, Edward Schoonover went to the Tulsa Dog Pound to pick up a dog for a friend. Officer Thomas Milstead, 60, advised him that he could not pick the dog up until the next day. Edward Schoonover left after a heated argument, went home, got a gun, returned, and shot Officer Thomas Milstead. Officer Thomas Milstead’s spine was severed by the bullet and died Wednesday, November 30, 1960, from his wound.

Officer Thomas Milstead was survived by his wife Ethel and is buried in Hampton Cemetery, Edhube, Fannin County, Texas.

Edward Schoonover was found mentally incompetent to stand trial and was admitted to Eastern State Mental Hospital.

OLEM – 7N-4-17    NLEOM – 37W15

April 10, 2021

Melvin Oliver Miner - Officer

Norman Police Department

On Sunday evening about 8 p.m., July 30, 1972, Norman police officers chased Orben Gill, Jr. to a mobile home park near Stubbeman Avenue. Orben Gill had just shot and killed his parents east of Noble. Orben Gill opened fire with a shotgun on the approaching officers.

Officer Robert Brown was wounded in the arm and Officer Melvin Miner, 25, was struck in the head and died just after midnight the next morning, July 31st, at St Anthony Hospital in Oklahoma City.

Melvin Miner had only been a Norman officer seven months and was survived by his wife Raetta and 3-year-old son Corey Lane.

Officer Melvin Miner is buried in Red Rock Cemetery, Red Rock, Noble County, Oklahoma.

Orben Gill was sentenced to life in prison for all three murders.

Twenty-two years after his father’s death Corey Miner would become an Officer with the Norman Police Department, later he became an Oklahoma Highway Patrol Trooper, then later would become an Assistance District Attorney.

OLEM – 1N-2-26    NLEOM – 38W7

April 15, 2021

Charles Nicholas "Nick" Mitchell - Deputy Sheriff

Mayes County Sheriffs Office

Just before 8 p.m. Christmas Eve of 1908, Deputy Sheriff Charles Mitchell was attending a Christmas program at the Hogan Institute, fifteen miles southeast of Pryor and had gone outside to quite a disturbance. Soon several shots were heard, and several people came out to find Deputy Sheriff Charles Mitchell dead from three gunshot wounds, one being to the head. Three brothers named Frye were later arrested and charged with Deputy Sheriff Charles Mitchell’s murder.

Deputy Charles Mitchell was survived by his wife Susan and is buried in Hogan Cemetery, Locust Grove, Mayes County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 4S-1-22    NLEOM – 63E21

April 15, 2021

Lawrence Brandon Mitchell - Detective

Tulsa Police Department

Just after 11:30 p.m. the night of Sunday, July 22, 1934, Detective Lawrence Mitchell and his partner, W. L. Martin, were checking a report of a suspicious person in a car near a drug store at Latimer and Main Streets. As the two detectives approached the car, the car’s occupant, James Hargus opened fire on the officers. Detective Lawrence Mitchell was hit twice, one shot being to his heart, and he soon died at the scene. Detective W. L. Martin was also wounded but was able to wound James Hargus four times. Both Detective W. L. Martin and James Hargus survived their gunshot wounds.

Lawrence Mitchell is buried in Rose Hill Memorial Park, Tulsa, Tulsa County, Oklahoma.

James Hargus was found guilty of Detective Lawrence Mitchell’s murder, sentenced to death, and died in the state’s electric chair on April 24, 1936.

OLEM – 8S-4-13   NLEOM – 45W9

April 15, 2021

Lem E. Mitchell, - Sheriff

Pontotoc County Sheriff's Office

Lem Mitchell had served as a Deputy U.S. Marshal in Oklahoma Territory and as City Marshal of Ada prior to being elected to two terms as Sheriff of Pontotoc County.

