Oklahoma Law Enforcement Memorial

Fabrienne Margot VanArsdell - Officer

Tulsa Police Department

  At approximately 3:00 A.M. on the morning of Saturday, July 25, 1981, Officer VanArsdell, made a routine traffic stop which would turn out to be her last. VanArsdell stopped a pickup for changing lanes without signaling.  After obtaining the driver’s identification, she returned to her patrol car. The driver, Glen Ferguson, 20, went back to her patrol car and standing by the driver’s door, asked the officer if she wanted him to get in the car with her. VanArsdell told him she did not.  At that moment, Ferguson saw a vehicle approaching them and heading right for the rear of the patrol car. The collision knocked the patrol car into Ferguson’s pickup, ramming it 100 feet down the street and completely turning the patrol car around. VanArsdell’s vehicle immediately burst into flames, quickly becoming totally involved in the fire.  Ferguson tried to rescue the female officer, but the doors were locked and the flames were spreading too fast.

  Responding Tulsa officers also tried to rescue their fellow officer, but to no avail. VanArsdell’s fellow officers early on had nicknamed her “Sam” because of the difficulty pronouncing her name.  While serving as a Tulsa Police Officer she met and fell in love with one of the local Oklahoma Highway Patrol troopers, Sam VanArsdell.  After a courtship, the two married and there became two Sam VanArsdells enforcing the law in the Tulsa area. Trooper Sam VanArsdell was one of the first officers on the scene of the accident, unaware that his wife was the officer in the burning patrol car.  As soon as the other officers realized this, they hurried him away from the area as quickly as possible.  The driver of the other vehicle, Stephen Mills, 32, was arrested for Driving Under the Influence of alcohol.  Mrs. VanArsdell was the first female police officer to be killed in the line of duty in Oklahoma.


Danny Ray Vanderpool - Officer

Moore Police Department

  Moore Police Chief Don Tiffin hired Danny Vanderpool as a police officer when he was eighteen years old to work undercover narcotics. Officer Vanderpool never worked as a patrol officer. Officer Vanderpool was extraordinarily successful and his efforts lead to the largest number of arrests of drug dealers in Moore. After these arrest Officer Vanderpool could no longer work undercover in Moore.

  In the late 1970’s, it was common for smaller agencies to swap officers to work undercover. Arrangements were made for Officer Vanderpool to work for the Edmond Police Department to pose as a high school student, working as an undercover narcotics officer.  Edmond Officer Bob Easterly was loaned to the Moore Police Department to work undercover.

  On the morning of Friday, May 18, 1979, Vanderpool, now 20, was on duty working on a narcotic assignment. He had drugs on him from a case. It is believed he was in route to the OSBI lab on his motorcycle to drop the drugs in the night drop as was his practice.

  Two miles west of Highway 77, west of Guthrie, Officer Vanderpool was involved in a traffic accident. He apparently lost control of his motorcycle at a speed near 70 miles per hour and was thrown 125 feet. He was pronounced dead on arrival at a Guthrie hospital.

  The previous December, thirty-nine people had been arrested for sixty-three separate violations based upon his evidence. Vanderpool had won several trophies for racing motorcycles.  

  Danny Vanderpool was the first Moore police officer to die in the line of duty.

  Danny Vanderpool is buried in Resthaven Gardens Cemetery, Oklahoma City, Cleveland County, Oklahoma.

OLEM – 2N-1-7    NLEOM – 53W7

May 17, 2020

Christopher Michael VanKrevelen - Trooper

Oklahoma Highway Patrol

  Shortly after going on duty at 4 P.M. on Thanksgiving Day, Thursday, November 28, 2002, Trooper Van Krevelen, 29, responded to a car-train accident call. While north bound on the U.S. 81 overpass in route to the call, Trooper Van Krevelen lost control of his Camero patrol car. The Camero struck the guardrail and burst into flames. Trooper Van Krevelen died at the scene. Trooper Van Krevelen joined the OHP 3 ½ years before his death and had served with the Enid Police Department prior to that. Trooper Van Krevelen left behind his wife Jessica. They had been married 8 ½ months.

John Henry Vier -  Deputy U.S. Marshal

U.S. Marshal

  In 1903, Vier was appointed a Deputy U.S. Marshal on the recommendation of Deputy U.S. Marshal Ike Gilstrap. Vier hired Tom Dial as his posse and they worked together for the next year and a half.  They made numerous arrests and were considered an efficient team.

  At approximately 10:00 A.M. on Tuesday, February 21, 1905, the two lawmen arrived at the log cabin of a man named Hogshooter to serve a warrant on a man believed to be at the log cabin. Dial was left outside to watch for anyone trying to escape while Vier entered the cabin. Vier arrested the man in the back room of the cabin, and then walked with his prisoner into the hallway. Unknown to Vier, two of the most dangerous outlaws in the Indian Territory, John and Charlie Wickliffe, were hiding in the cabin. Before Vier had a chance to draw his weapon, the Wickliffes opened fire hitting Vier and knocking him to the floor.

  The Wickliffes then fled the cabin and seeing Dial, opened fire on him. Dial returned fire and fifteen shots were fired back and forth until the Wickliffes were able to run to into the woods. Dial entered the cabin and found his partner on the floor. Several Marshals from Tahlequah were summoned and upon their arrival found Vier deceased.

  The search began for the Wickliffe brothers.  The search continued for the next year until on March 12, 1906, the Wickliffes were located hiding at one of their uncle’s home.  During the arrest that followed Deputy U.S. Marshal Ike Gilstrap was killed and Dick Terry wounded.  

  Again the Wickliffes escaped. Two years later on March 29, 1908, Charlie Wickliffe was killed by his brother Tom during an argument. Two months later Tom and John Wickliffe surrendered to the Cherokee County Sheriff.  Tom and John Wickliffe were tried and the jury returned a verdict of not guilty, stating there was not enough evidence presented implicating either defendant in the killing of John Henry Vier.

Edward Wilhelm Johann “Ed” Von Holten,- Officer

Tulsa Police Department

  Shortly before 11 P.M. on Wednesday, March 24, 1937, Officer Von Holten was preparing to go on duty from Police Headquarters.  He had agreed to give Mrs. Stella M. Geise, a Tulsa Police Department jail matron who was just getting off duty, a ride home in his patrol car. Von Holten reached into the back seat to move a double-barrel shotgun which lay on the seat. One of the hammers of the weapon caught on the seat as the weapon was moved across the seat. The weapon discharged wounding Mrs. Geise. The discharge surprised Officer Von Holten who dropped the shotgun which discharged again when it struck the floorboard of the car. The second blast caused Officer Von Holten’s death. Officer Von Holten was 61 years old. He worked in the grocery and café business until joining the Tulsa Police force in 1932. Mrs. Geise recovered from her wounds.  Officer Von Holten was survived by his wife Jennie and two sons.