Just before noon on Tuesday, February 10, 1914, Sheriff Lem Mitchell was returning to Ada by train from taking some prisoners to the state prison in McAlester. Close connections were necessary at Tupelo. Sheriff Lem Mitchell’s connecting train was already starting to move out when Sheriff Mitchell arrived at the station. Sheriff Lem Mitchell attempted to board the moving train, but his foot slipped, and Sheriff Mitchell was thrown beneath the moving passenger car, crushing his left leg just above the ankle. A local doctor tried to save Mitchell’s life by amputating his leg, but Sheriff Lem Mitchell died about 6 p.m. that evening.

Sheriff Lem Mitchell was survived by his wife Alice and daughter Bonnie and is buried in Rosedale Cemetery, Ada, Pontotoc County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 9N-3-12   NLEOM – 53E25

February 10, 2022

Z  William “Bill” Moody- Deputy U S Marshal

U.S. Marshal

About 11 a.m. on Friday, March 15, 1889, Deputy Marshals “Bill” Moody, Bob Dalton, and a posse rode out to the Berryhill home near the Arkansas River ten miles northwest of Tulsa to serve an arrest warrant for murder on Jess Berryhill. As the officers approached the Berryhill house they were fired upon by an Indian named William Bruner. Deputy Marshal “Bill” Moody was shot in the chest near the heart and Deputy Marshal Bob Dalton was wounded in one arm. Deputy Marshal “Bill” Moody was able to ride about twenty yards, dismount and take cover before dying next to Deputy Marshal Bob Dalton who had taken cover with him. When Deputy Marshal Bob Dalton and the posse threatened to burn the house down the men inside came out and surrendered.

Deputy Marshal “Bill” Moody was buried the next day in Tulsa the exact location of his grave is unknown.

Jess Berryhill was later acquitted, and William Bruner was sentenced to ten years in prison.

Bob Dalton’s brother Frank was killed in the line of duty as a Deputy U.S. Marshal two years earlier. Bob Dalton would later turn outlaw with his other brothers.  

OLEM – 5N-3-7 (W A)    NLEOM – 61W13

March 14, 2021

Eugene Williams Mooney - Sheriff

Baxter County, Arkansas

On Saturday, October 5, 1907, Sheriff Eugene Mooney, 33, and his cousin Deputy Sheriff J. H. Conley were transporting an escaped prisoner named Will Estes by train from New Mexico back to Baxter County, Arkansas to face a charge of burglary. Sheriff Eugene Mooney had spent the previous night with his brother Doctor Jesse Mooney in McLoud, I.T.

The two officers and their prisoner were seated at the front of the passenger coach car they were riding in. Their prisoner, Will Estes, was seated next to the window handcuffed to an iron pipe attached to the wall of the train. Sheriff Eugene Mooney was seated next to him on his left in the aisle seat, facing the coach door. The seat facing them was vacant. Deputy Sheriff Conley was seated directly behind the prisoner to keep an eye on the other passengers.

About 12:30 p.m. as the train was pulling into Holdenville, I.T.  Sheriff Eugene Mooney leaned out the window next to the vacant seats to look around. In doing so Sheriff Mooney’s Colt .44 caliber revolver fell from his pocket and discharged as it hit the floor of the train. The bullet struck Sheriff Eugene Mooney just above the heart and lodged in his right shoulder. Deputy Sheriff J. H. Conley and the prisoner tried to help Sheriff Money.

Sheriff Mooney’s brother, Doctor Jesse Mooney, was sent for but by the time he arrived in Holdenville about 8 p.m. that night Sheriff Eugene Mooney was already dead.

Sheriff Eugene Mooney was survived by his wife Malinda and their eight children and is buried in Gassville Cemetery, Gassville, Baxter County, Arkansas.

OLEM – 5N-3-24   NLEOM – 39E13

April 15, 2021

Eugene Clyde Moore - Deputy Sheriff

Atoka County Sheriffs Office


The evening of Friday, August 5, 1932, Deputy Sheriff Eugene Moore and Sheriff C. G. Maxwell were at a dance in Stringtown, six miles north of Atoka, to keep the peace. Soon the officers noticed two men drinking in a parked car. As the officers approached the car the occupants, Clyde Barrow, Everett Milligan, and Raymond Hamilton, opened fire killing Deputy Sheriff Eugene Moore and seriously wounding Sheriff C. G. Maxwell. Deputy Sheriff Eugene Moore became the first of ten law enforcement officers to be slain by what would become the Bonnie and Clyde gang.

Eugene Moore was survived by his wife Minnie and is buried in Rose Hill Cemetery, Calera, Bryan County, Oklahoma.

Clyde Barrow and Bonnie Parker were shot and killed by officer in Louisiana on May 23, 1934.

Raymond Hamilton was put to death by electrocution in Texas in January 1935.

OLEM – 7N-2-7    NLEOM – 28W18

April 15, 2021

Samuel. Robert "Bert" Moore - Deputy Sheriff

Pawnee County Sheriffs Office

Shortly after 3 p.m. on Tuesday, January 12, 1915, three unmasked men were robbing the First National Bank of Terlton. A customer was able to go out a back door and alerted the townspeople. A posse was quickly formed, including Deputy Sheriff Samuel Moore, which followed the robbers as they came out of the bank with two customers as shields. The robbers had gone about a quarter of a mile to where their horses were tied when Deputy Sheriff Samuel Moore, 39, tried to take a shot at them but instead was himself shot in the heart and killed by one of the robbers with a Winchester rifle.

Deputy Sheriff Samuel Moore was survived by his wife and four children.

Samuel Moore is buried in Jennings Cemetery, Jennings, Pawnee County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 4S-3-11    NLEOM – 41E23

April 15, 2021

Elmer “Buddy” Moorhead -  Detective

Ardmore Police Department

The afternoon of Friday, January 23, 1931, Detective Elmer “Buddy” Moorhead went to a “Squatters” camp on Highway 70 east of Ardmore to deliver some tires to a destitute family. While at the camp Detective Moorhead noticed two men setting in a green 1929 Buick with no license plate. Detective Moorhead ordered the two men out of the car. The first young man, 18-year-old Ray Wilson got out then the second man, Elbert Hart alias Pat O’Day exited the Buick. As Pat O’Day exited the car he produced a gun and ordered Detective Elmer Moorhead into the Buick. Pat O’Day got in the car after Detective Moorhead and with the gun in Detective Moorhead’s side drove off leaving Ray Wilson standing there.

Pat O’Day drove a short distance down the road, turned the 1929 Buick around and started back toward Ray Wilson. Just before reaching Wilson a gun shot was heard from inside the Buick. As the car passed Ray Wilson, Detective Elmer Moorhead was pushed from the car and died there beside the road without saying a word.

Detective Elmer Moorhead was survived by his wife Elizabeth and infant son Jack and is buried in Rose Hill Cemetery, Ardmore, Carter County, Oklahoma.


Pat O’ Day was shot and killed in a shootout with police officers in Estelline, Texas less than a week later on January 29th.

OLEM – 8S-5-2    NLEOM – 51E2

April 15, 2021

Billy Fairl Morgan, - Agent

Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs Control

On Thursday morning, July 30, 1981, Agent Billy Morgan, 29, was piloting a leased single-engine airplane looking for marijuana patches in Pittsburg County along with McAlester Police Department Corporal Ronnie Fox, 38, and Detective David Sheehan, 28.

About 8:20 a.m. the plane came out of a cloud bank and Agent Billy Morgan had to put the plane in a steep climb to avoid a mountain. During the climb both wings cracked, and the left wing fell off. The plane crashed in the foothills of the Jack Fork Mountains, six miles northeast of Daisy, just inside Pittsburg County killing all three officers.  

Agent Billy Morgan was to open the McAlester office of the OBNDD the following Monday and become the first agent in charge of the new office.

Billy Morgan was survived by his parents and is buried in Cypress Grove Cemetery, Iuka, Tishomingo County, Mississippi.

OLEM – 2N-1-17    NLEOM – 5E1

April 15, 2021

Joseph P. Morgan, - Deputy Sheriff

Muskogee County Sheriffs Office

Deputy Sheriff Joseph Morgan and Muskogee County “speed officer” (County Highway Patrolman) John Barger had been sent to El Paso, Texas by train to recover John Barger’s stolen patrol car and the Laurence brothers, William A. “Bill” and Albert B., who were arrested in El Paso still driving the stolen patrol car. The car had been stolen from Officer John Barger in Muskogee the month before.

On the return trip back to Muskogee, Oklahoma, Deputy Sheriff Joseph Morgan was riding in the front seat with Patrolman John Barger driving the recovered patrol car with the two prisoners shackled in the back seat.

About 7 p.m. on Monday, June 16, 1924, just south of Fort Worth, Texas, Albert Laurence suddenly reached forward yanking Deputy Sheriff Joseph Morgan’s gun from his holster. As Deputy Sheriff Morgan attempted to retrieve his gun, Albert Laurence shot him in the head, killing him instantly. Officer John Barger was forced to drive a ways before being told to stop the car and was forced from it. Deputy Sheriff Joseph Morgan’s body was then pulled from the car and dragged to a shallow ditch. The Laurence brothers handcuffed Officer John Barger to a tree and then fled in the patrol car a second time.

The Laurence brothers would kill two more police officers before being apprehended near Tempe, Arizona on February 6, 1925. Bill Laurence was hanged January 6, 1926 in Arizona and Albert Laurence was sentenced to life in prison in Texas for the murder of Deputy Sheriff Joseph Morgan.

Deputy Sheriff Joseph Morgan was survived by his wife Lily, their daughter and two sons.

Joseph Morgan is buried in Greenhill Cemetery, Muskogee, Muskogee County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 3S-3-6    NLEOM – 52E23

April 15, 2021

Edden “Ed” Morris, Jr. - Deputy Sheriff

Grady County Sheriff’s Office  

About 8:30 p.m. the evening of Tuesday, December 21, 1909, Deputy Sheriff Edden Morris, 47, along with Undersheriff Yearta and two Rock Island Railroad detectives went to a location south of Chickasha near the railroad tracks to watch for thieves who had broken into a railroad car full of sides of bacon and as the train moved out of the railroad yard earlier the thieves threw some of the bacon out along the way.

As the officers approached the area, they observed a black man, later identified as Will Thorp, sacking up some of the bacon. The officers surrounded Will Thorp as he took off running. The officers pursued Thorp firing their guns at him as they ran through high grass. Will Thorp fell and as they got to him the officers saw that he was shot in the head but still alive.  At the same time Deputy Sheriff Edden Morris called to the other officers that he had been shot. The officers found that Deputy Sheriff Edden Morris had been shot in the lower back apparently by one of the other officers during the foot chase. The officers called for an ambulance. Deputy Sheriff Edden Morris was transported to his home and Will Thorp was transported to jail for medical treatment.

Deputy Sheriff Edden Morris died at his home the next day, Wednesday, December 22nd at 3:55 p.m. Eden Morris had been a deputy sheriff about a year and had worked as a railroad detective before that.

Deputy Sheriff Edden Morris, Jr. was survived by his wife Esther and 19-year-old daughter Leona and is buried in Rose Hill Cemetery, Chickasha, Grady County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 8S-1-4    NLEOM –

April 15, 2021

Jesse Whitfield Morris – Deputy Sheriff / Town Marshal

Washita County Sheriff’s Office / Mountain View

About 11 p.m. Saturday night December 8, 1900 Deputy Jesse Morris was in his office when he received a phone call from a woman who advised him that three men were raising a disturbance at her place of business in the northwest part of town, a house of ill repute.

Deputy Jesse Morris deputized a young barber named Alfred Aker to go with him. When the officers reached the south door of the house the three men stepped out the north door and fired two shots. The officers ran to the east side of the house where the three men had made it to their horses. Deputy Jesse Morris told the men the shooting must stop, and the men denied doing the shooting and said it was a man who had gone in another direction. Deputy Morris pretended to believe them and planned for a better chance to arrest them as they each had their hands on their guns. The officers walked with the men up town, chatting in a friendly manner until they all entered the Cattle Exchange Saloon. Here Deputy Aker walked around behind the cigar case located at one end of the bar and Deputy Morris dropped behind and to one side of the three men. The men were “Deaf” Jim Williams, Mart Williams, and George Carr. Deputy Morris ordered the three men to throw up their hands and surrender. As quick as a flash every man drew his gun and the fight commenced.

Deaf Jim Williams was wounded first but continued to fire as he laid on the floor.

Mart Williams tried to escape but was shot as he reached his horse by another deputy who had arrived on the scene.

George Carr was wounded but was able to escape the salon after emptying both of his six shooters.

A friend of the outlaws who was also in the saloon took part and fired several shots at the officers and though gravely wounded was able to escape.

Deaf Jim Williams was arrested in the saloon that night. Mart Williams and George Carr were arrested the next day.

Deputy Jesse Morris had been shot in his right breast the ball passing through his lung and was removed from near his spine.

Deputy Aker had been shot through the kneecap and knee joint of one of his legs.

Deputy Jesse Morris healed but never fully recovered from his wounds. His lungs began hemorrhaging after several years and he died on Wednesday, February 3, 1910.

Deputy Jesse Morris was survived by his second wife Sadie and eight children, four from each marriage and is buried in Mountain View Cemetery, Mountain View, Kiowa County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 4N-2-19   NLEOM –

February 14, 2021

Henry C. Morrison - Detective

Tulsa Police Department

Henry Morrison, 52, had been in law enforcement almost twenty years, having served as an officer in Coffeyville, Kansas and as a Deputy Sheriff in Okmulgee County before joining the Tulsa Police Department on May 4, 1932.

On Sunday, April 23, 1933, Detective Henry Morrison and his partner, J.A. Mellin, apprehended two men trying to steal a car. Detective Mellin placed one suspect in his car to transport him to jail while Detective Henry Morris placed the other suspect, Dave Olinger, in his car. When Detective Henry Morrison reached the intersection of second and Kenosha Streets, Dave Olinger attacked Morrison, wrestled Morrison’s gun from him and shot him twice. Dave Olinger then guided the car into a near by service station, dumped Detective Henry Morrison’s body in the back seat and shot him two more times killing him. Dave Olinger was arrested two hours later.

Henry Morrison is buried in Snake Creek Indian Baptist Church Cemetery, Okmulgee County, Oklahoma.

Dave Olinger pled self-defense at his murder trial and was acquitted by the jury.

OLEM – 8S-5-11    NLEOM – 33W14

April 15, 2021

John W. Morrison - Deputy U. S. Marshal / City Marshal  

U. S. Marshal  / City of Sasakawa, I.T.  

Late Thursday evening, July 18, 1907, Deputy Marshal John Morrison, 37, was part of a posse searching for some men who had robbed a store in Spaulding, six miles north of Sasakwa, the night before.


About eighteen miles south of Wewoka, Deputy Marshal John Morrison was riding just ahead of his two posse when he came upon the area where the four robbers had set up an ambush. The robbers opened fire on Deputy Marshal John Morrison, killing him before his posse could arrive to help.


The four robbers, John Street, Joseph Harkins and brothers John and Ned Cudjo, were captured the next day after a gunfight in which they also killed Deputy U. S. Marshal Posse L. P. Dixon.

John Street and Joseph Harkins were charged with killing Deputy Marshal John Morrison.

John Morrison left behind a wife and two children.

The burial site of John Morrison is unknown.

OLEM – 5N-3-26    NLEOM – 13E1

April 23, 2021


Walter C. Mosier - Sheriff

Pottawatomie County Sheriffs Office

Following service in World War I Walter Mosier moved to Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma and became a deputy sheriff. In 1930 he was appointed as the Undersheriff and served in that capacity until being elected Sheriff in 1934. Mosier was re-elected in the summer of 1936 to a second term.

Sheriff Walter Mosier had gone to Mount Pleasant, Texas with N. J. Jacobs, a local General Motors employee, to repossess a car and was returning with it the afternoon of Tuesday, February 16, 1937. N. J. Jacobs was driving the repossessed car followed by Sheriff Walter Mosier. As they approached Antlers, they entered a portion of the highway that had been newly graveled. A car ahead of them was leaving a heavy dust cloud so N. J. Jacobs pulled off the road to let the dust settle. Sheriff Mosier passed him and drove into the dust cloud colliding head on with a truck. The driver of the truck was seriously injured. Sheriff Walter Mosier died from his injuries before arriving at a Hugo hospital.

Sheriff Walter Mosier was survived by his wife Bertha, son Charles, 9, and daughter Charlotte 13, and is buried in Fairview Cemetery, Shawnee, Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 7N-1-6    NLEOM – 33E27

April 23, 2021

Homer Moss - Night Officer

Madill Police Department

The evening of Thursday, April 25, 1935, Officer Homer Moss, 62, was having dinner at Sallie’s Café, a local café when Geneva Viers, a young waitress in the café, became involved in dispute with her ex-husband, William A. Taylor. Soon William Taylor pulled a gun and shot his ex-wife Geneva Viers four times. As Officer Homer Moss stood up, William Taylor him shot in the chest. William Taylor then turned the gun on himself and committed suicide.

Officer Homer Moss died in an ambulance on the way to an Ardmore hospital.

Geneva Viers died three days later.

Homer Moss had served as Madill City Manager for ten years until a year before his death. He had been the Night Officer for two months when he was killed, a position he held before becoming City Manager.

Homer Moss was survived by his second wife Meda “Dora” Claiburn and his three adult daughters, Lou Willa Lynn, Dora Mae Smith, and Dorothy Pearline Williams.

Homer Moss is buried in Woodberry-Forest Cemetery, Madill, Marshall County, Oklahoma next to he and Meda Dora’s daughter Mary Jane who died in 1923 when she was six months old. Daughter Dora Mae was buried next to her father Homer Moss upon her death in 1979.   Homer Moss and Meda “Dora” Claiburn were married in 1914 following the death of Homer’s first wife Lourinda Plato Moss in January of that year.

OLEM – 7N-1-22    NLEOM – 4E25

April 25, 2022

Marcello Garcia Moya - Guard, Deputy U S Marshal

U.S. Marshal

Marcello Moya, 34, was a Constable for Nueces County in Corpus Christi, Texas. On Tuesday, March 30, 1971, Marcelo Moya was acting as a guard for Deputy U. S. Marshal Hilton Schorre while transporting three prisoners from Texas to the El Reno Federal Prison and then transporting two other prisoners from there to the Federal Prison in Texarkana, Texas.

About 4:45 p.m. Deputy Marshal Schorre and his guard Moya had left the El Reno Federal Prison and were south bound on I-35, seven miles north of Pauls Valley with their two prisoners when a truck pulled off the shoulder of the highway in front of them. Deputy Marshal Schorre, who was driving, swerved to avoid the truck, lost control of his car, crossed the center median and struck a north bound vehicle. Deputy Marshal Hilton Schorre was killed almost instantly. Guard Marcella Moya and both federal prisoners died a few hours later in a Pauls Valley hospital. The driver of the north bound vehicle survived his injuries.

Guard Marcello Moya was survived by his wife Herminia “Minnie’ and four children.


Marcello Moya is buried in Rose Hill Memorial Park Cemetery, Corpus Christi, Nueces County, Texas.

OLEM – 1N-2-11    NLEOM – 50W6

April 23, 2021

Walter Lee Mull - Chief of Police

Dewey Police Department

On Sunday afternoon, August 11, 1918, Chief Walter Mull, 45, responded to an address on the predominantly black west side of Dewey in response to a report of a man beating a woman. Upon arrival Chief Mull spoke with the occupants of the house, Aaron Wardlow, Lucy Hazelrigg and another man. While Chief Mull was discussing the situation with the people, Aaron Wardlow began cursing him. Chief Mull placed Wardlow under arrest. Aaron Wardlow was walking in front of Chief Mull as they started to leave the house. Wardlow stepped through the door, spun around and slammed the door shut in Chief’ Mull’s face while at the same time he drew a concealed .45 caliber revolver and fired through the door. The bullet struck Chief Walter Mull in the heart killing him instantly.

Aaron Wardlow then escaped but was arrested later that evening and taken to Bartlesville for safe keeping. That night, a frustrated lynch mob burned at least twenty black families’ homes on the west side of Dewey.

Chief Walter Mull, a widower, was buried next to his wife in the Dewey Cemetery, Dewey, Washington County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 8S-2-26    NLEOM – 5E20

April 23, 2021

James H. Murphy - City Marshal

City of Fairfax

About 9 a.m. Sunday morning October 13, 1912, City Marshal James Murphy and Osage County Deputy Sheriff George Andrews went to a field to arrest W. B. Shervington on a charge of horse theft. The officers located Shervington walking on a road toward them carrying a shotgun. When ordered to drop the shot gun Shervington  took aim at the same time City Marshal James Murphy was drawing his gun. Both men fired at the same time. City Marshal James Murphy was hit by several buckshot near the heart and died. W. B. Shervington ran off unhurt as Deputy Sheriff George Andrews fired several shots at him also.

City Marshal James Murphy is buried in Fairfax Cemetery, Fairfax, Osage County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 9N-3-8    NLEOM – 47E23

April 23, 2021

Howard Edmond Murray - Deputy Sheriff

Pittsburg County Sheriffs Office

Howard E. Murray was born in Boone County, Arkansas, on October 27, 1885, to Joseph D.  and Sallie Ann Bailey Murray.

On December 23, 1903, at the age of nineteen Howard Murray married twenty -year- old Carrie Keturah Bullard in the Southern District of the Oklahoma Territory.

To this marriage two children were born, a son Malcolm Hogarth Murray on September 29, 1904, and a daughter Violet Sylvia Murray on September 5, 1908.

In early January 1910, Deputy Sheriff Howard Murray, 24, had served a search warrant on a man named George Irving Morrow. Deputy Sheriff Murray found a quantity of homemade “choc” (Choctaw for beer) and destroyed it, infuriating George Morrow.


Around 10 a.m. the morning of Tuesday, January 25, 1910, George Morrow was observed drunk on the streets of the town of Adamson by Deputy Sheriff Howard Murray. As Deputy Sheriff Murray approached, George Morrow drew his gun and fired a shot at Deputy Sheriff Murray. Deputy Sheriff Howard Murray drew his gun and returned fire, both men missing. They both fired another shot almost at the same time. Each was mortally wounded. George Morrow was shot in the heart and died instantly. Deputy Sheriff Howard Murray was shot in the head but lived until 8:30 p.m. that night.

Deputy Sheriff Howard Murray was survived by his wife Carrie and two children, son Malcolm, 5, and daughter Violet, just over one year old.

Howard Murray is buried in Oak Hill Memorial Park, McAlester, Pittsburg County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 10S-3-2    NLEOM – 25E19

January 25, 2022

James Tandy Musgrove - Sheriff

Cooweescoowee District (Rogers County)

Cherokee Nation, I.T.

On Monday, June 3, 1895, Sheriff James Musgrove went out to a home on Bird Creek north of Catoosa to arrest Frog Davis for illegally selling horses and cattle in the neighboring Osage Nation.


As Sheriff James Musgrove approached the house, Frog Davis open fire on him with a rifle through a crack in the wall of a log outbuilding. The bullet struck Sheriff Musgrove in the abdomen and he died about an hour later.

Frog Davis escaped but was arrested near Tulsa the next week. Frog Davis was tried, convicted, and sentenced to death for Sheriff Musgrove’s murder. Frog Davis was hanged September 13, 1895 and is believed to be the last person executed at the Cherokee Nation’s Prison at Tahlequah.

James Musgrove is buried in Woodlawn Cemetery, Claremore, Rogers County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 1N-2-14    NLEOM –

April 23, 2021

Lorrin Dwight “Lon” Muxlow - Patrolman

Guthrie Police Department

About 2:15 p.m. on Sunday afternoon September 7, 1913, Guthrie officers Lorrin D. Muxlow, 41, and Isaac H. Caldwell, 62, attempted to arrest Lou Green in his “bootlegger’s parlor” on the south side of Viles Street between First and Second Streets in Guthrie for yet another liquor violation. When officer Lorrin Muxlow grabbed Lou Green’s arm Green pulled away and Officer Muxlow struck him in the head with his nightstick. A fight ensued during which Officer Muxlow again struck Lou Green with his nightstick knocking him to his knees. As Lou Green started to get up, he pulled a .38 caliber automatic pistol and shot Officer Lorrin Muxlow three times, twice in the head killing him. Officer Isaac Caldwell instantly drew his gun and fired at Lou Green but missed. Lou Green fired several shots at Officer Caldwell striking him in the head killing him also.

Lon Muxlow was survived by his wife Nora and young daughter Helen.

Isaac Caldwell had been on the police force for two years and was survived by his wife and eight children.

Both officers are buried in Summit View Cemetery, Guthrie, Logan County, Oklahoma.


OLEM – 5N-5-23    NLEOM – 17E18

April 23, 2021

George Houston “Hugh” Myers - City Marshal

City of Davis

George H. “Hugh” Myers was born in Hamblen County, Tennessee, February 13, 1855. He had come to the Indian Territory about 1884 with his wife Sarah, whom he had married in 1883. “Hugh” Myers had served as the Undersheriff of Oklahoma County’s first Sheriff, Charles Colcord starting in February 1891. Myers also served as a Deputy U.S. Marshal for four years prior to becoming City Marshal of Davis.

On Saturday night, May 5, 1900, about 9 p.m., Pink Bruner, Lyman Mahardy (or McHarley) and Ben Gage were in the west part of Davis getting tanked up on rot gut whiskey and becoming rowdy. Finished with the night’s celebration, the three black men rode out of town firing their guns in the air. City Marshal “Hugh” Myers followed the trio. About half a mile out of town the trio set up an ambush and when City Marshal Myers arrived, they shot and killed him.

“Hugh” Myers was survived by his wife Sarah, daughter Wynnie, 11, and son Franklin, 9.

George H. “Hugh” Myers is buried in Green Hill Cemetery, Davis, Murray County, Oklahoma.

A party of citizen caught Lyman Mahardy at the scene, but Pink Bruner, though wounded, and Ben Gage escaped. Pink Bruner’s blood drops were easily trailed west, and he was arrested near Wild Horse Creek. Pink Bruner was tried, convicted, and sentenced to life in prison. Lyman Mahardy took sick and died before he could be tried. Ben Gage would not be arrested for fifteen years. He was arrested in Wewoka for public drunkenness. Ben Gage admitted to being involved in the murder of City Marshal “Hugh” Myers. He was then tried, convicted, and sentenced to life in prison.

OLEM – 3S-1-10 (Hugh) / 1N-2-13 (1900)   NLEOM – 48E27 [Hugh]

April 23, 2021